• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    People don't make much sense. I'm mad cause that guy is tailgating me and that's dangerous cause he might hit me. Too many people's response is to suddenly hit the brakes which increases the probability that he will hit you, the outcome you didn't want.

My "Brake Check" consists of using my left foot to touch the brake pedal just enough to flash the brake light but I don't slow down because my gas is still being pushed. Tailgater slams his brakes and it's all on him what he causes behind his car. Key is also to remain calm.

This is learned from spending half my actual life in L.A. traffic.
    I hate tailgaters. :xmad:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    A couple of thoughts. I never pull up so close to the vehicle in front of me that I can’r pull around them - even at a McDonalds drive thru. I guess I could still be screwed if the vehicle in front backs up and traps me but - still makes me feel better.

I thought “brandishing” like this guy appears to be doing was a punishable offense. There was a recent (within the past year) incident in Boone County when a farmer spotted a vehicle doing donuts in one of his planted fields. He rolled up, blocked their escape, jumped out of his vehicle with gun drawn but muzzle reportedly pointed down towards the ground, and held the occupants while he called the Sheriff’s department.

When law enforcement arrived ( Boone County Sheriff’s Deputy ) the farmer was arrested and charged with: intimidation, and confinement - both level 5 felonies, and pointing a firearm and carrying a handgun without a license (LTCH) - both misdemeanors. He spent a night in jail before bonding out. It was discovered the .22 caliber handgun he had was not loaded. The fine young lads (2) were not charged with anything.

A recent follow up newspaper article article on page 6 of the Lebanon Reporter ( the original article was front page news for a week - partly because the farmer’s wife is a county commissioner ) stated that the farmer was charged with possession of a firearm without a LTCH, given a one year sentence which was suspended - and he was given probation. The other charges were dropped as the result of a plea agreement.

Not sure what, if any parallels, can be drawn here. There surely must be some. Regardless, suffice to say at least one lawyer (maybe 2) will make quite a bit of money from an incident like this. Undoubtedly the party with the most to lose will lose the most.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    “Brandishing” is not a crime in Indiana. If you start doing things like pointing the gun or making threats or preventing people from leaving...then you’ve got a problem.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    So I could dance around waving a gun all I like without being charged with something - or, at the very least, having law enforcement show up as the result of some public spirited citizen with a cell phone calling in their concern ?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And, if he was on his property, he doesn't need a LTCH. (Or on someone else's property with their permission to carry).

(The farmer)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh...that's too obvious. Never just slam on the brakes. Be imaginative.

Slowly reduce speed especially if there is no opportunity to pass. Then as they are very close flash brakes with out letting off the go
    peddle. If they do not get it then get real creative. Before any such actions verify they are not buried in a device. Eyes up.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    And, if he was on his property, he doesn't need a LTCH. (Or on someone else's property with their permission to carry).

(The farmer)

I would have assumed the farmer owned the field where the kids were doing donuts - or at the least he was renting from someone else. Perhaps his attorney convinced him it would be better to plead to the carrying a handgun without a license charge ( a misdemeanor ) if the prosecutor would drop the felony charges and the other misdemeanor charges.

Do you need an LTCH if you are traveling in your personal vehicle and don’t get out of it ?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would have assumed the farmer owned the field where the kids were doing donuts - or at the least he was renting from someone else. Perhaps his attorney convinced him it would be better to plead to the carrying a handgun without a license charge ( a misdemeanor ) if the prosecutor would drop the felony charges and the other misdemeanor charges.

Do you need an LTCH if you are traveling in your personal vehicle and don’t get out of it ?

Yes.
    Because you are "in public". The road is not your property.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Slowly reduce speed especially if there is no opportunity to pass. Then as they are very close flash brakes with out letting off the go
    peddle. If they do not get it then get real creative. Before any such actions verify they are not buried in a device. Eyes up.

And if there are two lanes of travel in the direction you are headed pace a vehicle in the other lane so said tailgater is stuck behind you. Watch as they pull into the other lane to pass as you close the gap so he can't cut you off. Then he pulls back in behind your truck and cautiously watch the fireworks as the driver has a nuclear meltdown. Then when you have made you point turn off somewhere with lots of witnesses if possible.

Top Bottom