Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I thought the 49ers would dump him this year. He hasn't been much the last couple of years. Any NFL quarterback whose success depends on his legs over his arm is going to have a very short shelf life in that league.

I read a while back that Harbaugh had a simplified offense and automatic checkdowns for Smith and Kaepernick. His most successful season was the year he took Smith's job. That was the year the 49'ers had the #1 offensive line. It was when read-ootion still stymied defenses. None of those things are true for the 49'ers anymore. Kaepernick must get a new game or sit on the bench.

I am also watching a Christopher Walken movie...
    Multitasking. Wish I could do that.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    For me, standing for a national anthem before a game is not about nationalism, it is about respect. Whether it is the US anthem, Canadian anthem, or some other nation's anthem the players and crowd should be showing respect. While the teams cannot control the crowds, they should make sure that their players are showing respect.

Precisely this. I stand. Hand on heart, words of the anthem going through my mind if not passing my lips ( out of respect for those around me-ain't a great singer!) - out of respect for those who serve now or served in the past. I do this regardless of whether our political rulers are currently espousing policies I agree with. It's about respect for the souls of those who gave us the gift of freedom, even if it gets corrupted from time to time. It still polishes up nicely when we make the effort to do so.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Precisely this. I stand. Hand on heart, words of the anthem going through my mind if not passing my lips ( out of respect for those around me-ain't a great singer!) - out of respect for those who serve now or served in the past. I do this regardless of whether our political rulers are currently espousing policies I agree with. It's about respect for the souls of those who gave us the gift of freedom, even if it gets corrupted from time to time. It still polishes up nicely when we make the effort to do so.
    :yesway::yesway:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    But that was religious freedom. We know we are supposed to be against it no matter what.

Of course. I keep forgetting about when it's appropriate to use government force and when it's not. It's not as consistent as I would have thought.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I read a while back that Harbaugh had a simplified offense and automatic checkdowns for Smith and Kaepernick. His most successful season was the year he took Smith's job. That was the year the 49'ers had the #1 offensive line. It was when read-ootion still stymied defenses. None of those things are true for the 49'ers anymore. Kaepernick must get a new game or sit on the bench.

Considering how Smith is performing and how dumbass is performing, I am betting that SF regrets that decision.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Although it's nice when they are, I don't expect athletes to be role models. I expect them to play as well as they can, and not violate the law.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    How bout sitting out the game in protest of all the criminal activities of your fellow NFL brethren?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

The option is unstoppable when you have the players to run it. The problem, is that every once in a while your quarterback gets smoked, and no team wants their golden boy qb to swallow his teeth.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Just an FYI for those calling him dumb or an idiot....he's not.

He reportedly scored a 38/50 on the Wonderlic test at the combine. The NFL average is 20.

Peyton Manning scored 28.

Andrew Luck scored a 37.

And FWIW I don't think he would have done this if he was still the starting QB.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just an FYI for those calling him dumb or an idiot....he's not.

He reportedly scored a 38/50 on the Wonderlic test at the combine. The NFL average is 20.

Peyton Manning scored 28.

Andrew Luck scored a 37.

And FWIW I don't think he would have done this if he was still the starting QB.

I thought this too. He may be trying to **** the 49er's off to get a trade.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So upon further reflection, this is kind of brilliant, in a Machiavellian way. Kaeppernick sucks, but is making a lot of dough to suck. SF needs a good QB, and could use the salary cap room to get somebody good. Preseason is the time teams make most of their moves to address such issues.But Colin is ahead of the game. He makes a statement on the national stage that much of the target market is sympathetic to, and will be supported by liberal sports media. Now the 49ers are in a pickle. It is a PR nightmare at this point to cut him. Ole Crapernick gets to keep his sweet salary and ride the bench for at least a few more games, if not all season.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The option is unstoppable when you have the players to run it. The problem, is that every once in a while your quarterback gets smoked, and no team wants their golden boy qb to swallow his teeth.

It's more than just that. At the college level defensive coordinators have tried things like gap swap, where the unblocked lineman goes for the RB, which causes the QB to read "run". And then the LB is there waiting for him. Not a lot of colleges have the personnel to run that successfully against the option so offenses running it in college still run it successfully. Except against teams like Alabama who often field fast enough defenses to make QBs pay for running it.

Not many teams run it in the NFL anymore. I agree that it's largely because the payoff isn't worth the QB's health. But I disagree that it's unstoppable. With fast DEs and LBs, and good obfuscation, it's now stoppable often enough to make it not worth the QB's health to run it much.

And that's all Kaepernick ever really had. He's a read option guy with a strong arm and and questionable decision making skills from the pocket. Outside of option plays, he's mediocre. Option QBs guys like Russel Wilson still do well in the NFL because they're also good in the pocket.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So upon further reflection, this is kind of brilliant, in a Machiavellian way. Kaeppernick sucks, but is making a lot of dough to suck. SF needs a good QB, and could use the salary cap room to get somebody good. Preseason is the time teams make most of their moves to address such issues.But Colin is ahead of the game. He makes a statement on the national stage that much of the target market is sympathetic to, and will be supported by liberal sports media. Now the 49ers are in a pickle. It is a PR nightmare at this point to cut him. Ole Crapernick gets to keep his sweet salary and ride the bench for at least a few more games, if not all season.

Seems a waste to put your franchise QB on the bench. If they play him, and he sucks, it's kinda hard to question cutting him.

And if they did cut him, it's not like he couldn't find a starting job. I can't imagine that a team like Denver wouldn't pick up him up if SF cut him. I'm not convinced Siemian is the guy who can lead the Broncos to the playoffs. Kaeppernick possibly could be if he could develop his pocket skills more.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's more than just that. At the college level defensive coordinators have tried things like gap swap, where the unblocked lineman goes for the RB, which causes the QB to read "run". And then the LB is there waiting for him. Not a lot of colleges have the personnel to run that successfully against the option so offenses running it in college still run it successfully. Except against teams like Alabama who often field fast enough defenses to make QBs pay for running it.

Not many teams run it in the NFL anymore. I agree that it's largely because the payoff isn't worth the QB's health. But I disagree that it's unstoppable. With fast DEs and LBs, and good obfuscation, it's now stoppable often enough to make it not worth the QB's health to run it much.

And that's all Kaepernick ever really had. He's a read option guy with a strong arm and and questionable decision making skills from the pocket. Outside of option plays, he's mediocre. Option QBs guys like Russel Wilson still do well in the NFL because they're also good in the pocket.

Unstoppable. Look at Oklahoma in the 80s, and probably the best example Nebraska 95-96. They could beat you the best criminal athlete of All-Time, rb Lawrence Phillips (his back-up up was damn Ahman Green!!!), the Golden Boy qb Tommy Frazier, the steamroller FB Joel Makovicaka, or TE Sheldon Jackson. But this was when football was still football, and you could bash a guy in the teeth, and everyone would cheer, rather that go "OMG, it's too violent, let's protect out players," compounded infinitely when talking about the crybabies in the NFL.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom