• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As long as I've been in the AR game, Bushmaster has never been in the top tier of rifles. But hey, parts is parts, they're all made in the same place, just as good as...the first one to ZERO wins the interwebz!
    You must be pretty young then. Here is even an article that references the official choices back in the day were ABC (paragraph 2)

AR-15 Rifle Choices - Part 6

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I run MOSTLY COLT AR15s.
    I have a lot of BCM parts mixed in with them. Mostly cosmetic.
    I haven't had a problem with any of my Colt rifles and run the hell out of them.
    I also have a NIB Noveske I've never taken out of the box so I can't speak of their quality.
    I have an Armalite AR10-4 I've run the hell of as well but since ammo went through the roof for them it got stripped, cleaned, and stored in the safe. It's been flawless as well after thousands of rounds.
    IF it's mechanical you can have issues.
    BCM makes quality products I have no issue using.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You must be pretty young then. Here is even an article that references the official choices back in the day were ABC (paragraph 2)

AR-15 Rifle Choices - Part 6
    That article was from 2013, and while it's true Bushy has been around for a minute, it was never considered a tier one rifle by anyone but gun rag writers. Pretty young is subjective to the age of the person stating it, I'm in my mid 40's.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've not seen any indication that Colt quality has slipped since I bought mine long ago. You can't see that a part has been mpi or is made from a certain grade of steel (easily). They've never worried about little visual imperfections. If you've seen any pictures of their factory you'd have seen piles of parts laying together in bins getting scuffed and dinged.

Most people would take a Noveske chainsaw in a heartbeat because Noveske marketing made a blem part appear to be cool. It's a blem but it's still filled with Noveske goodness.

My point is you can't easily see some of the quality that does or doesn't go into an AR. You can see things like BCM handguard attachment system and think, "that's some quality engineering right there". Beware of the knock offs made of Chinesium!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That article was from 2013, and while it's true Bushy has been around for a minute, it was never considered a tier one rifle by anyone but gun rag writers. Pretty young is subjective to the age of the person stating it, I'm in my mid 40's.
    Bushmaster Hater man. I don't know if we can be friends now :):
    my first AR was a limited edition bushmaster. It was during "the ban". So it wasn't anything special but I thought it was hot ****. Lol

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I run MOSTLY COLT AR15s.
    I have a lot of BCM parts mixed in with them. Mostly cosmetic.
    I haven't had a problem with any of my Colt rifles and run the hell out of them.
    I also have a NIB Noveske I've never taken out of the box so I can't speak of their quality.
    I have an Armalite AR10-4 I've run the hell of as well but since ammo went through the roof for them it got stripped, cleaned, and stored in the safe. It's been flawless as well after thousands of rounds.
    IF it's mechanical you can have issues.
    BCM makes quality products I have no issue using.

Noveske has been going downhill bad since Johns death. I have known several people within the last year who have bought out of spec noveske lowers. I'm sure you could find more cases of it online. I wouldn't buy a noveske now period. Not even a lower

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    i was gonna say I'm not that old and bushmaster used to have a great rep up there with colt.
    Yep, before all of these boutique makers came around, some people argued they were better than Colts. But then there was a collapse in people's opinion. IIRC they were sold or something.
    The ABC's of AR ownership seems like was popular to quote back in the 90's but was still quoted into the 2000's on some forums.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What process does BCM do to an upper or lower that they buy from Cerro Forge or BAFE? Do they buy 80%-ers and finish them? Do they buy complete - but not anodized / coated parts?

Note, I'm just talking uppers and lowers here.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Bushy used to have a good rep, and made a solid rifle. I still own a Bushy made in 2006, I have never had an issue with it. The only thing that threw me was when I put a Magpul CTR on it, the buffer tube is commercial and not mil-spec.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This thread is pretty much shaping up to be like all the other similar threads that have been hashed and rehashed into oblivion. Nice work fellas! My stuff is "go to war" cool. Your stuff is "rat**** junk"

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    *loves the warmth of a good Internet fire*

Tim/MAC has stated his favorite rifle in 5.56mm is the Tavor. Outside that, he prefers the AK-74.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This thread is pretty much shaping up to be like all the other similar threads that have been hashed and rehashed into oblivion. Nice work fellas! My stuff is "go to war" cool. Your stuff is "rat**** junk"
    nope this is intended to keep new gun or inexperienced gun people from buying junk.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    *loves the warmth of a good Internet fire*

Tim/MAC has stated his favorite rifle in 5.56mm is the Tavor. Outside that, he prefers the AK-74.
    AK74, never had any luck with them. Had one build by Troy sellers that didn't run good and then had one from rifle dynamics I sold. Not my cup of tea. The favor, never tried one.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Most of my ARs fall into the junk category, yet I've taken classes with them and run thousands of rounds without problems (other than those between my ears.) If you plan to "go to war" with your AR, buy high end. For many entry level shooters, 1K rounds is 5 years worth of shooting, so a budget (Bushmaster, PSA, S&W) will probably be just fine for their recreational needs.

While buying higher end is great, if someone is on a budget and wants to shoot, I won't be the one to tell them "Too bad, $700 won't cut it."

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    I've never owned an AR-15 of any brand . I'd rather own a dependable AR than a troublesome AR. I see a lot of info on various brands (not just on INGO).
    It's like the more I read the more confusing it can become. Just sayin'....
    I must add , I'm not in the market for an AR at this time anyhows...

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Most of my ARs fall into the junk category, yet I've taken classes with them and run thousands of rounds without problems (other than those between my ears.) If you plan to "go to war" with your AR, buy high end. For many entry level shooters, 1K rounds is 5 years worth of shooting, so a budget (Bushmaster, PSA, S&W) will probably be just fine for their recreational needs.

While buying higher end is great, if someone is on a budget and wants to shoot, I won't be the one to tell them "Too bad, $700 won't cut it."

I agree with that, although I still try to steer people away from cheap ARs toward something good.

Top Bottom