Explosions at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England. Fatalities confirmed

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...Low enough to not justify the huge expense our society has put into security theater (I am not talking about real security, the stuff that isn't so visible).

This was a central point for the talking heads this morning on CBS. What was the security to enter the venue? They could not get it through their heads that the bombing occurred outside the "secure" area. One expert they were interviewing started to talk about the unsecure area and the reporter cut him off and drove the conversation back to security theater. Had a clip with some kid complaining he wasn't scanned or frisked when he entered.

I have always felt the weakest point for big events is the huge cue of people who have disarmed themselves and are waiting outside to go through the security funnel and get groped. Hadn't thought about the exit being equally dangerous. Everyone released at the same time, previously screened and disarmed. The security people in place were focused on entry and four plus hours later are tired and want to go home. I know guns and knives can't stop bombs but I still prefer to carry both.

As the UK goes on about the horror of the islamic terrorist last night I haven't heard much mention of the IRA and their Irish car bombs.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Apparently little girls going to concerts is enough of a provocation, T.Lex. If you're going to be the Great Satan no matter what you do, what's the point?

View attachment 55996

What better way to prove oneself to be a great satan than to act like a great satan?

The islamofascists are fighting as much a PR war as a real one. Firebombing neutral and even allied holy sites makes no sense.

As an expression of frustration, I absolutely get it. I think that was the spirit of your statement.

Unfortunately, it is all too common of a sentiment - particularly around here - that it is a legitimate strategy.

By the way, it was pointed out to me that the higher risk, based on the recent attacks at public sites, is when a concert is letting out at Bankers Life or Deer Creek.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Dresden, giving the Germans "what they wanted" one sortie at a time...

article-2276944-03644BD60000044D-755_634x444.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    C:\ISIS>del *.*

Problem solved.

/p if you want to evaluate each one before deletion.
    /f if you want to delete those that don't necessarily do ISIS-things, but are thinking about it.
    /s if you want to take out their kids, too.
    /q if you want to do it without anyone noticing immediately.

Or "rm" for our Linux friends.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I work at home 3 days a week, but the 2 days I have to go downtown, I find myself being very suspicious of people walking around with backpacks or duffel type bags, especially if they get on my elevator. I find myself wary of walking along the sidewalk with cars racing by on Ohio Street, wondering if they are going to jump the curb and cause havoc. I'm letting worry creep into my brainpan about going to Carb Day this Friday. I hate thinking/feeling like this, because it means the terrorists are winning. But damn, it's hard not to. :xmad:

I think that being aware of one's surroundings is good. Being vigilant and not having our full attention on our phones. We want to be aware and perhaps even thinking about what we would do if something were to happen, but we don't want to live in fear and have it dictate our lives. More than likely we will not ever be in a situation where some terror activity will happen, but we should be aware of what's going on around us.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    This was a central point for the talking heads this morning on CBS. What was the security to enter the venue? They could not get it through their heads that the bombing occurred outside the "secure" area. One expert they were interviewing started to talk about the unsecure area and the reporter cut him off and drove the conversation back to security theater. Had a clip with some kid complaining he wasn't scanned or frisked when he entered.

I have always felt the weakest point for big events is the huge cue of people who have disarmed themselves and are waiting outside to go through the security funnel and get groped. Hadn't thought about the exit being equally dangerous. Everyone released at the same time, previously screened and disarmed. The security people in place were focused on entry and four plus hours later are tired and want to go home. I know guns and knives can't stop bombs but I still prefer to carry both.

As the UK goes on about the horror of the islamic terrorist last night I haven't heard much mention of the IRA and their Irish car bombs.
    The same MO as the Brussels Airport attack last year - devices placed outside the secure areas.

The last IRA activity in Britain of any real significance was prior to the Good Friday agreement in 1998. Many of those at that concern last night would be too young to remember those, if they were even alive yet.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    /p if you want to evaluate each one before deletion.
    /f if you want to delete those that don't necessarily do ISIS-things, but are thinking about it.
    /s if you want to take out their kids, too.
    /q if you want to do it without anyone noticing immediately.

Or "rm" for our Linux friends.

So much variety! As long as the del isn't forgotten any of the above will do! :):

Yeah, but we have all these problems with German terrorists now, right?

The cultures that tend toward RIF respect the 'strong horse.' Half measures look weak, and weakness is provocative.

One might also recall that we didn't have problems with terrorism for a century or so after Commodore Decatur introduced himself to the residents of the north coast of Africa.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    C:\ISIS>del *.*

Problem solved.

I accidentally did that to a root directory once.

Caused WAY more problems than what I was trying to solve.

The same MO as the Brussels Airport attack last year - devices placed outside the secure areas.

The last IRA activity in Britain of any real significance was prior to the Good Friday agreement in 1998. Many of those at that concern last night would be too young to remember those, if they were even alive yet.

I think the experience with the Troubles is the clearest template for how this plays out.

It doesn't end until both sides want it to.

And you can't really achieve that with force. It doesn't mean you just let it happen - the law enforcement side is absolutely vital. Figure out who the bad guys are and do your level best to stop them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I accidentally did that to a root directory once.

Caused WAY more problems than what I was trying to solve.

I think the experience with the Troubles is the clearest template for how this plays out.

It doesn't end until both sides want it to.

And you can't really achieve that with force. It doesn't mean you just let it happen - the law enforcement side is absolutely vital. Figure out who the bad guys are and do your level best to stop them.

Again, I refer you to Commodore Decatur and the satisfactory results of his efforts.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Again, I refer you to Commodore Decatur and the satisfactory results of his efforts.

So, I passed up your original suggestion about that.

Tell me what you think the problem was and what Decatur did about it that was so successful. My understanding of the actual history makes your suggestion somewhere between vague and misguided.

Top Bottom