HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    why another custom barrel when this law would open up all large rifle calibers ?

Because I like to be different and spend money like I am going to get more in two weeks. In reality, no cartridge that may be approved is going to kill deer any better than the 35 Remington Rimmed 1.8 I have been using for a few years. I will use it as an excuse to get a new barrel though.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    So how are disabled people supposed to follow the 10' rule? I see this part being challenged in court

Another good point.

Putting my conspiracy hat on for a minute, I start to think the 10' rule is asinine that no one would have legitimately proposed it. It follows that it was done to create a point of argument that could cause discussions to be made that would cause deadlines to be missed.

Honestly, I thought that no rule was crazier than the cartridge-length-for-specific-species one that already existed but this thing tops even that!

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    What about when youre in a creek bed in the bottom of a hollow and want to shoot a deer you see--climbing your 10' stand would be ok, but walking up the side of the hill 10' would not be ok? You'd be at the same level of elevation under either scenario.

And if being on the side of a hill higher than 10' from the bottom of the lowest point is ok, then......

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    What about when youre in a creek bed in the bottom of a hollow and want to shoot a deer you see--climbing your 10' stand would be ok, but walking up the side of the hill 10' would not be ok? You'd be at the same level of elevation under either scenario.

And if being on the side of a hill higher than 10' from the bottom of the lowest point is ok, then......

Exactly--this 10' nonsense is more ridiculous than the case length rule.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    The 10' rule is to address the concerns of shooting from the ground on flat land where little to no elevation change is around for thousands of yards. I am surprised that they did not make it higher. The Senator that proposed it also voted against the whole bill. She appears to have the same uneducated view point that most that are opposed to it do.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The 10' rule is to address the concerns of shooting from the ground on flat land where little to no elevation change is around for thousands of yards. I am surprised that they did not make it higher. The Senator that proposed it also voted against the whole bill. She appears to have the same uneducated view point that most that are opposed to it do.

IOW, it was a poison pill designed to wreck the entire bill's chances.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    it is supposed to be up for second reading today.

AMENDMENTS??

1)SENATE MOTION MADAM PRESIDENT: I move that Engrossed House Bill 1231 be amended to read as follows: 1 Page 2, delete lines 8 through 14. (Reference is to EHB 1231 as printed February 24, 2016.) ________________________________________
    Senator PERFECT MO123101/DI 92 2016

REMOVES THE NORTH SOUTH LANQUAGE

2) SENATE MOTION MADAM PRESIDENT: I move that Engrossed House Bill 1231 be amended to read as follows: 1 Page 1, line 7, delete "privately owned land" and insert " state 2 owned hunting areas ". 3 Page 2, between lines 16 and 17, begin a new paragraph and insert: 4 " (c) A rule adopted under subsection (a) may not authorize 5 more than four (4) annual rifle seasons for hunting deer. The 6 department shall report on the impact of the hunting seasons 7 authorized under this section to the governor and, in an electronic 8 format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15, 9 2020. 10 (d) This section expires June 30, 2020. ". (Reference is to EHB 1231 as printed February 24, 2016.) ________________________________________ Senator HERSHMAN MO123105/DI 92 2016

REMOVES PRIVATE LAND AND LIMITS IT TO 4 SEASONS?

3) SENATE MOTION MADAM PRESIDENT: I move that Engrossed House Bill 1231 be amended to read as follows: 1 Page 2, between lines 16 and 17, begin a new paragraph and insert: 2 "SECTION 2. IC 14-22-2-9 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE 3 AS A NEW SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE 4 UPON PASSAGE]: Sec. 9. (a) This section applies to a hunting 5 season beginning after June 30, 2016. 6 (b) Notwithstanding any rule prescribing the minimum length 7 of a handgun cartridge case, a hunter may use a handgun that fires 8 a commercially available bullet of ten (10) millimeters in diameter 9 to hunt deer. 10 (c) The use of a handgun described in subsection (b) to hunt 11 deer is subject to the rules: 12 (1) requiring that the handgun conform to the requirements 13 of IC 35-47-1-6; 14 (2) prescribing the minimum barrel length of the handgun; 15 and 16 (3) prohibiting the use of full metal jacketed bullets. MO123107/DI 92 2016

EXPANDED TO INCLUDE 10MM HANDGUNS

4) SENATE MOTION MADAM PRESIDENT: I move that Engrossed House Bill 1231 be amended to read as follows: 1 Page 2, delete lines 6 through 7, begin a new line block indented 2 and insert: 3 " (4) The rifle must be equipped with a magazine that is 4 incapable of holding more than ten (10) cartridges. ". 5 Page 2, between lines 16 and 17, begin a new paragraph and insert: 6 " (c) A rule adopted under subsection (a) may not authorize 7 more than four (4) annual rifle seasons for hunting deer. 8 (d) This section expires June 30, 2020. ". (Reference is to EHB 1231 as printed February 24, 2016.) ________________________________________ Senator MESSMER MO123106/DI 92 2016

LIMITS MAGAZINES TO 10 CARTRIDGES

NOTHING ON RESCINDING THE TEN FOOT RULE

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Looks like they took what was a ridiculous bifurcation of the rules for Public / Private land hunting (and sarcastic land demarcation) and made into a cob-web that will make a huge mess ... IMO ...

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    The bill is all borked up now. It passed the second reading today, but either intentionally or mistakenly, it only allows HPR's on state ground. Lol!

Still only for southern Indiana.
    Allows rifles on state owned property only.
    Allows inclusion of 10mm handguns for deer.

The 10' rule was removed.

The final vote deadline is Wednesday. Hopefully they can get the private/state land stuff sorted out

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Looks like they took what was a ridiculous bifurcation of the rules for Public / Private land hunting (and sarcastic land demarcation) and made into a cob-web that will make a huge mess ... IMO ...

It is a class A mess for sure. I think the senator wanted to include the public ground and not get rid of thee private ground UNLESS he meant for it to be a bill killer.

Here is what it is now before going to conference..

Splits state north/south
    Allows rifles on state owned property only
    Allows inclusion of 10 mm handguns

looks like we are posting at the same time M4...

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    The 10-foot rule was deleted with language in Amendment #4. That language is "delete lines 6 through 7."

"4) SENATE MOTION MADAM PRESIDENT: I move that Engrossed House Bill 1231 be amended to read as follows: 1 Page 2, delete lines 6 through 7, begin a new line block indented 2 and insert: 3 " (4) The rifle must be equipped with a magazine that is 4 incapable of holding more than ten (10) cartridges. "

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    However it passes, it will be used as an example of how it is perfectly safe and blood really didn't run in the streets. After a year or so, it will open it up to the whole state and we will use whatever areas are allowed as an example. I'm glad it may pass in some way, and glad the 10 mm is given the respect it deserves.

bart1533

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    indianapolis/owen co
    However it passes, it will be used as an example of how it is perfectly safe and blood really didn't run in the streets. After a year or so, it will open it up to the whole state and we will use whatever areas are allowed as an example. I'm glad it may pass in some way, and glad the 10 mm is given the respect it deserves.
    As much as it sucks. I total agree. Eventually we will be able too..

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Or a remotely fired, camera-equipped .270 that is mounted 10 feet above your attached backpack. Monitor is on your iwatch app. You can walk anywhere you want then and take the shot.

It'll be called the Shooting Overhead Mounted Equipped Indiana Ballistic System. Abbreviated S.O.M.E Indiana B.S.

:+1: :lol2::rofl:absolutely well put!!!

Top Bottom