• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh come on thats crazy talk.. Do you think our Doggydaddy would keep the "crappy" stock he has and then sell off a better stock under a Dog Dad alias???

Hey, do not say anything about his stock being crappy.. he is kinda sensitive about it, and it would not take alot to push him over the edge.. So Hey DD just skip this. Because thats a damn cool stock you got there big fellow.. don't change a thing..

Actually, that stock looks like it was made for the blade type bayonet (like a Russian or Yugo). And yes, I'm going to keep my very cool crappy stock. :p

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    BTW, does anyone know why the Chinese would use Arabic numerals in the serial numbers?

I thought this was an interesting question, so I did some research on it. Almost all of Asia adopted Arabic numerals back in the 1800's, but they continue to use the traditional number systems as well. Consequently, Chinese people are familiar with both in daily life. They are both Base-10 systems, so the logic is the same, there are just different characters so it is not as hard as it sounds. The reason they would choose to use Arabic numbers in the serial numbers is that there are far fewer characters involved in writing large numbers. Example: a 5 digit number in Arabic would have 9 Chinese characters, a 7 digit number in Arabic has 13 Chinese characters. Considering that they put serial numbers on a lot of the parts, some of them fairly small, it makes a lot more sense to use Arabic numbers.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I thought this was an interesting question, so I did some research on it. Almost all of Asia adopted Arabic numerals back in the 1800's, but they continue to use the traditional number systems as well. Consequently, Chinese people are familiar with both in daily life. They are both Base-10 systems, so the logic is the same, there are just different characters so it is not as hard as it sounds. The reason they would choose to use Arabic numbers in the serial numbers is that there are far fewer characters involved in writing large numbers. Example: a 5 digit number in Arabic would have 9 Chinese characters, a 7 digit number in Arabic has 13 Chinese characters. Considering that they put serial numbers on a lot of the parts, some of them fairly small, it makes a lot more sense to use Arabic numbers.

I didn't know this! Thanks for that info. Makes perfect sense now. :yesway:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, everything has been degreased (metal parts that is). Got all the innards sitting with a light coat of spray lube (QCG) now. Firing pin seems to be moving freely as it should. Getting ready to clean the bore now, then I can start on the stock.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Holy crap... No, this isn't a nightcrawler. This is the goop that came out of the bore with the first patch soaked in mineral spirits. I'm surprised I could even see the rifling at all! After cleaning though, the bore looks great.

RO72bPR.jpg

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Holy crap... No, this isn't a nightcrawler. This is the goop that came out of the bore with the first patch soaked in mineral spirits. I'm surprised I could even see the rifling at all! After cleaning though, the bore looks great.

That's good news. I saw a Norinco blade bayonet at Bare Arms in Noblesville for sale. You never see those separate is why it stuck out to me. He quoted me 50? but I think he would deal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's good news. I saw a Norinco blade bayonet at Bare Arms in Noblesville for sale. You never see those separate is why it stuck out to me. He quoted me 50? but I think he would deal.

I kind of like the spike/cruciform bayonet on the SKS just because it seems to blend in a little more when it's folded.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011

On e-bay the spike Bayonets sell in the 20-30 dollar range, blade bayonets sell in the 60 dollar range.. Russian blade will fetch a little more of a premium

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    wow, that stuff must be tough.. I can not believe that the heat did not melt that out.. That must be some kind of killer / mutant cosmo...

Make sure you step on that thing before it spawns..

RO72bPR.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    wow, that stuff must be tough.. I can not believe that the heat did not melt that out.. That must be some kind of killer / mutant cosmo...

Make sure you step on that thing before it spawns..
    Actually now that you mention it, I'd better pick it up and throw it away before I DO step in it! :):

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Definitely one of the better Albanians I've seen. Not only are quite a few I've seen beat to hell, pitted up, but also had really bad bores. Oh, BTW Klodi is a name and Shkodra is a name of a city in Albania.

Thanks John. I didn't know that about the Chinese/Albanian connection. It's not an Albanian SKS (just to be clear), although I wouldn't mind having one of those someday. Those tend to be a little pricey though.

It's been a long time since I've had to totally strip down a rifle and clean it up like this. Kinda therapeutic! :)

Right, the Chicoms sent a bunch of military (and non-military, for that matter) aid to the Albanians, everything from ammo to rifles to tanks to aircraft, and later the machinery and expertise for the Albanians to build their own stuff. That whole Albania/China/USSR deal is really fascinating. The infighting between the 2 major commie factions post-Stalin was pretty ugly. And Josef Stalin had nothing on Enver Hoxha when it came to brutality.

Interesting, I learned something today!

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Definitely one of the better Albanians I've seen. Not only are quite a few I've seen beat to hell, pitted up, but also had really bad bores. Oh, BTW Klodi is a name and Shkodra is a name of a city in Albania.

Right, the Chicoms sent a bunch of military (and non-military, for that matter) aid to the Albanians, everything from ammo to rifles to tanks to aircraft, and later the machinery and expertise for the Albanians to build their own stuff. That whole Albania/China/USSR deal is really fascinating. The infighting between the 2 major commie factions post-Stalin was pretty ugly. And Josef Stalin had nothing on Enver Hoxha when it came to brutality.

That is very cool! Thanks for the history lesson on this gun. I never would've guessed any of that!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Watched a video on "true" Albanian SKS's (the ones with the longer handguards) on Forgotten Weapons, and one thing he pointed out was that the ones made in Albania had two storage compartments in the buttstock, whereas the Chinese had only 1. Mine has two, but it has the shorter handguard, so maybe it was re-stocked at some point by the Albanians. It's almost like a hybrid of the two.

[video=youtube;-g0YFJ24OTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g0YFJ24OTc[/video]

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Watched a video on "true" Albanian SKS's (the ones with the longer handguards) on Forgotten Weapons, and one thing he pointed out was that the ones made in Albania had two storage compartments in the buttstock, whereas the Chinese had only 1. Mine has two, but it has the shorter handguard, so maybe it was re-stocked at some point by the Albanians. It's almost like a hybrid of the two.

Perhaps it was bubbaed Albanian style, Hey post a photo of the stocks storage compartments ..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom