• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    hospitals are starting to let covid positive asymptomatic staff work with COVID patients because they have too many staff in quarantine

This makes sense, lots of sense actually. If you have the rona but are asymptomatic and can work, why not let them work with the rona patients that aren't asymptomatic and require care? It honestly seems like a no-brainer to me.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This makes sense, lots of sense actually. If you have the rona but are asymptomatic and can work, why not let them work with the rona patients that aren't asymptomatic and require care? It honestly seems like a no-brainer to me.

how do you get to the symptomatic people? masks aren't 100% effective.

can you force an employee to work who has covid?

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    My brother passed away yesterday morning at Saint Anthony hospital in Crown Point. He was 64. He had COPD and lung cancer. He was dealing with the COPD staying active having a portable oxygen with him that he didn't always use. He was very recently diagnosed with cancer. He had only had one chemo treatment. He got a fever, was feeling bad and went to the hospital. He tested positive for covid. He passed away in ICU on a respirator about five days later.

Sorry for your loss.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    as easily as we're told this spreads I'm shocked at how many close household contacts never get sick.

almost like it's not as contagious as we were told

My son's GF had it. Symptoms, positive test, etc. They were instructed to quarantine/isolate for ~2 weeks and did so. He had no symptoms but decided to test the day after her result. He was negative. He never had symptoms. She was fairly hard hit, but not hospitalized. They stayed together, continued to sleep in the same bed, use the same facilities, eat the same meals. A couple of weeks after her symptoms ended and with that the quarantine/isolation, he donated blood at a Red Cross blood drive, partly to get the antibody test - results were negative. He's now in NYS to visit his son, followed CUomo's new rule with requires visitors to test negative 3 days before travel, quarantine for 3 days on arrival and then test again. Both test results within the last week were negative.

This anecdote does make me think that contagion is basically some sort of crap-shoot or Russian Roulette.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I lost my beard to COVID. Was forced to shave to fit for a respirator versus a standard duck bill. I've seen it be very mild, and also super invasive and require intubation. I am surprised we aren't seeing more influenza this year though...

I do not think they are counting it as everything seems to be covid. .

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I do not think they are counting it as everything seems to be covid. .
    You're the moderator not me. But I'm asking you nonetheless if this is really the appropriate thread for that assertion. It's not surprising influenza is down with large events cancelled. At times this year, it's also been hard to get the swabs that are used for testing because so many are needed for Covid. I don't know if that shortage has been overcome yet or not.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You're the moderator not me. But I'm asking you nonetheless if this is really the appropriate thread for that assertion. It's not surprising influenza is down with large events cancelled. At times this year, it's also been hard to get the swabs that are used for testing because so many are needed for Covid. I don't know if that shortage has been overcome yet or not.

Moderator or not, I think it’s a fair assessment. The question was asked, and a reasonable answer was given.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if hoosierdoc has some inside baseball info on how hospitals and other medical facilities are doing covid reporting?

Is the reporting that a covid case draws higher gov't money correct?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Mod or not I asked a solid question. It deserves a solid answer. Nothing more and nothing less. If you do not agree I am cool with that but why the knock. A question is merely that and yes is is appropriate.

I am not on board with all of this and have been vocal as to that fact. I have had it. I survived. Many I know friends and family have had positive tests with mixed issues to them as to severity. And no one else around them caught it as was the case here in my home. And we are close. So in all of this I have questions and doubts. From personal experiences and observations. In real life. 1 person we know did go to the hospital but she is obese diabetic and just not in good health which seems to fit the info we see as to who gets hurt the worst.
    The 1st acknowledged death in Ind. was life long friend of mine. But she was so terribly ill anything past a stiff breeze would hurt her.

So, as to your question.....Yes I have need of realistic numbers. Info that can be believed and nothing more. Where else to ask this.

Oh, I see. My question does not fit your beliefs. Oops.

Not a knock on your sir. This idiocy has stolen a year from me and my family. We are not willing to give any more of our valuable time unless we see some truth.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    So, as to your question.....Yes I have need of realistic numbers. Info that can be believed and nothing more. Where else to ask this.

We have other threads here on the epidemic. This thread includes people who have lost a loved one and people who may have permanent damage from the disease. I think it's not the place to debate it. That's why I asked you not to do it here.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have other threads here on the epidemic. This thread includes people who have lost a loved one and people who may have permanent damage from the disease. I think it's not the place to debate it. That's why I asked you not to do it here.

I gave my 1st world experiences. I listed people lost.
    Not debating my friend. Read up thread. Several have asked questions off that topic. Why are you on me about it.
    There are questions and debate ongoing in here. You need to look at what you are saying please.

The OP can ask me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Second hand- a friend of mine is in the hospital with COVID. He is about 50-51. I don't know much about his medical history, but he is obese (not enough is made out of this as a complicating factor). He was supposed to get convalescent plasma and some "massive" (his word) steroids today. Looking for an update tonight.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Side door maybe? And who in the hell said anything about forcing them to work?

what usually happens when you don't show up to work?

the only thing I've seen on reimbursement is testing covered by feds. also you can not see ths patient and still charge for rounding on them if you say you don't because of covid but reviewed other notes and results.

I do believe there's a higher reimbursement for covid patients which is fair because they take way more care than standard pneumonia patients. just the fraud of Medicare and DRG raising its ugly head.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just found out my oldest sister has covid. She's morbidly obese and is in a nursing home for a broken ankle that she got when she fell on the way to dialysis about a month ago. She says she also has pneumonia now (don't know if it is covid-related or not). As my other sister said, her health is so poor, it's hard to tell when she's got something new. :(

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    Several of you say you have had it but did not mention how you may have gotten it, whether you masked up when out etc. Any additional info would be appreciated.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Without getting too specific I work at an industrial site. Random testing that had been done at the site supports the idea that many people are damn near asymptomatic and are possibly spreading it without knowing. Masks are required 100% of the time and it’s heavily enforced. everything that can be done to stop spread was done. I believe and I think science backs up my beliefs that masks are helpful but if your sharing a space such doing frequent indoor meetings then anything less than an actual N95 is a recipe for spread once someone gets it.

all that said I’m 95% sure that I got it at work. My wife and I don’t go out, we do mostly click list grocery pickups and we haven’t entertained much in the way of friends or family the entire year.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Several of you say you have had it but did not mention how you may have gotten it, whether you masked up when out etc. Any additional info would be appreciated.

I mentioned a couple likely vectors in the OP but there is no way to really know. Maybe I was fine in a room of 60 masked people socially distanced but touched a dirty elevator button then my face. Maybe I breathed in some virus at the auction when I pulled down my mask to take a sip of coffee. :dunno:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Sadly, any of us who can be tracked to our places of work can't really share our numbers. I will say that I asked for myself and my two boys to be tested when I woke up and couldn't taste anything. I am a smoker, and frequently have a cough. My kids woke up with a REALLY horrible cough. The boys were checked for strept and influenza, two of us were tested for COVID. Everything came back negative, even though I am FAIRLY certain that we had it with my symptoms and the kids symptoms. We all quarantined for 14 days. How were we exposed? The kids went back to school, and I work (basically) on a COVID wing.

I will say, that the requiring of LTC facilities to test their workers WEEKLY is causing plenty of false positives on the rapid tests, hell, even in the hospital we run rapids and then confirm with the longer test. I know that we've had several false positives, and false negatives. Enough so that I don't really trust what the rapid tests say anymore; and I believe the longer test is an RNA test...so you really don't know if it's active or latent disease...there are no tests that actually indicate viral load, which is kind of shocking at this point.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    In early June on my drive to work in the morning I started getting cold sweats. I went to work, grabbed my laptop and went home. I felt like crap but didn't know what it was. That afternoon I finally took my temperature and it was above 100. The next day I talked with my Dr. And got covid tested. No more temperature and no more cold sweats. I stayed home until my results came back negative then went back to work.

In the beginning of November my wife and I and another couple went to Cancun for a week getaway. We got back to the states on November 9th. The 11th my wife started getting a head cold but just chalked it up to the temperature changing. The 13th we were eating dinner and she realized she had no smell or taste. The 15th we were able to get in and both get covid tested. Results came back the 18th and she was positive and I was negative. Her symptoms haven't changed. She is 31 and I'm 29.

She is the one who always wears her mask, frequently using hand sanitizer, and on the planes wiped everything down. If I'm not with her I don't wear a mask unless asked and only use hand sanitizer when she ask me to. Along with a couple other people here I am skeptical about how contagious it really is.

Top Bottom