• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Tell you what, show me your ratio of "yay police" posts vs "boo police" posts. Or don't. I'll probably be too lazy to read it.

A quick search revealed that my last thread about cops was a positive one. Hah!

Are we done pretending its an endemic issue?

You do the same thing to LE that the gun grabbers do to us. Take a few incidents, believe that what you see is all there is, and run with it.

On an individual level, I agree with you that there are a small number of cops who act like morons. On a larger level, there is a systemic problem and it needs to be addressed. We demand so much nanny state interference that law enforcement in our nation has grown to obscene levels. Because of that, many departments are scraping the bottom of the barrel for recruits and covering up their lack of training, intelligence and decency with body armor and tactical vehicles. Accountability is next to non-existent in some departments.

I can acknowledge that there are plenty of good officers (and even good departments) with good intentions out there while still pointing out that the system is a mess.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Stuff like this is why we need smarter police officers. Or better yet officers that aren't dumb. An average intelligence officer would go "hold up guys, there's a news helicopter above us." A dumb officer does what these guys did, and a smart officer would do his job.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Must not have seen the SC thread yet.

Are we done pretending its an endemic issue?

You do the same thing to LE that the gun grabbers do to us. Take a few incidents, believe that what you see is all there is, and run with it.

A few incidents? One or two a year would be too many, and I could post a video like this every day.

I think it is endemic. I've said this before, but every one of these videos have something in common. A "bad apple" does something that would mortify a normal human being, and the rest of the LE present either watches as if it is commonplace as grass, or they join in. Here's a classic example from right here Indiana. I'm sure there must be a thread excusing this guys behavior somewhere.

LUCIzoZ.gif

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's also the aspect of the situation that a profession known for violence would naturally attract people who are violence prone. Add to that the aspect of the federal government promoting violence by calling anyone and everyone it doesn't like terrorists in some fashion or degree, and it's no surprise when things like this happen. Where are the aspects of society or the profession which run counter to these aspects? I'd like to see more of those.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A few incidents? One or two a year would be too many, and I could post a video like this every day.

I think it is endemic. I've said this before, but every one of these videos have something in common. A "bad apple" does something that would mortify a normal human being, and the rest of the LE present either watches as if it is commonplace as grass, or they join in. Here's a classic example from right here Indiana. I'm sure there must be a thread excusing this guys behavior somewhere.

LUCIzoZ.gif

If you had to estimate how often police exhibit "bad" behavior, yearly, with a percent of their individual contacts with people, what would think it would be?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    If you had to estimate how often police exhibit "bad" behavior, yearly, with a percent of their individual contacts with people, what would think it would be?

50,000 good to each 1 bad

but that's a guess

just about 800,00 sworn LEOs in US

How many police officers are employed in the United States

so far we have talked about what 10 maybe 12 in the last few years

8 to 12 contacts a day average each

http://policelink.monster.com/topics/739-how-many-calls-andor-reports-per-day/posts

Last edited:

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    And in that same time frame, how many incidents just as egregious as those that made the media, but didn't have cell phone video, and so never made it past IAD? The world may never know.

I don't know, neither do you. So let's guesstimate ...... I say .5 percent. Prove me wrong.
    maybe you say 10 million, I can't prove you wrong either.

you can't make statements based on "how do we know it wouldn't be worse if"

you look at the info you have, not what you think, believe, guess what may be that is unseen.
    Reality, not supposition

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A quick search revealed that my last thread about cops was a positive one. Hah!

That's probably bee a stinging rebuke if I hadn't been too lazy to read it. What's it say?

Because of that, many departments are scraping the bottom of the barrel for recruits...

Nope. Departments that pay and have reasonable morale get hundreds to thousands of applicants per spot. Now if they actually hire "the best" as opposed to deciding things like "diversity", "that guy's daddy worked for us" or the like is sometimes debatable and probably beyond the scope of this thread.

I don't even know where to go with the body armor comment. I'm a pretty smart fellow per the testing. I'm pretty well trained by both the military and LE. I don't reckon any of that has made me bulletproof. Tactical vehicles has been addressed ad nauseum. Just out of curiosity, do you know how many of our local murders in Indy have been with an AR or AK style rifle? I do. I'm pretty glad our SWAT units and the like have access to armored vehicles.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    Stuff like this is why we need smarter police officers. Or better yet officers that aren't dumb.

Smart, intelligent and educated are extreeemely overrated these days, wisdom is where its at. A police officer without wisdom is just as capable of committing evil as anyone.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    The cops won't even get in trouble

Oh yes they will. Even if nothing happens locally or by the state, there are plenty of lawyers willing to take it up to the federal level. Those guys are hosed.

You'd think cops would realize that EVERYONE carries a video camera now, and that thousands of "news" outlets are more than willing to pay top dollar for such footage. I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't start filming EVERY incident, not matter how mundane, in the hopes something cash-worthy happens.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was Kut (I think) who mentioned that a cop sued for actions taken while on duty are pretty universally represented by the union rep and/or department counsel, which is paid for out of tax funds, so just being sued is no real threat to a cop, but that there was a (generally) pro forma process that had to take place first where the union/rank-and-file had to vote on whether or not the representation would be provided as common expense, or if the sued cop would have to pay for it out of pocket. So, if the collective agreed with the cop and his actions, then their defense was at no cost to them. It would only be if the collective thought the cop's actions were beyond the pail that being sued would actually hurt them as individuals.

The question, then, is whether the rank-and-file of that department can look at their fellows delivering nut-shot on boot-to-the-head to a prone suspect and say, "I want to pay for their legal defense out of my dues/taxes."

What do you think? What are the chances of those guy's getting a pass on their legal expenses from their brothers in blue?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It was Kut (I think) who mentioned that a cop sued for actions taken while on duty are pretty universally represented by the union rep and/or department counsel, which is paid for out of tax funds, so just being sued is no real threat to a cop, but that there was a (generally) pro forma process that had to take place first where the union/rank-and-file had to vote on whether or not the representation would be provided as common expense, or if the sued cop would have to pay for it out of pocket. So, if the collective agreed with the cop and his actions, then their defense was at no cost to them. It would only be if the collective thought the cop's actions were beyond the pail that being sued would actually hurt them as individuals.

The question, then, is whether the rank-and-file of that department can look at their fellows delivering nut-shot on boot-to-the-head to a prone suspect and say, "I want to pay for their legal defense out of my dues/taxes."

What do you think? What are the chances of those guy's getting a pass on their legal expenses from their brothers in blue?

Not exactly. I don't have to agree with your actions to recognize you are a member in good standing and the incident occurred on duty. It's not an endorsement of your actions. It's recognizing you have paid your dues and are in need of legal representation.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Not exactly. I don't have to agree with your actions to recognize you are a member in good standing and the incident occurred on duty. It's not an endorsement of your actions. It's recognizing you have paid your dues and are in need of legal representation.

Dishing out an ass whipping to a guy that has surrendered isn't in the scope of our employment and the members of our lodge can deny legal assistance if they so choose.

Top Bottom