• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    The IT guy at the school my wife works for just came back to work after having covid. This guy is ate up with covid koolaid. Wears a mask like it’s his religion, and only leaves his house to go to work or the dollar general across the street from his apartment. He told my wife he can’t figure out how he got it. For the most part he works in an office completely by himself except for chrome books being dropped off. She says he wears a surgical mask all day even in his office when he is alone. Or at least he has it on when she pops in.
    his case was mild. Fever and cough. He still has the cough but she says it’s very mild.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The IT guy at the school my wife works for just came back to work after having covid. This guy is ate up with covid koolaid. Wears a mask like it’s his religion, and only leaves his house to go to work or the dollar general across the street from his apartment. He told my wife he can’t figure out how he got it. For the most part he works in an office completely by himself except for chrome books being dropped off. She says he wears a surgical mask all day even in his office when he is alone. Or at least he has it on when she pops in.
    his case was mild. Fever and cough. He still has the cough but she says it’s very mild.

This virus isn't thought to be spread easily on surfaces, but I'm 90% sure something like a computer that people are constantly typing on is going to be an exception. So would things like personal phones or credit card pin pads at retail stores. You get enough viral load on those, and then touch your nose or eyes you could certainly take in the virus that way. There is also some evidence of it circulating through HVAC systems but I'm not sure how big of a load that takes or how common that is

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looking back up-thread, I see 3-4 First Person stories, and quite a few 2nd or 3rd person. NOTE: this "new math" has me all screwed up, so I may have missed 1-2.

In any case, appears to mimic reality, where less than 5% of us could even have a story to tell.

To stay on the unsubstantiated story topic: my wife and kiddo swear they had it last winter. Tired, fever, and lack of taste/smell. No test, of course, because COVID wasn't really a thing back then. Could have been allergies, could have been a head cold, or could have been a pandemic. Fluids, soup, and rest for a few days, and then back to normal. No idea if I got what they had, as I also had "allergies" around then.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Jan 26th 2020 I went to a local dealer's auction. Everything was in boxes, lots from China. When a box was opened you could see the warehouse dust fly. Headed home at 6 pm I had the start of a sore throat. By the time I got home, 16 miles I couldn't keep a tissue from my nose. I took sinus pills, ate dinner, fixed the coffee pot for the next morning and was in bed at 8:35 pm. Seems like I was blowing my nose every 5 minutes using 4 to 6 tissues. Monday morning I woke at 9:15. I turned the coffee pot on, collected the pills and bite to eat and headed to the computer. After a smoke I fixed a cup of coffee, ate and took the pills. I didn't finish that cup, turned the pot off and headed back to bed for a 2 hour nap. There wasn't a spot on my body that wasn't sore and a light fever. I nuked a cup of coffee and headed to the computer. I didn't finish that cup, I was ready for another nap.
    8+ hours of sleep every night. 2 to 4 naps every day. I felt like total crap for 16 days and seemed like 2 weeks after that before I was back to normal. During that time we learned that a neighbor's granddaughter is one of 2 first cases in Desoto county, MS.
    Did I have the rona or what, I don't know. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It's at least a few day incubation period from exposure to symptoms. So you may have had covid, but completely unrelated to the auction you went to same day your symptoms started

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    My 99 yr old aunt passed last Fri, the 13th from Covid. She was in a nursing home. She had a good life, and was witness to some great things, and some not so great things. Such is life.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I work in a hospital OR. I've seen a couple of lung surgeries trying to repair the damage done. Not pretty. System wide, we've had 1500+ cases. In my dept in particular, we usually end up with one or two people a week out on furlough. Thankfully, none of my coworkers have gotten it bad (a couple of scares where vents were discussed, but that's about it), but their families have. Lots of sick husbands, wives, brothers, etc. One person lost his brother to it. The OR is fairing better than other areas as we treat anyone without a test as a "possible" and take extra precautions, and anyone with symptoms as "rule out" that warrants full PPE. We follow airborne precautions. Rumor is we are getting the vaccine shortly (not mandatory).
    Personally, my nephew got it early before we knew how to treat it. He ended up on the ventilator and took a couple months to recover fully. Fairly healthy 20 year old. Since we are in another surge, I'll be skipping Thanksgiving this year due to my parents poor health. We'll see about Christmas. My father had a lobe of his lung removed this summer, so I'm definitely not risking being an asymptomatic positive.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My Aunt died from it at age 88 last month but I blame the doctor for her death and not covid. She was getting bad with it in her lungs and my uncle took her to the doc. They still both live and function at home, doc said she had double pneumonia and told her to go home......?.......My son had double Pneumonia at age 8 and was hospitalized for a few days.....so why not a 88 yr. old woman....? He never tested for covid and after a week she was very bad and was takin back, hosptilized and then tested and found covid, it was too late. Their daughter is a nurse in another state and came and they tried to give her the run around until they found out what all she knew. I was simply told the doctor will never practice again anywhere. My uncle who is older never got it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    to be fair there was nothing to do at the first visit if she was not requiring oxygen. there is nothing that is given to people with covid at home. they either get better or they get worse. perhaps some quarantine may be helpful.

I am not sure why we are testing non-hospitalized patients who have symptoms.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Gal across the road had it minimal side effects.

After 2 ER visits spanning 4 days waiting on testing results, FIL in IA is positive with covid (got prescribed covid meds prior to diagnosis). Their hospital beds are full. 3/4 siblings have been exposed. Hopefully we're on the upswing. He had fluids today and says he feels better.

He was having the same symptoms from a year ago when he was in Afib with the 5 way bypass.

FIL made his 3rd ER trip yesterday and is in the ICU w/ Covid. Fatigue and lack of fluids. He chose the ambulance ride because he knew he'd get fluids and oxygen on the way. Shaking uncontrollably yesterday morning.
    This was the 1st time he was able to be admitted. Had sepsis. Their hospital was full until yesterday. Now add secondary pneumonia. He had been on fluids and an oxygen mask for over 24 hours. The kids were on a Zoom call with the hospital this morning. He was able to talk and make decisions. He was just intubated, so hopefully he can rest and let his body heal.

The wife is having a rough time. In the past 12 months, she has lost her godfather/uncle, FIL had a 5-way bypass, lost her mother, lost her grandmother, and now this.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    to be fair there was nothing to do at the first visit if she was not requiring oxygen. there is nothing that is given to people with covid at home. they either get better or they get worse. perhaps some quarantine may be helpful.

Is that what they did with Trump? Did nothing.....? Doc should of tested for Covid, not just send her home. Trump didn't go to hospital and get treatments? Are you sure your a doc? If your post wasn't for me I apologize. Not sure who your talking to. Otherwise your just as bad as the doc that never tested and start her on treatments.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

ddd9ff2752e9b529d4cda02a0dfc6148.gif

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Is that what they did with Trump? Did nothing.....? Doc should of tested for Covid, not just send her home. Trump didn't go to hospital and get treatments? Are you sure your a doc? If your post wasn't for me I apologize. Not sure who your talking to. Otherwise your just as bad as the doc that never tested and start her on treatments.

Same reason we aren't quarantining people with covid in the hospital. When your symptoms improve and you don't require supplemental O2, you are going home. Have had the doc's in the room MULTIPLE times to explain this to people. Believe it or not, the medical floor is far worse to quarantine on versus your couch, and far more expensive.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Sorry for your loss, but please don't take it out on INGO. I'm sure this is emotional for your family, but that emotion might not belong here in the form you present it?

hoosierdoc provides us an otherwise unobtainable view inside the medical industry. His professional posts are very valuable to this site and our membership. Please don't run the doc off by being mean or rude to him.

:ingo:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

DragonGunner, I take great exception to the baseless statements you made toward another member. You don't know hoosierdoc. He has been an active contributor on INGO for many years. I believe you owe him a public apology.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I am with Lovemywoods on this one.

Regardless of what when and why we will not plant these seeds any more.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

hoosierdoc is a great dude. He's the real deal, lays it right out there.

Sorry for your loss, truly am.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    My Aunt died from it at age 88 last month but I blame the doctor for her death and not covid. She was getting bad with it in her lungs and my uncle took her to the doc. They still both live and function at home, doc said she had double pneumonia and told her to go home......?.......My son had double Pneumonia at age 8 and was hospitalized for a few days.....so why not a 88 yr. old woman....? He never tested for covid and after a week she was very bad and was takin back, hosptilized and then tested and found covid, it was too late. Their daughter is a nurse in another state and came and they tried to give her the run around until they found out what all she knew. I was simply told the doctor will never practice again anywhere. My uncle who is older never got it.

Very sorry for your loss.

My son, who is an EMT, calls it the genetic lottery. You will either get it or not and it will be bad or not. My 96yr old grandmother, who is on a pacemaker for a genetic heart issue, had it in August/September with fever, slight cough, and extreme fatigue. She recovered and was camping in October. My brother and his wife (in their 40's) caught it as well as their kids. Everyone in the house had slightly differing symptoms and lasted a rough week. When he got his sense of taste 'back' everything tasted burnt.

January 16th of this year, my 16yr old had a quick onset of fever spiking to 103, body aches, slight cough, etc... and it took him down fast and hard. This kid who has a metabolism that could burn through a warehouse of food in three days or less, was extremely tired for a solid two weeks. He doesn't get sick. Ever. But this nasty thing knocked him on his back and it took him a minute to get past it. His older brother caught it roughly a day or so later with high fever, cough, and fatigue. He was faster to rally that the 16yr old for sure.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom