• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    What MOST people mean is "aluminum alloy".

But even steel is an alloy. So unless your frame is plastic or wood, it's an alloy.

Seems like there is a lot of Corinthian leather in the gun world.

Corinthian leather is a term coined by the advertising agency Bozell to describe the upholstery used in certain Chrysler luxury vehicles. The term first appeared in advertising in 1974.[SUP][1][/SUP] Although this is merely a marketing concept, it suggests that the term -not the product- was inspired from the more elaborate and impressive ancient Greek column of the Corinthian order.
    While the term was first used during the marketing campaign for the 1974 Imperial LeBaron, it is usually associated with the marketing campaign for the 1975 Cordoba and that campaign's celebrity spokesperson, Ricardo Montalban, who described the thickly-cushioned luxury of seats available even in "rich Corinthian leather".[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP]
    Despite the exotic origin suggested by the name "Corinthian leather", much of the leather used in Chrysler vehicles during the era originated from a supplier located outside Newark, New Jersey.[SUP][5][/SUP]
    Some sources say the term refers to the combination of leather seating surfaces and vinyl seat sides.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] However, most cars worldwide with "leather upholstery" have matching color vinyl seat bases and often the rear faces of the front seats, the head rests, and the door facings. The standard term in period car catalogs was "leather with vinyl", and sometimes "leather seat facings". When Montalban was asked by David Letterman on Late Night with David Letterman what the term meant, the actor playfully admitted that the term meant nothing.[SUP][8][/SUP]

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    What MOST people mean is "aluminum alloy".

But even steel is an alloy. So unless your frame is plastic or wood, it's an alloy.

You HOPE it's at least aluminum alloy. Since ZAMAK is also an "alloy" you can end up with some pretty cheap junk under the ambiguity of the term "alloy." (ZAMAK is a trademarked blend of mostly zinc-- its cheap pot metal but because it casts very well (complex shapes) and is CHEAP, it's super popular.).

That's why it's such a bad idea to make generalizations based on "Steel" or "aluminum" or "plastic." There's a HUGE variety from uber-capable to pure garbage within each of those large families of materials.

Uber capable plastic? Yes. It's called "torlon" and it's more expensive than you'd ever imagine a plastic could be:
    https://drakeplastics.com/torlon/

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Seems like there is a lot of Corinthian leather in the gun world.

Corinthian leather is a term coined by the advertising agency Bozell to describe the upholstery used in certain Chrysler luxury vehicles. The term first appeared in advertising in 1974.[SUP][1][/SUP] Although this is merely a marketing concept, it suggests that the term -not the product- was inspired from the more elaborate and impressive ancient Greek column of the Corinthian order.
    While the term was first used during the marketing campaign for the 1974 Imperial LeBaron, it is usually associated with the marketing campaign for the 1975 Cordoba and that campaign's celebrity spokesperson, Ricardo Montalban, who described the thickly-cushioned luxury of seats available even in "rich Corinthian leather".[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP]
    Despite the exotic origin suggested by the name "Corinthian leather", much of the leather used in Chrysler vehicles during the era originated from a supplier located outside Newark, New Jersey.[SUP][5][/SUP]
    Some sources say the term refers to the combination of leather seating surfaces and vinyl seat sides.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] However, most cars worldwide with "leather upholstery" have matching color vinyl seat bases and often the rear faces of the front seats, the head rests, and the door facings. The standard term in period car catalogs was "leather with vinyl", and sometimes "leather seat facings". When Montalban was asked by David Letterman on Late Night with David Letterman what the term meant, the actor playfully admitted that the term meant nothing.[SUP][8][/SUP]

I totally remember those Ricardo Montalban ads. For cars that were based on a K-car.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You HOPE it's at least aluminum alloy. Since ZAMAK is also an "alloy" you can end up with some pretty cheap junk under the ambiguity of the term "alloy." (ZAMAK is a trademarked blend of mostly zinc-- its cheap pot metal but because it casts very well (complex shapes) and is CHEAP, it's super popular.).

That's why it's such a bad idea to make generalizations based on "Steel" or "aluminum" or "plastic." There's a HUGE variety from uber-capable to pure garbage within each of those large families of materials.

Uber capable plastic? Yes. It's called "torlon" and it's more expensive than you'd ever imagine a plastic could be:
    https://drakeplastics.com/torlon/

Torlon sounds Familiar. Referring back to the racing days. It was used or at least discussed on some project. Memory is vague. :fogey:

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Just got done talking with them. They said their vices were lined and couldnt mar the surface. They were very polite . Even though they believed that they couldnt have caused the marks. they said they would refinish the slide. I'm very appreciative that they will make this right

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Yea they said they would repair the slide. I'm gonna see what a local gunsmith thinks before I send it off.he comes recommended.

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Took it to the range and ran 150 rounds through it. No failures. Slide was even locking to the back on last round. Now I've shot 10mm in selior belot,magtech,armscor,and herters. All of them ran fine. Would like to try some Underwood and some federal. Wish double tap made some full power range loads

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Took it to the range and ran 150 rounds through it. No failures. Slide was even locking to the back on last round. Now I've shot 10mm in selior belot,magtech,armscor,and herters. All of them ran fine. Would like to try some Underwood and some federal. Wish double tap made some full power range loads

Glad to hear it is running.

Sig also makes a decent middle of the road range loads. Runs about 1275 FPS with 180 gr. Buffalo bore has some nice offerings too.

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Yea I agree both that sig ammo is some expensive stuff. I tried a box, couldnt feel a difference between it and the magtech. I felt like the sig was a little cleaner.i might buy another box to do another compare.

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    I didnt end up sending in. Feel like their incompetent. Rather have somebody like church mouse or somebody refinish it once I'm done breaking it in. I've always wanted to try robar finish so I might have the whole gun robared.

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Another 200 or so rounds before I feel like it's good and broken in. Also to make sure it doesnt have a repeat with the slide and frame.

Last edited:

EmMiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2019
    US
    Hello all. First post, from NWI.

I have had an ongoing, very similar issue with Dan Wesson for the last few months.

I purchased a 10mm bruin last year, picked it up from the ffl and ran a box thru it before I left. Got home and tore it down and upon closer inspection found a number of serious cosmetic flaws, both in the machining under the finish, and in the duty finish. Also had severe bullet setback issues with EVERY round of factory ammo cycled in the gun, on the first racking. Hornady, sig, remington, federal, DT, GD.

Contacted DW and sent pics. Smith said it shouldn't have gone out like that, and he would personally build me a NEW bruin. I send the gun in and about a week later, receive an email claiming the company VP (Keith) looked the gun over and says its fine and falls within QC spec. I threw a fit, and after a number of emails back and forth, they reluctantly offer to fit a new slide and it will take 8 to 12 weeks.

Fair enough as long as I receive a $2,000 pistol for my $2k.

Well 8 weeks later the pistol arrives. It looks absolutely great on the outside. I tear it down to find the nastiest scratching inside the dust cover to bare steel, from what I then figure out to be caused by a guide rod that was never deburred, I assume happened on final assembly. I can't imagine they would knowingly send out a gun with such obvious damage. Also has very uniform rough milling marks inside the ejection port clearly from trashed tooling, and on the only internal part of the pistol you can actually SEE when it's assembled.. Nice. Then I start putting the gun back together... And the slide has serious vertical play, and more than acceptable horizontal play. The gun was typical DW tight when I sent it to them. Looking at the rails, very rough fitment was performed on this frame to fit the slide, with pretty rough wear at the rear corners. This gun had 50 rounds thru it when I sent it.

After being told that it is what it is, and that the wear is normal, the scratching normal, and attempting to bullcrap their way out of fixing it, Keith finally agrees to refund the gun. He also attempted to claim that DW makes looser guns because the customer base apparently doesn't know how to lube guns right, and they have too minimize warranty claims. My response to that was along the lines of, "I sent you a VERY tight gun, you sent me back a loose battle rattle gun". Keith also exclaimed that I could have spent 3k to 5k on a real custom gun with similar features instead of expecting this gun to be, you know, as advertised. Apparently that's acceptable business practice nowadays.

I have all the emails saved. Along with pics of the pistol in its original condition, and condition when I received it back.from warranty. I also have a video showing the very audible vertical and horizontal, colt like slide play. Completely unbelievable. I bought my first dan wesson, an original CBOB back in 2006 IIRC.. For a whopping $769 brand new, not a blem gun, at cabelas of the shelf.. Man how things change. I assume the market has these companies really hurting if DW is willing to do things like this to decade long customers. What a shame. I want sure if I would share this experience on forums, at least until it was finalized. But this thread pushed me over the edge.

I'll post again tomorrow with pics and such if anyone is interested. I will post the emails, whatever anyone is interested in seeing. Customers need to be warned of practices like this. I feel bad for recommending DW to do many people over the last 10 or 12 years. I always touted then as the very best production 1911 one could buy, and an extreme value for the money spent. Those days are done.

All this happened in the same time frame as this thread.
    I'm still waiting on the refund... They have the gun and the money at the moment.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hello all. First post, from NWI.

I have had an ongoing, very similar issue with Dan Wesson for the last few months.

I purchased a 10mm bruin last year, picked it up from the ffl and ran a box thru it before I left. Got home and tore it down and upon closer inspection found a number of serious cosmetic flaws, both in the machining under the finish, and in the duty finish. Also had severe bullet setback issues with EVERY round of factory ammo cycled in the gun, on the first racking. Hornady, sig, remington, federal, DT, GD.

Contacted DW and sent pics. Smith said it shouldn't have gone out like that, and he would personally build me a NEW bruin. I send the gun in and about a week later, receive an email claiming the company VP (Keith) looked the gun over and says its fine and falls within QC spec. I threw a fit, and after a number of emails back and forth, they reluctantly offer to fit a new slide and it will take 8 to 12 weeks.

Fair enough as long as I receive a $2,000 pistol for my $2k.

Well 8 weeks later the pistol arrives. It looks absolutely great on the outside. I tear it down to find the nastiest scratching inside the dust cover to bare steel, from what I then figure out to be caused by a guide rod that was never deburred, I assume happened on final assembly. I can't imagine they would knowingly send out a gun with such obvious damage. Also has very uniform rough milling marks inside the ejection port clearly from trashed tooling, and on the only internal part of the pistol you can actually SEE when it's assembled.. Nice. Then I start putting the gun back together... And the slide has serious vertical play, and more than acceptable horizontal play. The gun was typical DW tight when I sent it to them. Looking at the rails, very rough fitment was performed on this frame to fit the slide, with pretty rough wear at the rear corners. This gun had 50 rounds thru it when I sent it.

After being told that it is what it is, and that the wear is normal, the scratching normal, and attempting to bullcrap their way out of fixing it, Keith finally agrees to refund the gun. He also attempted to claim that DW makes looser guns because the customer base apparently doesn't know how to lube guns right, and they have too minimize warranty claims. My response to that was along the lines of, "I sent you a VERY tight gun, you sent me back a loose battle rattle gun". Keith also exclaimed that I could have spent 3k to 5k on a real custom gun with similar features instead of expecting this gun to be, you know, as advertised. Apparently that's acceptable business practice nowadays.

I have all the emails saved. Along with pics of the pistol in its original condition, and condition when I received it back.from warranty. I also have a video showing the very audible vertical and horizontal, colt like slide play. Completely unbelievable. I bought my first dan wesson, an original CBOB back in 2006 IIRC.. For a whopping $769 brand new, not a blem gun, at cabelas of the shelf.. Man how things change. I assume the market has these companies really hurting if DW is willing to do things like this to decade long customers. What a shame. I want sure if I would share this experience on forums, at least until it was finalized. But this thread pushed me over the edge.

I'll post again tomorrow with pics and such if anyone is interested. I will post the emails, whatever anyone is interested in seeing. Customers need to be warned of practices like this. I feel bad for recommending DW to do many people over the last 10 or 12 years. I always touted then as the very best production 1911 one could buy, and an extreme value for the money spent. Those days are done.

All this happened in the same time frame as this thread.
    I'm still waiting on the refund... They have the gun and the money at the moment.

Serious 1st post sir. :thumbsup:
    I am in the same war with Springfield right now. I will know if there has been any success this coming Tuesday when the gun is returned.
    More to come

samspartan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    I definitely would like to hear back from both of you on the dw. And churchmouse's springfield.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Your issue, & the ridiculous response from DW so far is very similar to the long and drawn out & extremely aggravating process I was forced to go through with Bob Serva of Fusion firearms.

Never had considered a DW after that because in my many many phone calls & emails with Serva ,and others who had had similar issues, I had learned that Serva was once the boss at DW and I did not want to make a chance on getting back into his business practices. Got interested after reading good things here and decided that DW was likely run differently now that Serva had moved forward.

For what it is worth.

Very much hope you end up getting what you paid for!!!

EmMiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2019
    US
    Serious 1st post sir.
    I am in the same war with Springfield right now. I will know if there has been any success this coming Tuesday when the gun is returned.
    More to come
    It is "miss" to you, sir mouse.

Of course I would not expect one to know that on a forum.. Haha!

You better be careful in these modern days of liberal gender craziness... Its tough out there..

And thank you mouse, I have read and appreciated many of your posts on this forum while lurking.

Top Bottom