HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    With 30-30, 308, 30-06, and 300 being allowed, it's not a hard stretch for them to allow in 7.62x54R, and .303 British... Would let some of us surplus guys in on it too. Of course then they'll end up with a huge list of allowed calibers... Might as well just set diameter and case length requirements like they've done already. If not you'll have the constant requests for evaluation of all the calibers in between what's already allowed in terms of size and power...

And 7.62X39, and 7.7X58 Jap...

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    Not to be a smartass, but is your 35 Rem any of the following-

308 Win
    243 Win
    30/06 SPG
    30/30 WCF
    300 Win Mag

If not, yes a trim will be needed for legality. Silly I know.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    So you can hunt with a Glock 23?

The way it is currently written yes. General assumption is that DNR will clarify all of these ambiguous statements when they publish the hunting guide.

I assume they ment 10mm auto but are bafoons and did not realize a 40 smith and wesson uses a 10mm bullet too!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The way it is written currently doesn't specify 10mm auto, 40 Smith and Wesson or 10mm auto mag. Hopefully DNR will clarify this.

not that it would matter, a lot of10mm ammo is downloaded to 40s&w level anyway.

what I wonder is does the new language mean I can no longer use the previously legal rifles on public land?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The only downside for me is the private land portion, because I pretty much stick to the state properties. Hopefully the State Park Reductions will allow the new HPR's since they are special hunts, but if not I am still well equipped with the 35 Remington Rimmed 1.8".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The only downside for me is the private land portion, because I pretty much stick to the state properties. Hopefully the State Park Reductions will allow the new HPR's since they are special hunts, but if not I am still well equipped with the 35 Remington Rimmed 1.8".

Hopefully after a season or two of blood not running down the trails, we can get this worked in for us regular folk who don't have or won't pay for access to private hunting grounds.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    not that it would matter, a lot of10mm ammo is downloaded to 40s&w level anyway.

what I wonder is does the new language mean I can no longer use the previously legal rifles on public land?

Really?

The HP proposal is an addition, not a substitute.
    Geeesh, how hard is this stuff people?

Bordering on ridiculous.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hmmmm, a special hunt on state ground................is not "private land".
    Maybe some special allowance due to the hunt being regulated.............but my guess is that aint gonna happen.
    Even if the state eventually goes full HP rifle, special hunts might have such gear excluded.

mistersmith

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    NWI
    The Bill has a lot of craziness in it, but I am still happy it passed. Maybe someday we all can use rifles to harvest some deer. Good day for hunters.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Colorado equip regs
    http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf
    page 16

Cheap tags, no preference points needed, can use scopes, pellets and sabots..........Indiana is so backwards.

For me its nearly impossible to compare a state like Colorado with 43.3% public land to Indiana with 4.5%. Indiana is 43rd when it comes to public land.

Regulatoins that work for states like that can't simply be cut and pasted into our drastically different environment.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I'm not sure Colorado's cheap either. My brother lives there and he always asks me to come hunting with him. Every time I start adding up the costs, I'm quickly overwhelmed. And forget a Colorado outfitter. I could just about go hunt African plains game for the same price.

However, their firearms regulation for guns is pretty simple. Indiana could do worse than adopt that word for word.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm not sure Colorado's cheap either. My brother lives there and he always asks me to come hunting with him. Every time I start adding up the costs, I'm quickly overwhelmed. And forget a Colorado outfitter. I could just about go hunt African plains game for the same price.

However, their firearms regulation for guns is pretty simple. Indiana could do worse than adopt that word for word.

Colorado is only cheap to hunt if you're a resident.
    But then they pay extra for living in such.

My sis had a nice muley in her yard every winter.......at least 30".
    Hell the smaller 4x4 was shootable AFAIC. Problem was..........not public land where they were.
    But with BIL's connections I'm sure the trespass fee would only be half heart attack worthy.

My prev post was flavored with sarcasm............amazing how hard that is for folks to pick up.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    With 30-30, 308, 30-06, and 300 being allowed, it's not a hard stretch for them to allow in 7.62x54R, and .303 British... Would let some of us surplus guys in on it too. Of course then they'll end up with a huge list of allowed calibers... Might as well just set diameter and case length requirements like they've done already. If not you'll have the constant requests for evaluation of all the calibers in between what's already allowed in terms of size and power...

By not allowing that stuff they might have figured it to reduce the chance of Bubba running FMJ.
    I expect the regs to open up after the trial period, or sooner.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Hmmmm, a special hunt on state ground................is not "private land".
    Maybe some special allowance due to the hunt being regulated.............but my guess is that aint gonna happen.
    Even if the state eventually goes full HP rifle, special hunts might have such gear excluded.

The goal of the reduction hunts is reduction so I wouldn't be surprised if they made an exception. It really doesn't matter, because they aren't going to be any more dead than the 35 Remington already makes them. I don't need to use the beanfield rifle here anyway.

Top Bottom