• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm alive!!! No blood, no irritation, and pretty damn smooth with the Dorco blade that came with the razor (Feathers and sample pack yet to arrive). I'll definitely be ordering an adjustable Gillette in the near future!

2nd shave reminded me what a noob I am. Feather blades are WAY less forgiving of my inexperience.

409159410.jpg

409159411.jpg

Collin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    This company has one of the best commercials I've ever watched. The question for me is, what do I spend for quality razors before signing up? Probably a wash, but I do hate running out and having to rush to the store or shave with dull blades...

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    After reading this thread I ordered a shaver and some blades from Dorco. Very happy! The Gillette Fusions I was using cost about $3.58 each before tax. Dorco is $1.37. I figure I'll save about $60 a year now.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Interesting history behind Gillette. They came up with the idea of proprietary blades so you would have to by from them. Then Schick got in on the action. Why do you think they give the razor away free. Usually by mail. Because they know you have to buy their blades which are quite expensive. That is where they make their money.

As far as shaving in the shower by feel, I don't believe it would be a problem with a safety razor. Of course it would take a little more time but not much. Most guys just want to lather up and hack away when shaving. If I did that there are too many places that are spotty without going over the same area multiple times unless using a SR.

Don't drop it. I broke my first DE razor shaving in the shower like I did with a Gillette. I no longer shave in the shower.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    No. I've never felt the need to move to a slant razor considering the results that I get with a normal safety razor and four passes.
    I'd put my 2011 R41 against even the best straight for shave closeness. It is generally considered the most aggressive DE ever made. While it does have a little learning curve, it far more useful than a straight, and less upkeep.

In 2013 they made the r41 a little less aggressive, but it's still the top dog, IMO.

the vintage gilettes are great, but I prefer the modern jagger/ muhle models.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't have a clue who makes the best new safety razor, but it's hard to beat a vintage Gillette off of Ebay. :twocents:

You can get a like new razor that is 60 years old and in perfect condition for under $30.

I am not intending to argue but I do agree with you if you are a collector, ebay is the way to go. If you are just planning on buying one quality safety razor to use, I would go to Amazon. You can get a NEW Merkur or Edwin Jagger for 30-40 dollar range.

The problem with the vintage razors is you do not know who used them before you. You would have to be confident in their cleaning and sterilization process or be willing to do it yourself.

I use a Merkur safety razor, Astra blades, Edwin Jagger brush, CO Bigelow shave cream... lots of hot water and shave twice with the grain. I could shave against the grain, across the grain, etc... but I get less irritation and still a much better shave than any multi blade razor ever gave me.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I am not intending to argue but I do agree with you if you are a collector, ebay is the way to go. If you are just planning on buying one quality safety razor to use, I would go to Amazon. You can get a NEW Merkur or Edwin Jagger for 30-40 dollar range.

The problem with the vintage razors is you do not know who used them before you. You would have to be confident in their cleaning and sterilization process or be willing to do it yourself.

I use a Merkur safety razor, Astra blades, Edwin Jagger brush, CO Bigelow shave cream... lots of hot water and shave twice with the grain. I could shave against the grain, across the grain, etc... but I get less irritation and still a much better shave than any multi blade razor ever gave me. Nailed it

Probably the best prices I've seen for safety razors are here. Safety Razors Based in U.K. but shipping was very fast for me. I've placed 2 separate orders from them and both were here in about 10 days without excessive shipping charges. I odered the Muhle R89 a few years ago then shortly after I got the R41. They have went up a bit since I ordered mine but still very reasonable.

The Astra blade is my favorite as well. Cuts very well with no pulling and lasts a long time. If you check the label on the side of the box it's made in the same place as the Gillette 7 O' Clocks. The Derby blades pulled quite a bit. The Feathers are very sharp and unforgiving, especially in the R41.

I saw someone up thread mention they changed cartridges and are saving about $60 a year. You should really try the Astras. Amazon.com: 100 Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades: Beauty I get about 5 shaves per blade. 100 blades cost $11. For that $60 you saved with the cartridge change I could shave everyday for almost 7 years. If anyone here wants to try out the Astras let me know. I bought several boxes of them once I settled on that brand.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Probably the best prices I've seen for safety razors are here. Safety Razors Based in U.K. but shipping was very fast for me. I've placed 2 separate orders from them and both were here in about 10 days without excessive shipping charges. I odered the Muhle R89 a few years ago then shortly after I got the R41. They have went up a bit since I ordered mine but still very reasonable.

The Astra blade is my favorite as well. Cuts very well with no pulling and lasts a long time. If you check the label on the side of the box it's made in the same place as the Gillette 7 O' Clocks. The Derby blades pulled quite a bit. The Feathers are very sharp and unforgiving, especially in the R41.

I saw someone up thread mention they changed cartridges and are saving about $60 a year. You should really try the Astras. Amazon.com: 100 Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades: Beauty I get about 5 shaves per blade. 100 blades cost $11. For that $60 you saved with the cartridge change I could shave everyday for almost 7 years. If anyone here wants to try out the Astras let me know. I bought several boxes of them once I settled on that brand.

I'm new to the wet-shaving game and am trying to settle on a blade. I need to order another "sample pack". I don't think I'm getting the best feel for the different blades I've tried since I currently only have a super cheap aluminum Weishi. I think it's WAY too light for the "let the weight of the razor do the cutting" philosophy. I end up having to use more pressure than I should, which was a little brutal with my first shave with a Feather. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shaves with that blade were amazing though! (lol, probably should have honed my technique a bit instead of jumpinf in with a Feather on my second DE shave)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'm new to the wet-shaving game and am trying to settle on a blade. I need to order another "sample pack". I don't think I'm getting the best feel for the different blades I've tried since I currently only have a super cheap aluminum Weishi. I think it's WAY too light for the "let the weight of the razor do the cutting" philosophy. I end up having to use more pressure than I should, which was a little brutal with my first shave with a Feather. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shaves with that blade were amazing though! (lol, probably should have honed my technique a bit instead of jumpinf in with a Feather on my second DE shave)

I started with one of those light weight DE razors as well. It really does make a difference to use a heavier razor. Everyone says to let the weight of the razor do the work, I found out that I still like a little pressure on it but nothing like what is needed for a cartridge. Have you been to "The Shave Den"? TheShaveDen It's got excellent information and great people in the forum. Yeah, at first I laughed when I read about a shaving forum but truth be told I learned alot about DE blades and the needed technique to not shred myself. There are lots of details on the different blades and quite a few members that are willing to trade new types of blades for people to try out.

I've used the feathers several times and still have a few left. I can get a cleaner shave with them with fewer passes but it takes me longer to shave with them than the Astras. I can do 3 or 4 passes if necessary with the Astras in the time it takes me to do 2 with the Feathers. The level of sharpness and the profile of the R41 razor takes so much extra time I don't find it worth it to use them. That R41 is as close to a straight razor as you can get and still be in the safety razor platform. It's very aggressive.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Congrats on the Super Speed. Here is a picture of my Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed. It was made in January of 1954. Also in the picture is my 1940's Super Speed.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I purchased a Dorco three blade razer, it has immediately replaced my Mach 3. The razor is comfortable in the hand and the blades are smooth and do an excellent job. I have no complaints.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Three weeks in and I'm definitely hooked. Upgraded my brush today. Bought another cheapo $5 boar brush just for the handle and replaced the knot with a 24mm super silvertip.

409323225.jpg

Top Bottom