• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was at the church and met with our Pastor this afternoon. He is very much on board with what we are currently doing and willing to look at ways we can improve safety. Spencer- you bring up an excellent point. Every church I have beWorahiptje Woship Center is always a large mostly open room. Really no quality cover and very little concealment. With everyone's back to the main entry. My concern would be how to add some cover options without creating a funnel point/ blind spot

Make sure your people are in the wings for a natural cross fire on the main entrance.[/QUOTE]

So are you saying ask people to sit in the back row or two and near the outter isles so that if they turn to face someone coming in the doors their positions would basically be triangulated to the person entering?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Make sure your people are in the wings for a natural cross fire on the main entrance.

So are you saying ask people to sit in the back row or two and near the outter isles so that if they turn to face someone coming in the doors their positions would basically be triangulated to the person entering?[/QUOTE]

Yes and they would have a clear line of fire with lower risk to the folks in attendance.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So are you saying ask people to sit in the back row or two and near the outter isles so that if they turn to face someone coming in the doors their positions would basically be triangulated to the person entering?

Yes and they would have a clear line of fire with lower risk to the folks in attendance.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Our church is a rural church, about 400 attend every Sunday. We are on the edge of the county line, and by experience we know that law enforcement response is probably 20 minutes away.

Our team came about a number of years ago when a couple in our church had a messy divorce. The father was unstable, linebacker big and mean. One of the younger kids had (understandably) severe behavioral problems/outbursts often during church/kids church. The leadership team determined that we needed to address the possible security issues (non-custodial parent trying to take the children) and support the teachers who interacted with the affected children. We established a group of a dozen men (all elders and deacons) to rotate on "hall monitor" duty to make sure doors were secured, teachers had the resources they needed and to intervene when/if their were behavioral problems with the children.

My father-in-law and I began to see areas where the safety of the congregation could be improved - he has a military background, I have an emergency services background. The senior minister and about half a dozen of the "hall monitor" group formed our church's safety & security ministry. Over the last five years, have addressed items such as installing reflective numbers on the interior & exterior of all exterior doors, installed 2 AEDs in the building, installed 2 first aid jump kits, inventoried and kept up to date safety equipment/first aid kits in church vehicles, established emergency response teams to assist with shelter/evacuation in the event of weather/fire events, completed walk-throughs with the two volunteer fire departments and county sheriff, etc. We have trained our team with the State Police in active shooter scenarios, and are working on establishing a better procedures for keeping an eye on things during services.

I agree with many of the previous posts that health & weather should probably be where your greatest initial focus is. Since our team has been in place, we have had 2 medical emergencies during the middle of service and at least one in the parking lot after service. Team training should include the minister(s), worship leader(s) and A/V team. If severe weather is a possibility, the safety & security team meets with the ministry team to remind them how we will notify the team in case we need to begin moving people to shelter areas.

Our team is watching the Extended Sheepdog Training Series DVD's from Sheepdog Seminars. For 80 bucks, it is hard to beat the 12-14 hours of training that is

If you want any specifics on what we have done, just ask & I'd be happy to share. Feel free to PM me, if you'd prefer.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I was at the church and met with our Pastor this afternoon. He is very much on board with what we are currently doing and willing to look at ways we can improve safety. Spencer- you bring up an excellent point. Every church I have beWorahiptje Woship Center is always a large mostly open room. Really no quality cover and very little concealment. With everyone's back to the main entry. My concern would be how to add some cover options without creating a funnel point/ blind spot

Make sure your people are in the wings for a natural cross fire on the main entrance.[/QUOTE]

One of the things that I have learned from studying active shooters, they very rarely start internally - that is, they do not generally start with a person sitting in the service then standing up & shooting; they almost always start in the parking lot. Our team includes a person who walks the parking lot rows a couple times during service and covers the only unlocked entrance. If we can stop a disruption before it gets to the congregation, everyone is happier!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Our church is a rural church, about 400 attend every Sunday. We are on the edge of the county line, and by experience we know that law enforcement response is probably 20 minutes away.

Our team came about a number of years ago when a couple in our church had a messy divorce. The father was unstable, linebacker big and mean. One of the younger kids had (understandably) severe behavioral problems/outbursts often during church/kids church. The leadership team determined that we needed to address the possible security issues (non-custodial parent trying to take the children) and support the teachers who interacted with the affected children. We established a group of a dozen men (all elders and deacons) to rotate on "hall monitor" duty to make sure doors were secured, teachers had the resources they needed and to intervene when/if their were behavioral problems with the children.

My father-in-law and I began to see areas where the safety of the congregation could be improved - he has a military background, I have an emergency services background. The senior minister and about half a dozen of the "hall monitor" group formed our church's safety & security ministry. Over the last five years, have addressed items such as installing reflective numbers on the interior & exterior of all exterior doors, installed 2 AEDs in the building, installed 2 first aid jump kits, inventoried and kept up to date safety equipment/first aid kits in church vehicles, established emergency response teams to assist with shelter/evacuation in the event of weather/fire events, completed walk-throughs with the two volunteer fire departments and county sheriff, etc. We have trained our team with the State Police in active shooter scenarios, and are working on establishing a better procedures for keeping an eye on things during services.

I agree with many of the previous posts that health & weather should probably be where your greatest initial focus is. Since our team has been in place, we have had 2 medical emergencies during the middle of service and at least one in the parking lot after service. Team training should include the minister(s), worship leader(s) and A/V team. If severe weather is a possibility, the safety & security team meets with the ministry team to remind them how we will notify the team in case we need to begin moving people to shelter areas.

Our team is watching the Extended Sheepdog Training Series DVD's from Sheepdog Seminars. For 80 bucks, it is hard to beat the 12-14 hours of training that is

If you want any specifics on what we have done, just ask & I'd be happy to share. Feel free to PM me, if you'd prefer.

Very insightful and encouraging that we are on a similar path. I will have to go to the Sheepdog link you posted and check them out.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Make sure your people are in the wings for a natural cross fire on the main entrance.

One of the things that I have learned from studying active shooters, they very rarely start internally - that is, they do not generally start with a person sitting in the service then standing up & shooting; they almost always start in the parking lot. Our team includes a person who walks the parking lot rows a couple times during service and covers the only unlocked entrance. If we can stop a disruption before it gets to the congregation, everyone is happier![/QUOTE]

I hadn't realized that the majority of active shooter scenarios started in the parking lot. We occasionally do a parking lot check. We are kind of unique in that we share a parking garage with a building next door. But I do agree if a potential threat can be stopped outside everyone will be happier.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    If I was a more ambitious person I would form a consulting group.
    The group would be specialized in Church security and training I have a feeling that a security evaluation and training program would be a big seller right about now.

Nah I prefer to be left alone!
    On the other hand I could help save life’s and make a butt load of $$$ ?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I grew up hearing jokes about Baptists always getting out of church earlier so they can be first in line for lunch. Lol. Although, we Free Methodists enjoy our dinners together too. We're a little different than the regular Methodists lol

This last week the Methodists beat us to Cracker Barrel, paid, and left before us. The sermon ran loooooooong.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If I was a more ambitious person I would form a consulting group.
    The group would be specialized in Church security and training I have a feeling that a security evaluation and training program would be a big seller right about now.

Nah I prefer to be left alone!
    On the other hand I could help save life’s and make a butt load of $$$ ?

Based on some of the prices I am seeing for some training, and some training materials (videos, books) I can see where someone could make some serious cabbage if they market themselves

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County

Our church has done something similar...although we haven't gone to the 'extreme' of having training or forming a formal team. When we had our consultant come in in Columbus(anyone in Columbus or the area looking to form a team or talk to someone...I can PM you his name). Anyway, when we had him come in, he pointed to things like fire code, procedures out of date(by 10 yrs), and other things we could do that we should look at prior to going any farther. We're about done with that, 2 yrs later.(its slow...volunteer stuff). We need to come up with a training plan for a Emergency Response team and do things like drills for tornados, fire, etc. Also, our consultant mentioned training for spotting behaviors in question. I agree, heading it off ahead of something going full stupid...or keeping an eye on problem people, is good.

A few years ago, we had a agitator come in and try to debate pastor during the sermon. One of the ushers handled it gracefully as pastor was getting pissed. Got the guy out. Evidently he was doing that at many churches and I guess has a restraining order now. He came back a couple times after that but never said anything. Also, he's been spotted just sitting in our parking lot(not lately). After the initial incident, my wife was in charge of VBS that started the next day. She was called that night and asked 'what you gonna do'. She got a family with law enforcement-ish background to stand guard and keep an eye ont hings and locked down the church. It was the end of the world and she was 'removed' from running VBS after that due to the complaints. She loses no sleep over it(and the church hasn't had a good leader of VBS since)...but as head of the security team, I know I have anti-gun and other resistance to that type of thing at the church.

One thing, looking at our church, that differs from many old churches, is that we installed side exit doors a few years ago. We have 4 exits from our sanctuary. Also have heavy Oak pews. Hopefully that would provide some cover.

Anyway, great thread. I suspect we'll be ramping up our 'armed aggressor' type mentality soon. We'll see where it heads. I am the only one I know that carries at church...we're a very old congregation. I know of at least 2-3 other people with concealed carry permits in the church that carry at times...just not sure if they carry at church or not. I may ask after this. I know both of them pretty well.

Top Bottom