Do you carry an extra magazine (or speedloader for revolver)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry an extra magazine or rounds with you?

• Total voters

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    2 spares for the g23, unless I have a BUG, then just 1 15rd spare and 1-2 spares for the BUG (Kahr CM9).

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    I do not carry an extra magazine with me. I have a Walther PPQ M2 that's 15+1... If I need more than 16 I'm in REAL trouble. Just my opinion.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Voted. Also listing the 4 related previous polls on this subject (that I'm aware of) below, and John Farnam's article on "Enough Ammunition."

Not being snarky, just thought people might find all the polls interesting collectively.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...90899-do-you-carry-extra-mag-hi-cap-no-9.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ense/121497-carrying-spare-magazine-s-10.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hats-your-minimum-mag-count-carry-weapon.html
    POLL: # of magazines -vs- years you've been carrying - View Poll Results

John Farnam - Enough Ammunition

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    10 is easier to count than 13 under stress. When I need to carry my G27 for deep cover, I carry 9+1. So whether I am carrying my 23 or 27, I always have the same round count so for muscle memory its all the same. I guess I could stuff a couple more in the 23 as a buffer since the muscle memory thing is to be able to be ready for an instinctive mag drop on the last round... which. I. dont. carry. a. second. mag... Excuse me while I go feed my G23 a couple extra rounds. :):

LOL

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just curious what the general percentage is of folks who carry an extra magazine or a speedloader for their revolver. I'm sure those of you who carry as part of your profession likely do, but this is more for the regular ol' Joe Schmoe.

So, do you carry an extra magazine (or more) with you when you carry? Why or why not?

Sounds like a good poll question to me. Personally I carry two spare mags for my G19 which makes 46 rounds total including the one in the pipe. The dual mag holder balances the weight side-to-side on my belt also.

Many people think one mag is enough based on round count alone... What about a magazine-related malfunction? This can and does happen. I'd rather be able to drop that mag and stuff another one in when SHTF.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Generally 2 spares for my .45. Sometimes three for my 9mm. They can help get me to my 30 for my AK. Or my 50 clips (!) for my Mauser. Or my...oh never mind. Yes.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I carry an extra mag for any semi auto I carry. If 2 guns that use the same mag, I'll carry one extra mag, if they use different mags, 1 extra for each. Speed Strips for any revolver, too. I've never heard anyone say, "Boy, I sure wish I didn't have all this ammo!" after being involved in a shooting.
    Just out of curiosity, how many times have you heard "If I had just had one extra mag, I would have won that gunfight." Or let's take it a step further - how many people, other than cops, thugs or drug dealers, do you know that have even had to DRAW their SD weapon, much less fire it? Much less empty a mag?

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    always carry extra ammo, for semi auto if mag in gun screws up you have extra to do tact reload, and a rev you have 6,7,8 rds a reload might come in handy

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    Just out of curiosity, how many times have you heard "If I had just had one extra mag, I would have won that gunfight." Or let's take it a step further - how many people, other than cops, thugs or drug dealers, do you know that have even had to DRAW their SD weapon, much less fire it? Much less empty a mag?

You nailed what I was trying to say a page or so back. If I ever need more than 16 (what my PPQ M2 9mm holds) I'm in big trouble. Plus, the odds WILL NOT be in your favor when you have to explain to the jury why you had to fire 10+ shots (and had another 10++ queued up) in a SD case. (There are exceptions for extreme circumstances I'd say)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not sure why but I feel the need to comment on these last three.

Actually the use of guns for self defense does happen. There is also plenty of violent crime to defend against. Police and thugs use their guns because they have guns. INGO is not a representative cross section of the public in respect to percentage of people carrying. Actually a fairly small percentage carry regularly. Food for thought 50% of FBI involved shootings (plain clothes) happen when the agent is off duty or is not related to a current case.

always carry extra ammo, for semi auto if mag in gun screws up you have extra to do tact reload, and a rev you have 6,7,8 rds a reload might come in handy

Terminology police. Carry an extra mag yes. Tactical reload No. If the gun fails it could be bad ammo, out of ammo, or a bad mag. Regardless you do not need to keep the mag that is in the gun, it isn't good anyway. Rip it out and let it hit the ground. Then clear the gun and emergency reload. (The snafu to this is if your spare mag fell out and you lost your spare, maybe that second mag or BUG isn't so silly?) I am not aware of a non military/police interaction that a person needed the rounds they dropped later in the confrontation.

You nailed what I was trying to say a page or so back. If I ever need more than 16 (what my PPQ M2 9mm holds) I'm in big trouble. Plus, the odds WILL NOT be in your favor when you have to explain to the jury why you had to fire 10+ shots (and had another 10++ queued up) in a SD case. (There are exceptions for extreme circumstances I'd say)

Nope a good lawyer can get you around this with an explaination. You might get in trouble when you fire 10 times, reload and shoot them 10more times. Topping off the heater is a commonly taught technique. Oh and reloading basically doesn't happen during the fight (again not talking leo or military). Probably wise to be able to finish the fight with what is in the gun when you start. Considering multiple assailants are becoming more common I would say more bullets the better.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    Not sure why but I feel the need to comment on these last three.

Actually the use of guns for self defense does happen. There is also plenty of violent crime to defend against. Police and thugs use their guns because they have guns. INGO is not a representative cross section of the public in respect to percentage of people carrying. Actually a fairly small percentage carry regularly. Food for thought 50% of FBI involved shootings (plain clothes) happen when the agent is off duty or is not related to a current case.

Terminology police. Carry an extra mag yes. Tactical reload No. If the gun fails it could be bad ammo, out of ammo, or a bad mag. Regardless you do not need to keep the mag that is in the gun, it isn't good anyway. Rip it out and let it hit the ground. Then clear the gun and emergency reload. (The snafu to this is if your spare mag fell out and you lost your spare, maybe that second mag or BUG isn't so silly?) I am not aware of a non military/police interaction that a person needed the rounds they dropped later in the confrontation.

Nope a good lawyer can get you around this with an explaination. You might get in trouble when you fire 10 times, reload and shoot them 10more times. Topping off the heater is a commonly taught technique. Oh and reloading basically doesn't happen during the fight (again not talking leo or military). Probably wise to be able to finish the fight with what is in the gun when you start. Considering multiple assailants are becoming more common I would say more bullets the better.

I agree that a lawyer could get you around it with an explanation but the odds seem more unlikely if you are carrying more rounds. I could be wrong, I've never been and hope to never be in a situation like this. The reason I say the odds are unfavorable is because the prosecutor may try twisting your motives around, you know how they can do that.. Unless you have a VERY good lawyer, it's probably going to be a bad experience for you. I'd rather save myself the time/PITA in court if I had to appear.

I don't have statistics but I would venture to say at least 80% of SD cases that no more than 10 rounds are fired by the person practicing SD, so the 16 that my gun holds should be plenty. I don't want the prosecutor twisting things around acting like I'm a gun toting fool who carries ENTIRELY TOO MUCH AMMO for a regular SD encounter. (As stated before, extreme circumstances are exceptions) I'm not disagreeing with any of you who do carry extra mags, but I just don't feel the need to myself. It's all a matter of opinion I suppose.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you go to trial the prosecutor is going to twist everything around. He is going to look at your facebook, INGO, call your second grade teacher and even dig up your dead dog. Why? Because that is his job. Safest bet is to not carry a gun at all.

Yes 16 rounds is probably enough. Heck I am switching to a 1911 with one spare, that is only 15 rounds between both mags. But I still have that spare in case of a malfunction, or I accidently hit the mag release, or my super premium defense ammo hangs up, or I forget to load the gun,..............

(COMMENT BEFORE CEDARTOP DECIDES TO CHIME IN: I only need 8 rounds in my gun because I am that damn good! :laugh:)

Top Bottom