• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Guess I should have put it in "Carry issues, property defense, and potentially self defense at the time, but thankfully I didnt need it"... but I didnt anticipate the butthurt :dunno:

Well then, I guess there IS one thing you can take from this discussion where you solicited the opinions of others, some of whom disagree with your choices: Buy some Preparation H up front to help you deal with it.

For the record, I never said anything about your choices -- go ahead, search your thread, nope, nada. Me, I'm only amused by the change in tone and the question over whether this was "carry issues and self defense" or just a couple of drunk college kids that you see every day and there was never any danger. Don't care which it was, but it's confusing to sell it both ways, at least to a simple hayseed like me.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Well then, I guess there IS one thing you can take from this discussion where you solicited the opinions of others, some of whom disagree with your choices: Buy some Preparation H up front to help you deal with it.

For the record, I never said anything about your choices -- go ahead, search your thread, nope, nada. Me, I'm only amused by the change in tone and the question over whether this was "carry issues and self defense" or just a couple of drunk college kids that you see every day and there was never any danger. Don't care which it was, but it's confusing to sell it both ways, at least to a simple hayseed like me.

Hey man I'm just sayin, not trying to be a d*** :dunno: I appreciate the help/tips others who disagree with me gave, what I wasnt asking for was a "you're an idiot and heres why"... more like "I like/dont like that you did... but I would have... have a good day". See the difference... I have learned several things prior to this incident that I never would have done previously.

I dont think I "sold" anything, if it sounds that way it was not my intention. However, to assume a "tone" without face to face conversation (body language, tone of voice, etc.) on a text only forum is rather... presumptuous.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Hey man I'm just sayin, not trying to be a d*** :dunno: I appreciate the help/tips others who disagree with me gave, what I wasnt asking for was a "you're an idiot and heres why"... more like "I like/dont like that you did... but I would have... have a good day". See the difference... I have learned several things prior to this incident that I never would have done previously.

I dont think I "sold" anything, if it sounds that way it was not my intention. However, to assume a "tone" without face to face conversation (body language, tone of voice, etc.) on a text only forum is rather... presumptuous.

I agree that some of the opinions are not expressed as politely as one might like, but, like the perceptions of tone, it's inevitable. Thick skin is a very good trait, in general... and even more so on the internet dealing with complete strangers who may be sitting in the middle school cafeteria on their cell phone or waiting for their mother to bring the meat loaf to them in the basement. When you post a topic like this on the interwebs, you're going to get exactly what you asked for, and a lot of things you didn't.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I agree that some of the opinions are not expressed as politely as one might like, but, like the perceptions of tone, it's inevitable. Thick skin is a very good trait, in general... and even more so on the internet dealing with complete strangers who may be sitting in the middle school cafeteria on their cell phone or waiting for their mother to bring the meat loaf to them in the basement. When you post a topic like this on the interwebs, you're going to get exactly what you asked for, and a lot of things you didn't.

Amen brother.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Good explanation!

Very good explanation. Now if only there was a way to identify these guys so we can tell their mothers to make them play nice. :):

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This thread is a prime example of why I keep my private life..........private. :rolleyes:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    How boring is that?

This thread is a prime example of why I keep my private life..........private. :rolleyes:

Yeah but how boring is that? If we can't laugh at ourselves there are plenty of INGO members willing to help us all out. Ed got a few butt chewings but he's probably had a little bit of fun with the conversation too. This was fun, right Ed?

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Please excuse my ridiculously awesome paint skills...

Green=me
    Red=guy beating car
    X's= closest is my car, the next one was the car he was beating
    blue=path of d-bag
    pink= path of his friend
    teal= their direction of retreat.

11hds34.jpg

WINNING!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I was trying to get my cellphone out of the front seat, I was too drunk to drive and my friends took my keys. My best bud told me to GTFO and so I scrammed, especially with some creeper coming up.

Thankfully you came to your senses before I puked on your purdy glock.

Yes. This is sarcasm. No, my purple is not broken.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Yep, you are right, there are a bunch of what if's in a scenario like this. But, I will not stand by and wait 5,10,15 minutes for the police to show up when some yahoo is beating the hell out of my neighbors car.

I will take my chances but like hell if i am going to just sit in my house and watch something like that happen. Maybe I am crazy.

No, you aren't crazy. Some people have life experiences and have worked where innate self confidence in one's abilities to work and react under stress or adversity is an everyday experience.

Other's are still Sheepdogs but their size and bark are a little weak.

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    No, you aren't crazy. Some people have life experiences and have worked where innate self confidence in one's abilities to work and react under stress or adversity is an everyday experience.

Other's are still Sheepdogs but their size and bark are a little weak.

and then there's people who try to mind their own business and not involve themselves in things that don't involve them, they are legit too you know......just because someone chooses not to get all confrontational doesn't mean they are the polar opposite sheeple......just sayin'

there's at least three types here

the "Confronter" who ends up in situations they had no business in in the first place, even if intentions are well, then there's the "Middle Man", who sees a crime not involving them but want's to see justice who calls the cops to handle it, and then there's the "Sheeple" who see it and turn the other way......

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    and then there's people who try to mind their own business and not involve themselves in things that don't involve them, they are legit too you know......just because someone chooses not to get all confrontational doesn't mean they are the polar opposite sheeple......just sayin'

the "Confronter" who ends up in situations they had no business in in the first place, even if intentions are well, then there's the "Middle Man", who sees a crime not involving them but want's to see justice who calls the cops to handle it, and then there's the "Sheeple" who see it and turn the other way......

Well, thanks for basically trying to reword what I said except for the inclusion of the word Sheeple which was not mentioned in my post. Do you understand the task of the Sheepdog? His inbred desire to long for the fight to protect the sheep? His constant vigilance and awareness? Your "Three basic types" makes no room for nor even recognizes the true Sheepdog's existence, does he scare you too?? Does he carry enough of the wolfs characteristics that you are wary of his intentions, abilities and resolve?

I find a distinct polarization on this board. The "duck and cover" with their weapon shaking in one hand and their cellphone in the other.

Then, and much fewer in number, are those that are proactive with a firm grip on their weapon that with forethought will advance into the fray and expose themselves and luckily their appearance in most cases causes the wolf to retreat.

This constant bashing on this forum from the passive observer (not a bad label) of those that take an offensive stance in the face of adversity is rather old and tiring.

If, perchance, one doesn't possess the warrior mindset what personal reward does one receive when castigating those that do? :dunno:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Do you understand the task of the Sheepdog? His inbred desire to long for the fight to protect the sheep? His constant vigilance and awareness?
    Are you serious? The sheepdog does not long for any fight, he merely possesses the tools and skill to do what needs done should the fight come to him.
    Read LTC Grossman's words again:
    "Until the wolf shows up [to threaten the flock]". He (the sheepdog) is not out there hunting the wolf, his duty is to protect his own. Our duty is to protect our own, not to go looking for a fight. They have places for people who go looking for fights, they're called cemeteries.

If we were intended to go out and hunt the wolves, the vet in LTC Grossman's column would have called us Wolfhounds. But, he didn't. Sheepdog, one who protects the sheep, not one who hunts the wolves.
    I find a distinct polarization on this board. The "duck and cover" with their weapon shaking in one hand and their cellphone in the other.

Then, and much fewer in number, are those that are proactive with a firm grip on their weapon that with forethought will advance into the fray and expose themselves and luckily their appearance in most cases causes the wolf to retreat.
    This, to me, hints of vigilantism. In your words, one is either too scared to face danger "their weapon shaking in one hand and their cellphone in the other", or is out looking for badguys hoping to scare them off.

I think you're doing a pretty heft dis-service to themembers here who have a flock they must protect. If you have no flock(family), and are a lone sheepdog, then by all means do what you feel is warranted. Do NOT, however, imply that I am a coward because I choose to not fight on someone else's terms or turf, in a fight that is not my own.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

I agree 100% with Jamesg.:yesway:
    There are defiantly 3 types of people that can be described in this kind of situation.

- Useful
    - Useless
    - Dead

You can choose which type of person you would like to be here. You can even train and run different scenarios to perfect your reactions and hone your skills to match one of these 3 types of people you wish to be.

*NOTE - 2 of these types really don't require much training so they will be easier to perfect.
    Hey - You got to be good at something.:(

Top Bottom