• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    With all the talk about loads and power factor, etc, I was thinking that maybe it's not a good place to start.:)

I have zero "practical" shooting knowledge or ability other than watching some matches last Summer.

It seems to me that this is way out of a beginner's league.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    With all the talk about loads and power factor, etc, I was thinking that maybe it's not a good place to start.:)

I have zero "practical" shooting knowledge or ability other than watching some matches last Summer.

Not the case at all, I'm just under a bullet situation and discussing options through this thread. When/If you show up you will understand why.

I started here, my girlfriend started here, and probably about 5-6 of my friends start here.

Be safe, have a good time. It's the perfect place to start, you'll see anything from a stock .22s and shotguns to $2-3k+ race guns and limited guns.

It's not intimidating at all, just tell your RO you're new and he will be sure to help you through your first match.

98% chance it won't be your last!

Go through the past threads, how many say they went their first time and did not like it?

Btw bring your gun to shoot, just don't watch!

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

I have to agree with Rangejunkie up there. I started match shooting at the Pin shoots and the FNS matches, and it is a blast. Even for beginners. Everyone is really accommodating and willing to help out. So long as you know how to operate your firearm you are good to go. There are different classes for different weapons, so don't think that if you show up with a stock pistol you will be shooting against the guys with rifles and race guns. You may end up in the same squad as them, but you are only shooting against the people in the same class as you.

I have made arrangements to be at this match, hopefully they don't get fouled up at the last minute.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis

We have tons of people show up with a stock Glock/M&P/XDm and factory ammo; they do just fine! If possible, I would try to stay away from a compact sized pistol for my first match (more difficult to shoot accurately under pressure), but even that will work in a pinch.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We have tons of people show up with a stock Glock/M&P/XDm and factory ammo; they do just fine! If possible, I would try to stay away from a compact sized pistol for my first match (more difficult to shoot accurately under pressure), but even that will work in a pinch.

I was thinking I would use my Ruger MKII .22. Can you use that or would I have to use my M&P9 that I just bought and have only 50 rounds shot so far?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    New guys...

MCFG Indy Range - Friday Night Steel

Seriously a fun time. I drive over an hour to do this & don't regret it one bit... Good people.

Basically, it's what you make of it... I typically have fun talking with the different people that are around / in my Squad.

The first time I attended, I brought my EDC (3" 1911 in .45) & had a blast! I used that for my "base time" for future reference. I continued attending while using a 1911-22 so the muscle memory & form would be the same. Later that summer, I used my other EDC (4" 1911 in .45) and had cut 90 seconds from my base time. Nothing I used had a performance enhancement. VERY stock. You'll see everything from base .22 up through high $$$ race guns.

If you want more, send me an email and I'll send you a few videos of what goes on.

Craig T

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Avon
    I'll be there but late and not shooting. Heave a wedding rehearsal I have to run sound at down the road. Then will show up to see how my father in law is doing no shooting for me this time

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    So I see a ton of excitement here....as someone looking to get into pistol matches, is this a good place to start new?

The first time is the most nerve racking. After the first stage, you will be hooked :ar15:You just compete against yourself and let the rest do their thing.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Seems to be alot of interest this month.

I'll add to the furry. I've designed 5 new stages for this months match.

A couple that are Steel Challenge spin-off's. A couple are just different then normal. And one may make you dizzy.

See everyone Friday.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    No need to feel that way! We all were new at some point. It will surprise you how many people on here will be at the comp.

So just ask around if anyone is on INGO and it will help putting a face with a name

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I'm a definitive maybe this month. I'm doing my practicals for the NRA rifle and Shotgun Instructor ratings on Saturday. Have to be at the range at 7:30Am. They haven't decided which range they are using. One is 30 minutes from my house the other is 90 miles.

JJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    I was psyced for FNS and then Silver Creek this weekend. I was informed last night that I will instead be climbing two days this weekend. So I'm out, but at least I'll still be having fun.

Top Bottom