Explosions at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England. Fatalities confirmed

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Prayers for the victims and their families.

So, my wife surprised me and the family with tickets to the race. Tonight, she was very concerned about the safety, thanks to this event. Knowing people that know about these things, I did my best to tell her it was safe and that we can't let the terrorists scare us out of doing things that we love, our traditions.

For as much as I love the race, though, I can't help by wonder myself....

I would like to say without hesitation that you will be perfectly fine. I can't promise it though, as no one can predict when or where something will happen. There are going to be hundreds of police officers and federal agents in an around the track during the race, including me. We will all do our best to keep everyone safe and prevent a similar incident from happening. I will be posted up at gate 9 on Georgetown Rd if you happen to be on that side of the track.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    In the UK papers this morning I saw reference to some kids killed/hurt as well. :( Just went in to the break room and BBC News lady reported that officially 'children and young people among the dead'. He walked in to the 'vestibule' or area outside the gates, but still sounded enclosed and detonated it just as people were streaming out(as said above)

As I am in the UK for work right now, I am getting updates on this as well as something happening in London this morning.

UPDATE 1: Authorities clear Victoria Coach Station in London, UK, after reports of a suspicious package the morning of May 23.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Prayers for the victims and their families.

So, my wife surprised me and the family with tickets to the race. Tonight, she was very concerned about the safety, thanks to this event. Knowing people that know about these things, I did my best to tell her it was safe and that we can't let the terrorists scare us out of doing things that we love, our traditions.

For as much as I love the race, though, I can't help by wonder myself....

That is what terrorists want. The risk is minuscule that you will be a victim of a terrorist yet it preoccupies our thoughts. F'em, I'm not changing a damn thing. Life is too short to become a hermit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is what terrorists want. The risk is minuscule that you will be a victim of a terrorist yet it preoccupies our thoughts. F'em, I'm not changing a damn thing. Life is too short to become a hermit.

The race is a "Prime" target. They know it.
    It would be the best place to set of a dirty device if they had one.
    Probably easy to get one in there. Vans/trucks/transports everywhere.
    Not trying to incite fear just that living so close to the place that is on our minds when these events are held.

I do agree with Frank/Denny. The fear factor alone is a win for those who would do such things.
    "But" we all have to agree this is not the world we expected growing up.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I work at home 3 days a week, but the 2 days I have to go downtown, I find myself being very suspicious of people walking around with backpacks or duffel type bags, especially if they get on my elevator. I find myself wary of walking along the sidewalk with cars racing by on Ohio Street, wondering if they are going to jump the curb and cause havoc. I'm letting worry creep into my brainpan about going to Carb Day this Friday. I hate thinking/feeling like this, because it means the terrorists are winning. But damn, it's hard not to. :xmad:

The terrorist won 15 years ago and continue to win.
    Creation of tsa, nsa cellphone hacking, etc.
    Where have you been?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The terrorist won 15 years ago and continue to win.
    Creation of tsa, nsa cellphone hacking, etc.
    Where have you been?

This is a true statement. This has been drilled into our minds and has changed the very way we live.
    At every level. Travel will never be the same. Security will never decrease but the opposite.
    Suspicions will be constant when around large crowds or in venues that are prime targets.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    At what point do the terrorists "win" and flip our switch from 'annoyed' to fully 'pissed-off'?

Because I'm inching ever closer to the position of "firebomb a Muslim holy site every time there's a confirmed attack."

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The race is a "Prime" target. They know it.
    It would be the best place to set of a dirty device if they had one.
    Probably easy to get one in there. Vans/trucks/transports everywhere.
    Not trying to incite fear just that living so close to the place that is on our minds when these events are held.

I do agree with Frank/Denny. The fear factor alone is a win for those who would do such things.
    "But" we all have to agree this is not the world we expected growing up.

Still a bigger risk driving to the event. Or letting the cumulative effect of the alcohol consumed during increase the odds of liver cancer or accidental death due to poor judgement because of said alcohol. Or lightning striking the event. Yes, big events are juicy targets for those intent on mayhem, but the odds are still extremely low. Low enough to not justify the huge expense our society has put into security theater (I am not talking about real security, the stuff that isn't so visible).

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Still a bigger risk driving to the event. Or letting the cumulative effect of the alcohol consumed during increase the odds of liver cancer or accidental death due to poor judgement because of said alcohol. Or lightning striking the event. Yes, big events are juicy targets for those intent on mayhem, but the odds are still extremely low. Low enough to not justify the huge expense our society has put into security theater (I am not talking about real security, the stuff that isn't so visible).

Do you carry a gun? Why? Odds are you'll never need it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I would like to say without hesitation that you will be perfectly fine. I can't promise it though, as no one can predict when or where something will happen. There are going to be hundreds of police officers and federal agents in an around the track during the race, including me. We will all do our best to keep everyone safe and prevent a similar incident from happening. I will be posted up at gate 9 on Georgetown Rd if you happen to be on that side of the track.

Cool. Haven't sorted out what gate we'll aim for.

I know someone whose job some years includes attending the race with a singularly good vantage point and high-power optic. ;) There are no guarantees.

Beyond that, the Indy 500 would be an awkward place to try a suicide bomb or unattended backpack. With all the tank tops and jeans shorts, someone with heavy clothing on will stand out. And that's just the dudes.

At what point do the terrorists "win" and flip our switch from 'annoyed' to fully 'pissed-off'?

Because I'm inching ever closer to the position of "firebomb a Muslim holy site every time there's a confirmed attack."

THAT is giving the islamofascists what they really want: a reason to keep doing what they're doing.

Top Bottom