• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    That's a baseball in the picture..Shelby tends to destroy tennis balls rather quickly. :): One thing I noticed, when the temperatures are 60 degrees or higher (yesterday it was 77 here), Shelby is only good for a few dozens throws before she lays down and quits all huffing and puffing. She may not have the ball drive like some GSD. Your suggestion using a racket with a tennis ball is a good one and I may consider that in the future. :yesway:

There are also other tools for getting distance on a tennis ball. There is a toy called a Chuck It that you swing and there are sling shots and there's even a special golf club called a Doggie Driver (:n00b:)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    That's a baseball in the picture..Shelby tends to destroy tennis balls rather quickly. :): One thing I noticed, when the temperatures are 60 degrees or higher (yesterday it was 77 here), Shelby is only good for a few dozens throws before she lays down and quits all huffing and puffing. She may not have the ball drive like some GSD. Your suggestion using a racket with a tennis ball is a good one and I may consider that in the future. :yesway:

mine ripped off part of my wood deck the other day. I was like :n00b:

so then I got her a new ball, a soccer ball and she popped it in 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

im gonna throw some candy in my yard so she will have some little kids to chew on I guess

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    mine ripped off part of my wood deck the other day. I was like :n00b:

so then I got her a new ball, a soccer ball and she popped it in 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

im gonna throw some candy in my yard so she will have some little kids to chew on I guess

I can't give Roxie the tennis balls that are sold for dogs. Those are gone in 5 minutes. She finds a comfy spot and rips them to shreds:n00b:...I have to buy actual tennis balls but those are cheaper anyways :D. The only soccer ball I've given her she's not crazy about, too big to pick up and carry around I guess

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    This is Shelby. She just turn 8 months old on April 1st. She weighs right at 70lbs. She came from the last USMC_0311 litter. She loves to to play ball (fetch).
    ShelbyonApril32011002.jpg

Our baby Shelby was the last pup of the litter the one noone else picked until we came along. She is smart and a wonderful dog and she loves us as much as we love her. :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    That's a baseball in the picture..Shelby tends to destroy tennis balls rather quickly. :):

Yeah, Leonidas used to be the same way, but I've conditioned him to not destroy them so quickly anymore...Step one was to no longer allow him to ever have one unless he was bringing it back to me...That still took some work as well, because on his way back from retrieving it, he'd just chew on it like piece of bubble gum until he got back.:):

One thing I noticed, when the temperatures are 60 degrees or higher (yesterday it was 77 here), Shelby is only good for a few dozens throws before she lays down and quits all huffing and puffing. She may not have the ball drive like some GSD. Your suggestion using a racket with a tennis ball is a good one and I may consider that in the future. :yesway:

Leo has no such issues; although when it's 90+ degrees outside and he done the 120 yard round trip 60-70 times, he's usually alright with coming back inside for some water.:):

My last GSD had ZERO ball drive...He was one of the smartest dogs I've ever met, but toss a ball for him and he'd just look at you like "well that was stupid, now you have to go all the way over there to get it.":rolleyes:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    My last GSD had ZERO ball drive...He was one of the smartest dogs I've ever met, but toss a ball for him and he'd just look at you like "well that was stupid, now you have to go all the way over there to get it.":rolleyes:

:laugh:

mine is the same as yours. she will play fetch well past what i cant tolerate. a true machine. i worry about her overheating because that tongue hangs out of her mouth so far, lol but she will still go get that ball all day long.

she likes to get squirrels and neighborhood cats too :D

then our younger cat will just let her slobber on her all day long. the whole cats head will be in her mouth and she will be purring :rolleyes:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I can't give Roxie the tennis balls that are sold for dogs. Those are gone in 5 minutes. She finds a comfy spot and rips them to shreds:n00b:...I have to buy actual tennis balls but those are cheaper anyways :D. The only soccer ball I've given her she's not crazy about, too big to pick up and carry around I guess

I heard the rubber in regular tennis balls were bad for dogs teeth, ate away at the enamal. Have you ever heard that? Probably just another rumor, but since you work with pets I thought you could shed some light on this.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    That's a smart cat you got there E5...she knows who is going to be her protector if another dog or coyotoe comes in the yard.

yeah, she actually begs the dog to love on her. then my older cat he is declawed in the front, but if he is laying on the couch and the dog even walks past him he will box the crap out of the dog and the dog takes it, lol. funniest thing ever

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I heard the rubber in regular tennis balls were bad for dogs teeth, ate away at the enamal. Have you ever heard that? Probably just another rumor, but since you work with pets I thought you could shed some light on this.

It's the abrasive yellow fuzz that's harmful, not the rubber.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

It's the abrasive yellow fuzz that's harmful, not the rubber.

I haven't heard one way or the other. The fuzz on the real tennis balls holds up better but she doesn't sit and chew on them either. She just carries them around :dunno: But I'd venture a guess, a GUESS, that the enamal would be harmed by other things more then the rubber or fuzz on these balls. Bones anyone?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I haven't heard one way or the other. The fuzz on the real tennis balls holds up better but she doesn't sit and chew on them either. She just carries them around :dunno: But I'd venture a guess, a GUESS, that the enamal would be harmed by other things more then the rubber or fuzz on these balls. Bones anyone?

That's just what I've read.

The only time Leonidas has a tennis ball is when he's retrieving one, so I don't see it being an issue.

Tennis ball + racket is the fastest and most effective way of getting him his much needed daily(when time and weather permits) exercise, so I'll take the risk.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    That's just what I've read.

The only time Leonidas has a tennis ball is when he's retrieving one, so I don't see it being an issue.

Tennis ball + racket is the fastest and most effective way of getting him his much needed daily(when time and weather permits) exercise, so I'll take the risk.

I'll take the risk too. I give Roxie rib bones regularly. And she loved the smoked ham neck bones I got her. Help clean her teeth, give her something "natural" to chew on and, eww factor here but helps dry out runny poop.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    LOVE my GSD!!! He is almost 12 now, but still has his puppy enthusiasm. Now that our 1yr old daughter is starting to walk, he is reluctantly giving up his prime sleeping spots for more secluded place so as not to be roused as much. We are also talking about getting another pup, but have delayed due to the baby and moving recently. Hopefully this year I'll implement a containment system and get that new pup!

Edit: +1 for the chuckit. Couldn't live without it!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom