• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I just have to wonder of the age of the "child". The media is heavily emphasizing "child" in their reports, but was it a 17-year-old, or a 10-year old?

Not that it indemnifies the owner who parted with his piece, but I'd think if they knew it was a 10-year-old, they'd be sensationalizing that in the story, and since they're not, I'm guessing that the "child' was old enough to know better.

According to Fishers PD, the boy was 6 years old.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/26/us/child-fires-gun-ikea-trnd/index.html

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I always hear this on the internet and from experts that always hear it and maybe some guys who teach classes have forced one to fail so you hear about it all over the internet. But I know people who carried serpas In afghanistan, Iraq, Bosnia, Africa, and never had one fail.

We've had at least one fail on our range in training, and it wasn't anything the wearer was intentionally trying to do. The gravel at our range is the perfect size to lock one up badly enough it must be taken apart to get the gun out. I'm also aware of a hand full of real world gun lock-ins reported. Mission drives the gear train. If you're going in sand, not a problem. Standing guard duty on concrete, not a problem. In a position to be knocked down or get in an entangled fight in mud, snow, twigs, or other debris of the correct size, potential problem. For me and my purposes, that's a valid risk and one that the SERPA has no qualities I can't get in a holster that doesn't have that potential.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a push to make stupid GFZ declarations like this carry the weight of law.

In answer to the upthread question "WTF doesn't teach their chilluns about guns?", it's the people who put up these signs. After my son came home from k-garten telling about a lecture that air-guns aren't toys and being shown an x-ray of a pellet in a dog, my ex offered the video of "eddie eagle" to show in class. The response was "NOooo, that's NRA and it's about GUNS!!!!" It's hard to change willfull ignorance/stupidity

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    In answer to the upthread question "WTF doesn't teach their chilluns about guns?", it's the people who put up these signs. After my son came home from k-garten telling about a lecture that air-guns aren't toys and being shown an x-ray of a pellet in a dog, my ex offered the video of "eddie eagle" to show in class. The response was "NOooo, that's NRA and it's about GUNS!!!!" It's hard to change willfull ignorance/stupidity

"I won't teach my child gun safety because that's normalizing guns. We don't need to normalize them, we need to get rid of them!"

Same broken logic as abstinence-only sex ed. People would rather deny reality and teach a fictionalized version of reality to their kids than actually have to acknowledge what the world is and teach their children how to exist in it safely.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    "I won't teach my child gun safety because that's normalizing guns. We don't need to normalize them, we need to get rid of them!"

Same broken logic as abstinence-only sex ed. People would rather deny reality and teach a fictionalized version of reality to their kids than actually have to acknowledge what the world is and teach their children how to exist in it safely.
    No doubt, "just say 'no'" is sticking one's head in the sand but I think it should be primarily the parent's job. Beyond biology class, I'm not sure that schools are a good place to teach this. If the message is conservative, the ACLU will being throwing law suits around because the curriculum sounds suspiciously like a sermon or it will be a morally nihilistic, hedonistic "if you're not hurting anybody and it feels good..."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wait...are we saying that "if you see a gun, don't touch it" is an unrealistic rule for kids?....'cause it sounds a lot like an abstinence only message.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wait...are we saying that "if you see a gun, don't touch it" is an unrealistic rule for kids?....'cause it sounds a lot like an abstinence only message.

Translation: gun ownership should be between one person and one gun. The way God intended it.

;)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We've had at least one fail on our range in training, and it wasn't anything the wearer was intentionally trying to do. The gravel at our range is the perfect size to lock one up badly enough it must be taken apart to get the gun out. I'm also aware of a hand full of real world gun lock-ins reported. Mission drives the gear train. If you're going in sand, not a problem. Standing guard duty on concrete, not a problem. In a position to be knocked down or get in an entangled fight in mud, snow, twigs, or other debris of the correct size, potential problem. For me and my purposes, that's a valid risk and one that the SERPA has no qualities I can't get in a holster that doesn't have that potential.
    Deffinately not my daily holster but I dont hate them and didnt jump on the bandwagon like some people did. If youve had your own experience then I certainly wouldn't call you a bandwagoner

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Translation: gun ownership should be between one person and one gun. The way God intended it.

;)

I just spent 5 minutes in MSPaint for this joke.

You better appreciate it.

Get it. It's a gay joke.

2xys1u4.png

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    It's not "abstinence only" if your provide your kids with supervised hands-on instruction. I know, that doesnt' work for people like shannon watts, but she wants abstinence for everybody

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I just spent 5 minutes in MSPaint for this joke.

You better appreciate it.

Get it. It's a gay joke.

2xys1u4.png

Well, the forum instruction manual tells me "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GPIA7R again." but I give it a 9/10. :D

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    To be fair, the child could have been attempting to make the firearm safe when it discharged.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

To be fair that rule should not only be intended for kids but also anyone not familiar with guns.

Plenty of adults have shot other folks by accident when the found a gun, and pointed it at people (finger on trigger).

Top Bottom