• ...and so much more!
  • COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I do want to make sure and take the bolt apart. I've heard they can go full auto if the firing pin channel gets gunk in it because of the floating firing pin. I may even get one of the replacement pins with a spring to prevent it altogether.

I took my Yugo firing pin assembly completely apart to be safe.
    Tapping that pin out wasn't as hard as I thought.
    Good luck with your new purchase and happy cleaning

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I bought one with some carvings on it a couple years ago. Wish I knew the story behind it and whether or not the trench art is real or just someone trying to be cute.

20161229_155103.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Nice! IIRC these came from Albania, provided by China as aid after Albania threw in with Mao rather than the revisionist Soviets. Quite a few of the ones I've seen have some sort of carving on them, and most are in rather rough condition overall.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, after another day of baking in the sun, I got a bunch more cosmoline off of it. I've got the bolt, bolt carrier, gas piston, recoil spring, gas tube, magazine, dust cover and trigger group all soaking in mineral spirits. Tomorrow I'll take the barrel out of the stock and finish the cleaning process. I haven't cleaned the bore of course, but from what I can see, the rifling appears to be pretty strong. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks after it's all cleaned up. Still have to take the bolt apart and clean up the firing pin and channel, but hopefully soaking it in the mineral spirits will make that easier. I'm still going to hit all the metal parts with brake cleaner to degrease them before I lube and reassemble. Going to go ahead and install the Tech Sight while I've got it all apart. If I remember correctly, I had to do a little bit of modification to the stock of my Yugo when I put one on it, so now I have an excuse to go to Harbor Freight and get a Dremel-type tool. And I've got a 25% off anything coupon from them good through tomorrow! :rockwoot:

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice! IIRC these came from Albania, provided by China as aid after Albania threw in with Mao rather than the revisionist Soviets. Quite a few of the ones I've seen have some sort of carving on them, and most are in rather rough condition overall.

Thanks John. I didn't know that about the Chinese/Albanian connection. It's not an Albanian SKS (just to be clear), although I wouldn't mind having one of those someday. Those tend to be a little pricey though.

It's been a long time since I've had to totally strip down a rifle and clean it up like this. Kinda therapeutic! :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Btw... "mud pans" for drywalling are NOT "watertight". I picked up a cheap one to soak the parts in and it started leaking mineral spirits right away. Ran inside and grabbed one of my old baking pans. My next batch of chicken wings might have a little hint of mineral spirits to them. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Went ahead and took the barrel out of the stock. I don't see any pitting or anything under the woodline. Just more cosmoline! :): Got a little head start on tomorrow's project.

uhdosbG.jpg

29uLgFR.jpg

02TIQeD.jpg

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Possibly an alias. Not a very good one, but there you go.

Oh come on thats crazy talk.. Do you think our Doggydaddy would keep the "crappy" stock he has and then sell off a better stock under a Dog Dad alias???

Hey, do not say anything about his stock being crappy.. he is kinda sensitive about it, and it would not take alot to push him over the edge.. So Hey DD just skip this. Because thats a damn cool stock you got there big fellow.. don't change a thing..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Top Bottom