buck.jpg

BTTW, it DID NOT buff out...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First of all, BRAVO on the Buck 110 below. The Buck 110 is a classic and outperforms many knives that cost 2-4 times as much, yet it's overlooked because it's not "tactical." Sometimes old school is good!

Now ... how the hell did you take that chunk out of the blade in the top photo? It almost looks like you touched it to some high voltage/current and it burned through!

Old:

oops.jpg

New:

buck.jpg

BTTW, it DID NOT buff out...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    First of all, BRAVO on the Buck 110 below. The Buck 110 is a classic and outperforms many knives that cost 2-4 times as much, yet it's overlooked because it's not "tactical." Sometimes old school is good!

Now ... how the hell did you take that chunk out of the blade in the top photo? It almost looks like you touched it to some high voltage/current and it burned through!

1. If you are sure the wire is not HOT, check again.
    2. If you do deem it necessary to send an explosion of sparks and energy across the living room, be sure to do it while your wife is watching.
    3. My pocket knives sometimes do not make it from one pair of pants to the next when I am in a rush, so I decided to bolt the knife to my belt which is always present.
    4. That buck was common among scout leaders when I was growing up and I remember it as a real knife instead of a pretty one.
    5. It has been one of my smartest purchases of the last few years.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ah-hah! So I was right! Electricity was the culprit! I hope you didn't get hurt when that happened.

My carry-and-use-around-the-house knife used to be a Buck 110 in which I had a BG-42 stainless blade installed by the Buck Custom Shop (they won't do it anymore because it cuts into their Custom 110 business). It was one of the best knives I ever owned. Unfortunately, I lost it while I was sleeping. I went to sleep with it in my pocket and it was gone the next day (and I did check inside and out of the recliner in which I was slipping!).

One of the many good things about a Buck 110 is that when you hold it, you know you're holding a knife. You can't tell by looking, but once you hold one, it fits your hand a lot better than most knives too. The only knife that feels better in the hand is the Buck 112 (the smaller version of the 110).

I miss my Buck 110 with BG-42. If I ever win a lottery, I'm going to get a new one (or thirty) from their custom shop! :D

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I carry one of these almost always while awake. Gerber Torch II Tanto G-10 Black - Serrated Edge. I picked it up at Dick's about a year or so ago. Before that it was a Swiss Army knife for about 20 years. The eight years I spent in the Navy I always had a Buck knife strapped to my hip.
    22-01586-open.jpg

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Do I carry a knife?
    What kinda hick would I be if I didn't carry at least a knife. What one depends on what I am doing. Deep carry is almost always a Spyderco Dalica4/ Emerson. Almost always have a folding box knife for utility/ work. Still have my classic Buck 110, always goes hunting/ hiking with me. Cold Steel Spike and an SRT. Both excellant fixed blades. CRKT ABC, holster is rough. A Becker Knife and Tool Tac-Tool, amazing both in how much abuse and what can be done with it. And the list can go on and on and on....

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute

i personally think that the buck 110 and 112 are quite tactical. i carried one, every day, every where while on active duty. the knife saw conus, all over the banana republics, korea, PI, and germany. tactical is as tactical does.
    i traded mine away in a fit of dumbassery and my regret knew no bounds. one of my best friends gifted me one recently. it is held in a place of honor.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have a bevy of spyderco's that I carry including almost all of the waved spyderco's a CPM d2 bladed millitary and a CPM S90V millitary, never leave home with out a swiss army farmer, and oocasionally carry a mictotech socom elite D2 tanto chisel ground.
    any one in the Fort Wayne area needing a knife go to grindstone cutlery,
    Grindstone Cutlery also call him if you need a good sheathe his works is top notch.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    I do, never without one. Right now, I'm carrying my USN SnG!:rockwoot:

I always love the "Why do you carry a knife?" question with the stupid look on their face.

As to why, just never know. I've been in many situations where it's been helpful having one. I've never been in a situation that would've been dire without a knife, but like I said before, you never know. :cool:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I just about always have my Leatherman Wave with me. It's not as "scary" to some people as a tactical folder or what have you might be, but I can get it's blade open just about as fast at need.

Plus it's got a bunch of tools that actually work (unlike the "Swiss Army Knives" I often had when I was younger).

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I usually carry 2-4 one spyderco(always) of various makes, an Emerson LaGriffe, Emerson CQC-7 or Commander(always 1 or the other), a Microtech (but not in IN), and sometimes an Assailant(although I've not figured out the need for a credit card knife...it's still cool)

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I always carry two, one smaller for cutting up my bananas in my Cheerios and cleaning my fingernails, the other a black, ultrasharp death dealing Benchmade Ninja knife.

Well, sometimes I clean my fingernails with that one too.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I always carry one. My work uniform involves a suit. Well it is supposed to. I forget the sport coat most of the time. But a big heavy pocket knife would not work well, just for comfort. This is on me always (work clothes or jeans): Amazon.com: Gerber 06050 Ultralight LST Folding Knife with Fine Blade: Home Improvement I bought 8 of them at $9. Great little knife and holds a quality edge for a long while. I swap them out until a few need sharpening, then do them all at once. Ever since I broke the tip of my Spyderco, I carry this in non-work clothes: Amazon.com: Leatherman 830302 c303 Folding Straight/Serrated-Edge Knife: Home Improvement

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If I am dressed I have a knife or two on me. Usually a Kershaw Scallion and a SAK. Occasionally a Buck 110,112,500 folder or a fixed blade of some type along with a Gerber multi-tool and a machete or axe in the truck. I like edged instruments.:D

Top Bottom