• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • utahskies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    NWI
    Been liking death wish very smooth. Looking forward to black rifle coffee while watching range 15. On sale now 7.99 at ranger up

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...there is a coffee shop in South Whitley...

I was going to ask where but then I realized it was South Whitley so can't be too hard to find.

I like their instant sticks for backpacking. Good taste and I don't have to give Starbucks money for Via sticks.

paste_1568131723.png

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I was going to ask where but then I realized it was South Whitley so can't be too hard to find.

I like their instant sticks for backpacking. Good taste and I don't have to give Starbucks money for Via sticks.

I think it's called American Sugar Coffee House?

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    Another Question.

Who grinds their own beans. What kind of Grinder do you use and where did you get it.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob, (like single origin etheopian light roast from particular elevations) but I use a cheap burr grinder on amazon with ceramic plates and a french press. I'll try to find it, but I bought it years ago.
    If I'm grinding regular stuff for guests, I use the $7 grinder from walmart.
    Witness the duality of man.

Quick edit, I looked and don't see it. I also paid maybe $10 for it and things have gone nuts since then. You can probably find a reasonable quality hand grinder For $20 or so if you look in the right places.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm a bit of a coffee snob, (like single origin etheopian light roast from particular elevations) but I use a cheap burr grinder on amazon with ceramic plates and a french press. I'll try to find it, but I bought it years ago.

Quick edit, I looked and don't see it. I also paid maybe $10 for it and things have gone nuts since then. You can probably find a reasonable quality hand grinder For $20 or so if you look in the right places.

Hell man I am Googling what ever in the heck you said about elevations and origins and Ethiopia...……….:):

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    Hell man I am Googling what ever in the heck you said about elevations and origins and Ethiopia...……….:):

It's probably best to avoid that rabbit hole. :laugh: I did find my old burr grinder but evidently they don't make it anymore. I'd double down on a hand grinder if I knew the brands still, but if you aren't worried or super particular about your grind size the cheap electric one from wal-mart will do you fine.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    I feel like their coffee is overpriced. Trader Joe's sells their own brand of coffee (whole bean) for around $5 and it is very good. Is this at least to some extent non-special tacti-cool coffee? I don't see the appeal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I feel like their coffee is overpriced. Trader Joe's sells their own brand of coffee (whole bean) for around $5 and it is very good. Is this at least to some extent non-special tacti-cool coffee? I don't see the appeal.

Have you actually drank any of it.

Nothing Tacticool about :coffee: but they are a veteran owned operated outfit that hires veterans and supports veterens causes. That crap aaint chep so yeah I will pay a bit more for it and smile while I grind the beans.

If you do not see this then I got nothing.

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere

The BRCC stuff that I've tasted is what I would consider above average for pre-ground. Mostly, it's about supporting a good company that does good things and getting a pretty good cup of coffee out of the mix.

ChurchMouse, Burr grinders typically have ceramic plates with teeth called "burrs" in them designed to crush the bean which is more uniform and therefore a better tasting cup. I think there are metal ones, but the true snobs believe metal imparts an unpleasant flavor to them bean. (I have no idea if this is true, I've only ever used ceramic and it seems a little silly to me) If you use a blade grinder (The cheap electric one from wal-mart) It won't be as uniform of a grind and your coffee will be inconsistent. This doesn't matter as much in a Mr. Coffee or a Bunn, since you aren't controlling for water temperature etc. Of all the methods I've tried (chemex, pour overs, percolators, coffee pots, french press) the french press is far and away from the others in consistency and ease of use and most importantly flavor.

If you want the truly great experience you need a burr grinder with ceramic plates and a french press. Keep in mind you'll want a relatively coarse grind with a french press as the filtration is a steel mesh.
    If you want a quick run down of french press usage I can type one up, or you can check out Alton Brown's videos which I'm sure are on youtube somewhere.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN

Have you tried this? It's from a local Indiana company in Lafayette. I like this blend and occasionally pick up a 2 pound bag at their stand alone coffee shop up there.

https://www.coppermooncoffee.com/collections/bags/products/ethiopian

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    And Trader Joe’s is a communist SJW ****hole? Why is it every INGO thread about a product has a Cheap Charlie drop in and tell us what for about price? Walmart and Folgers is that way>>>>>>>>>>

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes, pricey, but all things considered, I’ll gladly pay.

It’s not like I go through tons of it.

I drink a 12 cup pot a day. My really good coffee addiction is substantial. I go through +/- a pound of beans a week.

I'm afraid to try BRC for fear I might like it more than mine. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And Trader Joe’s is a communist SJW ****hole? Why is it every INGO thread about a product has a Cheap Charlie drop in and tell us what for about price? Walmart and Folgers is that way>>>>>>>>>>

It is how some folks think. Buy a serious hand gun. Then buy the absolute most God awful dirty crap ammo to run in it.

But we all are who we are.

Top Bottom