• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Many years ago, my family owned a furniture store which went out of business. A liquidation company was brought in for the "going out of business" sale and it was quite fascinating to see from the inside. The liquidation company set all of the pricing, did all of the advertising, and even brought in their own inventory to be sold. They continued to replenish the inventory for as long as there was money to be made, and then moved on to the next "going out of business" sale.

It seems like some stores (especially furniture stores from what I've seen) are perpetually "going out of business" if the roadside signs are to be believed. Now that you've said the liquidation company was bringing in their own product in your family's store's case, it makes more sense.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Talked to a guy who had a Heritage 22 for sale and was asking $300 obo. When I told him they sold for less than $150 new he scoffed stating he just bought it last week at Gander for $297. The look on his face when I showed him the price of $125 at Buds was priceless. Some people just never learn how valuable Google is.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I was told that the Lafayette store will be called Gander World. They will expand the camping and fishing departments, and reduce on the firearm department.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    It's gonna be the same store with the same crappy service and overpriced products under a new name and will eventually have the same results.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove to be a business not worthy of my money.

I do have to give them props for fighting to get approval to fly the huge American flag at their new store in Georgetown, KY.

steelwheels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Stopped by the Fort Wayne store today, no excellent deals although I did pick up a pair of felt sole wader boots, a streamlight tlr1 and tlr3 for the same price as I could get online. Firearms are 15% off and still overpriced

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Stopped by the Fort Wayne store today, no excellent deals although I did pick up a pair of felt sole wader boots, a streamlight tlr1 and tlr3 for the same price as I could get online. Firearms are 15% off and still overpriced

Used is 20% as well, but they've been picked over to the point there's nothing left of value. There were some decent prices there, on new guns, but nothing to make me throw down some cash and buy something.

steelwheels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    Used is 20% as well, but they've been picked over to the point there's nothing left of value. There were some decent prices there, on new guns, but nothing to make me throw down some cash and buy something.
    Agreed, I mainly stopped by to pick up some cargo pants but the prices were back to msrp and the discount was no deal. I picked up some 5.11 boots and pants 3 weeks before the announcement at half the now listed price.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Agreed, I mainly stopped by to pick up some cargo pants but the prices were back to msrp and the discount was no deal. I picked up some 5.11 boots and pants 3 weeks before the announcement at half the now listed price.

I got the last M59/66A1 they had last week, for a price that I felt was fare. To get one in similar condition, I would have spent just as much online, by the time I shipped and transferred one. There are a few other guns I have my eyes on at the Ft Wayne location, just waiting to see how low things go.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Stopped in last night at Castleton, since some things are up to 50% off now, so a few of the prices were tolerable and I walked out with some new fall bowhunting camo that I put back on the rack a couple weeks ago when they were 20% off.

Firearms are at 15% off, but the LC9s is still about $50 above RK's every day price. A few Remmy shotguns are at $280. Some of the scopes are starting to move. The store is starting to look a little bit thinner.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My brother called me from the Lafayette store to tell me they had IMR White Hotz on sale for 40% off.
    I asked him to pick me up a couple of boxes.
    He called back after checking out. They were incorrectly marked on the shelf.
    Instead of being 40% off, they were 50% off! $14.99 p/box of 72 pellets! :rockwoot:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Gander Mtn has two distribution centers in the office park where I work in Lebanon. The employees have been gone for 2 weeks and they are now selling the racks and fixtures.

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    I prefer buying via the internet so for me it will not be a very sad news. Only a lazy or a very rich man goes to the store because it is the closest to his home.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    My eleven year old was looking to spend some birthday money on an upgrade to his pocket knife. He saw one he liked at another store for $35. I decided to swing over to gander first, as I haven't been in there since the sales started and thought maybe there might be a deal on the same knife. Yeah, I forgot what a horrible company gander is. All knives were 20% off, and they had that exact knife....,.. for $73. After the sale, it would be over $20 higher than the other store. I can't understand how that placed stayed alivee as long as it did.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    New long guns are now 20% off, as well as the used inventory. Handguns still only 15% off. Rifle ammo is 15%, handgun ammo is 10%. Seems like, at least in Ft Wayne, the move to 20% has started to really clear out some long guns quickly.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    New long guns are now 20% off, as well as the used inventory. Handguns still only 15% off. Rifle ammo is 15%, handgun ammo is 10%. Seems like, at least in Ft Wayne, the move to 20% has started to really clear out some long guns quickly.
    What if I have a rife that uses 9mm or .22lr? Is that 15% off aka 30% above MSRP?

Top Bottom