• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I haven't been over that way in years.
    I try to avoid it. I have a listing in Greenwood now and I go farther south than the listing to take and east-west route that gets no traffic. Even though I have to travel farther south to get to it, it shaves 10 minutes off my time, because the direct route is so full of traffic and stop lights, you do more sitting than moving. And that's not even the worst areas.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I try to avoid it. I have a listing in Greenwood now and I go farther south than the listing to take and east-west route that gets no traffic. Even though I have to travel farther south to get to it, it shaves 10 minutes off my time, because the direct route is so full of traffic and stop lights, you do more sitting than moving. And that's not even the worst areas.

Used to be, when coming from the south (eg. Bedford), if you were going to the west side of Indy, the airport, etc, it saved a few minutes by going up 67. Old habits are hard to break. A month or so ago, my wife was driving and we were coming home from the west side and out of the force of habit, she dropped off onto 67. I think she has now sworn that route off :)

ETA: We just aren't shoppers. We rarely go to malls and the like. Way bake, we'd hit the Greenwood Mall a time or two a year, stop by Toys R Us to get kids stuff, etc. But we broke (most :) ) or those habits and we don't visit any malls/shopping centers anymore. (Walmart doesn't count, does it?).

Last edited:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    We moved hear in 2010, settled on Carmel because it looked nice, had good school, is clean, and overall very comfortable to live. I don't know what it was like before, but compared to the surrounding communities of Indianapolis, it was a no brainier for us when we were looking for a nice place to live. We came from a much larger city to here.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Used to be, when coming from the south (eg. Bedford), if you were going to the west side of Indy, the airport, etc, it saved a few minutes by going up 67. Old habits are hard to break. A month or so ago, my wife was driving and we were coming home from the west side and she and out of the force of habit, she dropped off onto 67. I think she has now sworn that route off :)
    It's probably still the best, to be honest. But then I know all the back roads between 465 and Mooresville so I don't have to use it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's probably still the best, to be honest. But then I know all the back roads between 465 and Mooresville so I don't have to use it.

Probably when I-69 construction work gets up to and past Martinsville, there'll be tons of new traffic up and down 67.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Bite your tongue. I'm blaming you if it happens.

:p

:laugh:

My wife has to drive through it in Bloomington every day...It's not pretty and it's just at the intersection at 37 right now. I can't imagine when they get going on the 37 ROW and that's all one-laned FOR MILES...:puke:

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    I happen to know that the veto of the conservation district - on laughable "transparency" grounds - directly impacts a good, solid INGOer. He was involved in organizing it.

This latest thing is a slapdown to anyone that disagrees with what the mayor wants to accomplish.

I've lived in Carmel since 1980. The Mayor has done some good things in Carmel over the years. He has been terrible at infrastructure. That doesn't get the big headlines. I have seen as much as 21 inches of water on my road in downtown Carmel. We finally got some news coverage and some City Councilmen to help get the ball rolling to get the problem solved. Then the Mayor tried to stop that but was unsuccessful. The Mayor had funds to fix the flooding of the homes on Guildford Rd years ago but spent it on other pet projects of his.

I was also one that wanted to protect Johnson Addition. We were not transparent in ANY of our meetings. We handed out flyers around the neighborhood for every meeting. We had the Mayor at the first one. Had many Council members at them as well. The Historical Council meeting about Johnson Addition becoming a Conservation District, was advertised in advance in the paper and with 4 signs around the neighborhood as required by law. We had 54 % of the neighbor's sign the petition in favor of Johnson Addition becoming a Conservation District. It passed the Historical Council 6 to 0. It passed the City Council 4 to 3 . The majority rule was thrown out the window by the Mayor. And before anyone says 54% isn't a very big majority and 46% were apposed that is not the case. There were still homeowners we could not contact for one reason or another. Any oh by the way 54% would elect any politician for any office they were running for!

While I have not been involved in local politics up until the last few years I will help anyone that will run against the Mayor. He's nothing but a 2 faced politician that will say anything he sees fit at the time to make you think he's on your side and then will do everything he can behind the scenes to make it not happen .

Term Limits would be the best think to happen in Indiana and the country. https://termlimits.org/term-limits/state-term-limits/city-term-limits/

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ohh and Keystone, ugh. Why the hell did the state have to turn that over to Carmel. Build the damn thing without adequate clearance for trucks. Four lanes? Come on.

Now the state has to come in and upgrade 31 and Do it right, because Keystone is fecked up.

The state should have imminent domained both 31 and keystone enough ROW to build two interstate quality highways thru there. Six lane elevated to where they meet. Full cloverleaf interchanges. The whole nine yards. The six lane interstate out the Westfield.
    Whew! Glad you weren't in charge! :D

Keystone is awesome, as is. The 31 improvements were part of what motivated changing Keystone. Without a better traffic flow on Keystone, the 31 upgrade would have been MUCH harder to handle (along with Springmill and Pennsylvania improvements).

Not to mention that the biggest hangup for making Keystone a superhighway was the cost of right of way. As you tacitly acknowledge, things are expensive in Carmel, including property. If INDOT had done Keystone like you describe, it would have been millions of dollars more expensive.

As it happened, INDOT sold a long term maintenance nightmare to Carmel, and Carmel got to build it the way we wanted.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Keystone is awesome, as is.

No, Most of Keystone is awesome. They funnel all this traffic without stop lights all the way from 31 to almost 465 and have a stop light. By having that one light there screwed up what could be an awesome road.

Chuck

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, ok, 96th street sucks. And the fact you can't get onto soutbound Keystone from 146th St. (That' due to Westfield's poor planning, by the way.)

There's kinda a story behind why 96th Street hasn't been done. I don't even know all of it. Something about how there was supposed to be state/fed financing, but it fell through.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah, ok, 96th street sucks. And the fact you can't get onto soutbound Keystone from 146th St. (That' due to Westfield's poor planning, by the way.)

There's kinda a story behind why 96th Street hasn't been done. I don't even know all of it. Something about how there was supposed to be state/fed financing, but it fell through.

Yes, I've always wondered why that didn't happen. Can you explain why it's Westfield's fault. I'm truly curious, not trying to stir the pot.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, I've always wondered why that didn't happen. Can you explain why it's Westfield's fault. I'm truly curious, not trying to stir the pot.

Sure, trying to be as fact-based as possible.

First, the background.

The boundary between Carmel and Westfield is 146th Street. Anything north of that is the responsibility of Westfield's planning and zoning. I remember when 146th Street didn't even cross 31, in the mid-70s. After they put 146th Street across, then it opened up the area for more development - notably that Marsh and then Walmart.

As a legal side-note, when municipalities share a border, to prevent one side from having too much authority or too much responsibility, there's a statute that makes any 1 municipality responsible for their southern and eastern (I think its eastern, been awhile since I looked at it) road-boundaries. So, Carmel is basically responsible for 96th St. and Westfield for 146th.

Westfield allowed Greyhound Pass to basically be the funky entrance into the retail area. Eventually, that required 2 lights in rather close proximity to each other on 31. Apparently, they borrowed from Kokomo's playbook. Within a few short years, that area was a nightmare.

That was the beginning of the problem.

Fast forward to when they put the bridge over 31, before the current 31 upgrades. Westfield specifically did not add Keystone access. I'm not sure why that happened, but suspect it was to save money.

Then, for the current 31 upgrades, INDOT sought input from affected municipalities, like Carmel and Westfield. Carmel pushed for access points on the new 31 at specific interchanges, and mostly got them. My understanding is that Westfield pushed for the current system where you have to go north from 146th to 156th to double back on 31 to access the Keystone exit. There were early drawings of a modified cloverleaf to allow for 146th St. to get to Keystone directly, but Westfield didn't think it was necessary. Also, due to the way the area had built up under Westfield's leadership, the cost would have been significantly higher.

Now, the Keystone access would had to have been on Carmel's side of 146th. But, by the time Clay Terrace and Lowes went in, the traffic pattern was already f'd up. That's why I blame Westfield. :)

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I see. I remember when 146th was a very narrow gravel road, well before all those shops were there. My Uncle built his house on Hazel Dell south of 146th, which was the "sticks," so to speak. I remember going over to help (play in the woods/fields) while my Dad helped him build it.

Thanks for the info.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I see. I remember when 146th was a very narrow gravel road, well before all those shops were there. My Uncle built his house on Hazel Dell south of 146th, which was the "sticks," so to speak. I remember going over to help (play in the woods/fields) while my Dad helped him build it.

Thanks for the info.
    Your Uncle wouldn't happen to be named Mark, would he?

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    i grew up on the very east side of carmel, next to the river. It was awesome, rode bikes, had a stream through my backyard, that was around 20 years ago, i've recently driven through that neighborhood and its nowhere near as nice as when i lived there. But they've got massive gov't buildings and ridiculous statues all around the artsy fartsy spots. It makes me think they are trying to have there little beverly hills area and act like they are doing high end shopping in upscale rare boutique stores, sooo posh!! i stay away

Top Bottom