Not open for further replies.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    How many INGOers get absolutely giddy when Democrats and Democrat politicians "eat their own"?

Yet that is exactly what is going on right here.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How many INGOers get absolutely giddy when Democrats and Democrat politicians "eat their own"?

Yet that is exactly what is going on right here.

My own? Dude, I'm not side-oriented anyway, but if I were, I'll disown any mother****er who thinks not wearing a mask rises to the level of crime against society that's worth 6 months in jail, especially without quantifiable evidence to support that it's that much of a crime.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I was not a big fan of Holcomb before this pandemic. Also, I wish he had kept the mask situation as a PSA and been voluntary. However (unpopular opinion coming): I think he's done a reasonable job with the pandemic emergency and I base it on the following:
    -Indiana has been transparent with their data. I assume the credit for this goes to Dr Box, but I don't really know
    -Holcomb has been fairly straightforward about what data they are using to make decisions, even when I don't think those decisions were perfect.
    -There is nobody that can make all the right decisions in such an unpredictable situation. My statement to my staff in February was "for the foreseeable future, a long term plan consists of one week".
    -Indiana is the only state afaik that undertook scientifically-based sampling for prevalence of current infection and antibodies, which helps in making rational decisions

I do think a governor should have emergency powers. This is one of many conceivable situations where information changes rapidly, and needs a response within a time frame that may not allow for thorough debate. However, I've seen the suggestion that the legislature should perhaps be required to renew emergency powers every 30 days. I think that's a good idea both to hold the governor accountable as well as force the legislators to have some skin in the game.

For the moment, I would contact the governor's office and let him know how you feel about the mandate, or perhaps suggest the consequence at least be something much different.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My own? Dude, I'm not side-oriented anyway, but if I were, I'll disown any mother****er who thinks not wearing a mask rises to the level of crime against society that's worth 6 months in jail, especially without quantifiable evidence to support that it's that much of a crime.

I'm going to withhold the brunt of my ire till someone is actually charged.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The problem goes beyond just Holcomb. The Reps and Senators are no better at this point.

Tell me about it. We're planning our moves to put Sherrod Brown out to pasture, and now we are seriously wondering about DeWine. He had his own little proto-Whitmer for a while (Amy Acton) who as director of the Ohio Dept of Health wanted to eliminate all that messy legislative input and just write the restrictions herself and have DeWine rubber stamp them

I'm happy to say the pushback was so hard that DeWine pulled her out of her job with legislative oversight (ODH) and made her an advisor and she has pretty much disappeared from the public square, although she may have had input on the statewide mask mistake

It does seem that whenever we elect a greatest common denominator candidate, one without strong views on anything, like Republican SCOTUS picks it is the very lack of strong views that makes them so disappointing. DeWine was thought to be a safe placeholder until we cultivated a crop of younger candidates for governor. Caveat emptor

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Guy Relford has posted on his Facebook an official opinion by AG Curtis Hill to the effect that Holcomb's executive order criminalizing failure to wear a mask is unconstitutional since it constitutes a usurpation of the legislature's authority to make laws.

According to Hill the only way Holcomb can make it stick is to convene a special session of the legislature and get their approval.

The mask mandate is unenforceable.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Guy Relford has posted on his Facebook an official opinion by AG Curtis Hill to the effect that Holcomb's executive order criminalizing failure to wear a mask is unconstitutional since it constitutes a usurpation of the legislature's authority to make laws.

According to Hill the only way Holcomb can make it stick is to convene a special session of the legislature and get their approval.

IANAL, BUT it seems that if you have the time and patience, you can go to a public place and wander around without mask, when arrested or hassled you get a nice payday from the lawsuit.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Have you actually looked into this man. Good lord "J" what are you thinking.

No Assholcomb is not what we need but your guy is less of what we need than what we have.
    God here we go again.

Hey folks its your vote but look at what we are all railing against. We get the Gov we vote for. It is way to late in this game to do much but if everyone stays focused is it possible to get rid of enough of those butt brains.

I think what gravels people is the need to exercise restraint with regard to nearly balanced legislative bodies, along with the impression that their disappointing electees count on this to insulate them from many consequences of their behavior in office. People want there to be consequences an often that just isn't true

I have made and believe the argument that a Libertarian vote for president in 2020 could help put a Democrat over the top, and that any benefit derived from such a vote is not worth the cost. But there has to be some level at which we can start holding politicians feet to the fire. Since Republicans hold a super-majority in both the Indiana house and senate, any state representative position would seem to be one place where the cost of backing a dark horse would be manageable. Arguably, you could afford to do the same for governor with the likelihood of retaining those legislative majorities giving the ability to rein in a governor, but the Holcomb thing shows what a delicate balance that actually is. I'm not aware of opposition to Holcomb and the penalty part overreach of his mask order yet crystalizing around anyone or anything, although hopefully that is going on as we speak

I think the folks saying back the dark horse in the primary to minimize the risk if you fail are on the right track, but even that could weaken Holcomb because the support that went to the challenger may not simply recrystalize behind Holcomb in the general. Holcomb won by 6%, but depending on who the Dems run against him,and postulating some effect from a hard-fought primary, that could turn out not to be enough. Dissatisfaction with Holcomb, if not given an outlet, could certainly have the same effect

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I'm going to withhold the brunt of my ire till someone is actually charged.
    Agreed. I think a mandate and especially potential jail time is ridiculous. The only people that get jail time will be the ones that become abusive or assault someone, and we didn't need a new law for that.

I'm a lot more upset about the trillions Congress spent with allocation to corporations, complicated PPP loan, etc. That precedent is truly growing and sticking.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Remember that you can starve or be ruined because of the legal costs to eventually have the jury return that verdict, and achieve a thoroughly Pyrrhic victory. Better to kill it at the source

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So just because Holcumb forgot how laws are supposed to be passed in regard to the mask mandate means he has to go and we would be better with a democrat governor? That worked well for virtually all the states with the worst living conditions.

And when it comes to the president, same thing as the problem with Holcumb. The last time a third party candidate got a sizable vote count, it gave us 8 years of william jefferson clinton, and that worked out really well for firearm owners, as well as many other groups.

Again we come down to the lesser of two evils, and in this case, the worse one really is worse than we can imagine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was not a big fan of Holcomb before this pandemic. Also, I wish he had kept the mask situation as a PSA and been voluntary. However (unpopular opinion coming): I think he's done a reasonable job with the pandemic emergency and I base it on the following:
    -Indiana has been transparent with their data. I assume the credit for this goes to Dr Box, but I don't really know
    -Holcomb has been fairly straightforward about what data they are using to make decisions, even when I don't think those decisions were perfect.
    -There is nobody that can make all the right decisions in such an unpredictable situation. My statement to my staff in February was "for the foreseeable future, a long term plan consists of one week".
    -Indiana is the only state afaik that undertook scientifically-based sampling for prevalence of current infection and antibodies, which helps in making rational decisions

I do think a governor should have emergency powers. This is one of many conceivable situations where information changes rapidly, and needs a response within a time frame that may not allow for thorough debate. However, I've seen the suggestion that the legislature should perhaps be required to renew emergency powers every 30 days. I think that's a good idea both to hold the governor accountable as well as force the legislators to have some skin in the game.

For the moment, I would contact the governor's office and let him know how you feel about the mandate, or perhaps suggest the consequence at least be something much different.

And yet here we are. What other state has criminalized not wearing a mask as strictly as Indiana has? How is this a rationally derived decision based on the fruits of that uniquely grand approach of Indiana?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    And yet here we are. What other state has criminalized not wearing a mask as strictly as Indiana has? How is this a rationally derived decision based on the fruits of that uniquely grand approach of Indiana?
    Right, I don't agree with this particular decision especially the "6 month" sentence. Call or write and see if it gets anywhere.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Right or wrong, we need a name to get behind pretty quick. A name that could generate funding for the campaign.

Even a "strategic" write-in run through the third week of October to see if polling could indicate a possible win. Only to gracefully withdraw, if the polling showed no chance of a win. (If only the ****ing liberaltarians could do this. :rolleyes:)

Whether actually possible or not, Holcomb needs to see that he COULD LOSE.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Holcomb might have had a little time to call in a special session but has not and he won’t. He is a egotistical coward that treats us as a child. So all the mask wearers can say I told you so. If mask are the answer then why is California the highest in the nation for cases? You know they follow every word there lord and savior governor puts out.
    I will not be voting for Holcomb again I want his party of high taxes and controlling the subjects of Indiana with nothing but contempt, to know that the famous line of oh well I guess I will because I don’t have a Choice. He is wrong I do have a choice and going to exercise it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So my girlfriend is on a crusade to get rid of Gov. Holcomb. She's talked to Jim Lucas, who she knows and he has agreed to be a write in candidate. The problem is that we need to spread the word so that we're just not throwing away votes and putting a Democrap into office. I'm not at all versed in these things and have no idea (other than posting on INGO) how to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or if this is a bad idea and is unlikely to work, explain why that is. Thanks.

Donald Rainwater is already on the ballot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm not voting for Holcomb. Tell me the difference between him and his rival. Even if his rival gets voted in. They can't do anything with a republican controlled congress. Holcomb is a Rino and imo no Difference between than a leftist Democrat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom