• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Be nice to know. If not the douche nozzles are still out there.

The general consensus from investigators was that these dudes are likely too high up on the food chain to have been involved in common burglary. They were more into home invasions and strong armed drug robberies. ETA: Hence their willingness to roll down to a drug house in Kentucky with a duffel bag full of ski masks, zip ties and stolen guns, which is how this whole thing started.

The intended victims got word they were coming down and stopped them the first time around, held them at rifle point and sent them back home. In the process discovered the bag, including my revolver. The decided to keep the gun for their trouble.

It was a few months later that these dudes allegedly came back down and strangled three people, including a 14 year old kid because they were mad they got punked. Allegedly.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The general consensus from investigators was that these dudes are likely too high up on the food chain to have been involved in common burglary. They were more into home invasions and strong armed drug robberies. ETA: Hence their willingness to roll down to a drug house in Kentucky with a duffel bag full of ski masks, zip ties and stolen guns, which is how this whole thing started.

The intended victims got word they were coming down and stopped them the first time around, held them at rifle point and sent them back home. In the process discovered the bag, including my revolver. The decided to keep the gun for their trouble.

It was a few months later that these dudes allegedly came back down and strangled three people, including a 14 year old kid because they were mad they got punked. Allegedly.

This is possibly the understatement of the year, but these are the people we do not want in society.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Got an update from the ATF agent. The guy convicted as a result of the Federal gun case I testified in has been sentenced. He got 6 years on the gun charge. Max would have been 10.

The murder trial is still at least a year out. They don't know yet if they'll introduce my revolver as evidence any any of the three trials. So basically I'm no closer to getting my gun back.

https://www.thetimestribune.com/new...cle_7b219229-286f-5107-b6a7-9503e7b1fd51.html

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Did insurance replace your revolver?

Sort of. They replaced it with a .38 Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. Not even close to the same as the Colt.

I traded that Bodyguard off a long time ago. But yes, presumably if I ever get the gun back I would need to pay back the insurance company for cost of it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sort of. They replaced it with a .38 Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. Not even close to the same as the Colt.

I traded that Bodyguard off a long time ago. But yes, presumably if I ever get the gun back I would need to pay back the insurance company for cost of it.

Did the actually "replace" it or did they give you $$$ for what they think it was worth?

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    They replaced it by buying me the Bodyguard and shipping it to a local FFL. I had to do the 4473 to take possession.

That's pretty bunk. In what world is a plastic Smith & Wesson Bodyguard the same as a steel Colt Detective Special? I mean, I'm an avowed S&W fan and this is still pretty nonsense. Maybe if they had given you a S&W Model 12 or Model 36.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That's pretty bunk. In what world is a plastic Smith & Wesson Bodyguard the same as a steel Colt Detective Special? I mean, I'm an avowed S&W fan and this is still pretty nonsense. Maybe if they had given you a S&W Model 12 or Model 36.

Agreed, but I bought the Colt used and it was a steal @ $400. They were willing to replace it with something of equivalent value to what I had paid, not what it was potentially worth. I agreed to the deal, so it is what it is.

I eventually turned that Bodyguard into a Glock 42, then a Ruger LCR, then a case of .223, so I had fun along the way.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Agreed, but I bought the Colt used and it was a steal @ $400. They were willing to replace it with something of equivalent value to what I had paid, not what it was potentially worth. I agreed to the deal, so it is what it is.

I eventually turned that Bodyguard into a Glock 42, then a Ruger LCR, then a case of .223, so I had fun along the way.
    Have you ever seen the show, "Barter Kings"? The basic premise of the show is that these guys have a customer that wants "X". Then they start with something relatively cheap, and keep bartering for other items, with the goal of trading up until they can finally trade for "X" which they then sell to their customer (at least that's how I think it worked). I'm not sure if going from a $400 pistol to a case of .223 was trading up, but I guess that depends on what kind of .223 and what the going price was at the time.

ETA: Please don't take that as a criticism. I've made trades that were probably not advantageous to me, but I did them because I wanted whatever I was trading for more than what I was trading away.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Have you ever seen the show, "Barter Kings"? The basic premise of the show is that these guys have a customer that wants "X". Then they start with something relatively cheap, and keep bartering for other items, with the goal of trading up until they can finally trade for "X" which they then sell to their customer (at least that's how I think it worked). I'm not sure if going from a $400 pistol to a case of .223 was trading up, but I guess that depends on what kind of .223 and what the going price was at the time.

ETA: Please don't take that as a criticism. I've made trades that were probably not advantageous to me, but I did them because I wanted whatever I was trading for more than what I was trading away.

No offense taken.

I don't buy guns to make money. I buy them because they're fun and they fill specific roles. The Glock 42 and Ruger we're pocket guns. Eventually a Ruger LCP took on that role so the others could go. No I didn't trade up, but I got to try a few different pieces. And I used the ammo in the Revere's Riders .223 carbine class, so the training I got there was more valuable than a gun I don't like sitting in the safe.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They replaced it by buying me the Bodyguard and shipping it to a local FFL. I had to do the 4473 to take possession.

Interesting. I'm surprised they just didn't cut a check? Just curious (if you don't mind answering), was this a standard Home Owner's/Renter's policy or a specific gun policy? Was there a reason they just did not write you a check? Apologies if I missed that somewhere previously posted in the thread.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    we had an instance where an insurance company sent in guns to replace some that had been stolen (5 or 10 i think), the insurance company had replaced them with current market guns,(ie his old beat up 870 was replaced with a nib 870) and i'll be damned if the guy didn't get denied! (we had to do a 4473 on the guns)., he filed an appeal...and was denied AGAIN!, he tried to send someone else in to get them, we couldn't transfer them to the other person (straw purchase!)

so sometime between when he purchased them, and the time they were stolen, he became a felon!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Interesting. I'm surprised they just didn't cut a check? Just curious (if you don't mind answering), was this a standard Home Owner's/Renter's policy or a specific gun policy? Was there a reason they just did not write you a check? Apologies if I missed that somewhere previously posted in the thread.

Standard home owner policy. A check was an option. I chose to have them replace it. Again, the Colt had filled a specific role, jacket pocket gun and night stand gun the wife could use. (It was actually unsecured in the night stand drawer when it was stolen.)

I chose to get a replacement rather than the money because I had a specific role I needed to fill and was just quicker and easier than shopping around for something new.

Top Bottom