• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    That Dick Trickle article is the best pieces of motorsports journalism I’ve ever read. When I first saw it a few years back we were down at Dale Hollow and I read the whole thing to our Dad on the houseboat. Several times I stopped and looked at him and said “that’s you”. When I got to the last few paragraphs I had to hand the phone to our Mom because I couldn’t finish it.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    On a related note, back in about ‘92 they had the IROC cars at the Speedway doing a feasibility study, I suppose, for the first Brickyard 400. One of the Sauters and Dick Trickle was there running the cars. They were running about 163 mph average and Trickle kept trying to get Dad to run the car but John Menard wouldn’t let him (I think this was in April, with the 500 coming up). Finally on the second day, they all talked Menard into it, Dad saying he’d “take it easy”. First lap by was 167 mph. When he came in, Trickle asked “How did you do that?”. Dad replied “Just follow my black marks in all four corners.”

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On a related note, back in about ‘92 they had the IROC cars at the Speedway doing a feasibility study, I suppose, for the first Brickyard 400. One of the Sauters and Dick Trickle was there running the cars. They were running about 163 mph average and Trickle kept trying to get Dad to run the car but John Menard wouldn’t let him (I think this was in April, with the 500 coming up). Finally on the second day, they all talked Menard into it, Dad saying he’d “take it easy”. First lap by was 167 mph. When he came in, Trickle asked “How did you do that?”. Dad replied “Just follow my black marks in all four corners.”

Lol that's awesome.
    The Dick Trickle story really got me to thinking about a number of drivers who faded into history. Made me feel kinda old...but I miss the old days

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    By the look of the new car package, it looks as if the stages and finish are gonna be the only excitement Sunday?

Or if Jimmy Johnson is behind you! 2 races and 2 wrecks caused with the excuse of "I don't know what happened" If he were behind me i just might let him pass....maybe thats his plan

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Blaney wins stage 2!

source.gif

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This Byron kid that's leading right now looks like he has a lot of potential. Only been racing (at all) for 6 years.... got rookie of the year in Truck 3 years ago, Xfinity two years ago and last year in Cup. :wow:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom