• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is rare that you find a teacher WILLING to be armed. The vast majority want nothing to do with guns.
    The most ant-gun person on my list of acquaintances is rabidly anti-freedom. It would be gloriously ironic if she was then required to own, train with, and carry a handgun as a condition of her employment.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Allow good guys to have guns in schools. I would be happy to serve a 3 hour shift every day at a school and would be glad to take any required education to qualify. Israel doesn't have a problem because all of the teachers are armed.

If a crazy person drove a car through the school wall and killed 30 people, they would not blame the car.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Allow good guys to have guns in schools. I would be happy to serve a 3 hour shift every day at a school and would be glad to take any required education to qualify. Israel doesn't have a problem because all of the teachers are armed.

If a crazy person drove a car through the school wall and killed 30 people, they would not blame the car.

I don't believe this to be accurate. Israel is FAR different than the United States when it comes to firearms. To say that if all teachers were armed like they are in Israel (which I'm not sure is true), focuses on one avenue Israel employs and ignores all the rest. The rest which would be very distasteful to pro-2A Americans.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't believe this to be accurate. Israel is FAR different than the United States when it comes to firearms. To say that if all teachers were armed like they are in Israel (which I'm not sure is true), focuses on one avenue Israel employs and ignores all the rest. The rest which would be very distasteful to pro-2A Americans.

I can see at least some of the staff in every school being trained and armed. Updates required on training on a regular basis. Not every teacher (it is a bastion of lib idiocy or so it seems) would want to be a part of this and I can even see many be absolutely opposed to it. Possibly have a locker in each qualified teachers room and they only carry when out of the classroom. Playground and lunch time.
    There are many ways to address this. But over all not addressing the root cause will only make us escalate or fortifications against such a small group.

How about we actually look at what is going on. That would be a great idea. But until then.....harden the sites. Lose this ridiculous GFZ's and train people.

Just a thought.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'm not sure which thread on this is the most active now so I'll cross post this.

Has anyone else been hearing about this? This is the 2nd or 3rd story on it I've seen cross my FB feed today.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Anyone you find wanting to support this, please invite them to listen to this radio broadcast / podcast episode that helps cover the new firearms owners, shooters, and personal protection advocates from a different the angle of someone not raised around firearms. I've shared it with several of my non-owning friends and it has fostered some great communication / questions.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I can see at least some of the staff in every school being trained and armed. Updates required on training on a regular basis. Not every teacher (it is a bastion of lib idiocy or so it seems) would want to be a part of this and I can even see many be absolutely opposed to it. Possibly have a locker in each qualified teachers room and they only carry when out of the classroom. Playground and lunch time.
    There are many ways to address this. But over all not addressing the root cause will only make us escalate or fortifications against such a small group.

How about we actually look at what is going on. That would be a great idea. But until then.....harden the sites. Lose this ridiculous GFZ's and train people.

Just a thought.

Willing teachers, and concealed weapons, I'm ok with. Make it known that some of the teachers are armed, on their person. Post signs. If someone wants to take a roll of dice, in finding out, fine. Obviously the teachers that carry will be discovered, but that's not really the point.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Did the FBI receive a report that the child murderer was up to no good and not inform local LEO?

Was there an armed guard or LEO at the school at the time of the shooting? Was that person shot?

Did the first LEO to get there go straight in or did they wait for back up?

Where did the murder weapon come from?

These are some questions that came to mind based on comments in this thread.

I rarely bother to try to decifer truth from the media, I am unsure of what facts have been established.

It is absolutely ridiculous that a teacher that is trained and competent cannot carry a firearm during work to protect their students. We should not make a good guy with a gun a talisman either. With all good security there needs layers and nothing is close to 100% when dealing with evil.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It would be possible in nearly every school building to find willing and able people to train and be better equipped to protect. It can be done and done effectively.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Willing teachers, and concealed weapons, I'm ok with. Make it known that some of the teachers are armed, on their person. Post signs. If someone wants to take a roll of dice, in finding out, fine. Obviously the teachers that carry will be discovered, but that's not really the point.

This is exactly the way it should go.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It would be possible in nearly every school building to find willing and able people to train and be better equipped to protect. It can be done and done effectively.

Isn't the first step to get this done is pass a law making it legal in Indiana? Bypass the school administrators and school board?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This.

I've actually had FoF training that was pretty on par with what happened, fire alarm going off, smoke in the building, and over a hundred people (role-players) screaming and running, begging for help for the injured and dead, etc. Even in a simulation, the sensory input is overwhelming and the opportunities for a gunman to pretend to be just another victim and neither responders or victims to realize it are frequent. The school we used was huge, at least by the way I reckon things, but shots echo around and it's tough to tell where they are coming from, your brain cannot process all the info your senses are feeding it...it's not what people imagine it to be in the confines of "Well, I'd just..."

All true, but consider this: a teacher in a classroom will know exactly who doesn't belong in their classroom. It may get chaotic immediately, but someone who is on scene before the situation arises and intimately familiar with the room(s) and the people who are there will have a completely different experience than police officers coming in from offsite or even coming from another area of the building.

Let the teachers who want to be armed be armed. Train them and make them pass some challenging assessments pertinent to the potential scenarios in addition to the marksmanship and gun handling. They are among the first victims as well as potential victims themselves and they should be the first line of defense if for no other reason than proximity. They can then more effectively do everything they can to help until the police can arrive en masse and take over any remaining resolution that is necessary.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Heck, if the schools would let us, a significant number of us (even non-parents like me) would volunteer to help guard schools. I'd do the training, subject myself to a background check, and find a way to work a few hours of the week into my work schedule. I'm serious. They're been doing this a long time in Israel and it's effective.

Kids in schools are essentially captive and we need to protect them. Gun control laws won't do that. Addressing mental health issues more intensively will help, but it won't help in the heat of the moment when someone isn't on that radar screen yet. Armed, trained, committed people on the scene will do that.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

It's apparently not true.

Default.aspx
    http://www.israeltoday.co.il/NewsItem/tabid/178/nid/23572/Default.aspx

Guns are very restricted in Israel and only soldiers and the the police have them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Heck, if the schools would let us, a significant number of us (even non-parents like me) would volunteer to help guard schools. I'd do the training, subject myself to a background check, and find a way to work a few hours of the week into my work schedule. I'm serious. They're been doing this a long time in Israel and it's effective.

Kids in schools are essentially captive and we need to protect them. Gun control laws won't do that. Addressing mental health issues more intensively will help, but it won't help in the heat of the moment when someone isn't on that radar screen yet. Armed, trained, committed people on the scene will do that.

I would do this as well but seriously, having had to deal with the staff at my 11 year old G-daughters school you would very soon start to see them as the enemy. I do. Having those shrews up you but for any period would wear any man down.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Wonderful question. I would also ask how the murderer got into the school in the first place, and then I would want to know why the School Resource Officer assigned to the school did not engage the murderer. Tough questions, yes. They need to be answered.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Isn't the first step to get this done is pass a law making it legal in Indiana? Bypass the school administrators and school board?

Schools have the option to do it now. As much as I want this to happen I am so afraid it will get screwed up if it goes forward.
    I am meeting with my superintendent on Wednesday to talk school safety.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Doesn't help the cause when people like Trey Gowdy seem to be selling out on gun rights.

"We should look at the "instrumentality" of the guns used to commit these acts, such as magazine capacity, speed of the projectile."

Bad Gowdy. Bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Re5PBkVA0

Yeah....The knees are getting wobbly. I sense a tide turning here. We'd better hope something comes along to change the news cycle pretty soon before the call to "Just Do Something" turns into action.

Top Bottom