• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    13 seconds (26 points) isn't that much to make up. it's hard to decide how to run the classifier...I never know if I need to run it flat out like I would a standard course of fire or work it with a different mindset trying to achieve the most favorable results for the classifier.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Why worry about it it means nothing really. Sure if you go to a sanctioned match it does but then again you will be shooting with other guys who either practiced it and can shoot the classifier well or guys who shoot the classifier poorly but are decent shooters. I see no big deal being a marksman or sharpshooter or expert for that matter. Just go out, play by the rules and shoot it like a regular stage.
    Does it effect the money you make? Does it effect the fun you have? Why stress it?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Mudcat- performing well gives me a foothold on the smack-talk that proceeds after a match. The better I do, the more smack-talk I can pour out. Thus, I need to do well:laugh:

Steve- Do you plan on having us shoot the classifier all in one bay or broken up across a couple of bays? Also, what's your ideas for the other COFs (regular courses, all steel??). Just wondering.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Why worry about it it means nothing really. Sure if you go to a sanctioned match it does but then again you will be shooting with other guys who either practiced it and can shoot the classifier well or guys who shoot the classifier poorly but are decent shooters. I see no big deal being a marksman or sharpshooter or expert for that matter. Just go out, play by the rules and shoot it like a regular stage.
    Does it effect the money you make? Does it effect the fun you have? Why stress it?

:laugh:

Tell that to Mudcat jr...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    :laugh:

Tell that to Mudcat jr...

I don't know because I haven't talked to him, but I think Jr will try to run the classifier in ESP. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. His SSP run wouldn't have made ESP Master, but his shooting wasn't typical Jr and we had just finished a 6 course match. I think he can do it with a fresh start, home range and no "mental errors":D

Will also be cool to see if Brad can get ESP Master. He can do it, but ESP is tough at the top.

I'm looking forward to it. I don't know what the hang-up is with the classifier, especially if it's ran as a match. It's a good test of skills, just like any other course, plus I don't have to conceal to do it:laugh:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Any of youse ever find something that seemed to really help improve your IDPA shooting?
    A particular thing to practice, a practice schedule, or a way to think when shooting or whatever?

PS. DustyDawg48 - If you get back to finding mojo from the donut place I will pay if you buy an extra.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Any of youse ever find something that seemed to really help improve your IDPA shooting?
    A particular thing to practice, a practice schedule, or a way to think when shooting or whatever?

PS. DustyDawg48 - If you get back to finding mojo from the donut place I will pay if you buy an extra.

Sadly I am off the donuts! LOL I do recommend a large Diet Mt Dew and a package of Grandma's Tactical Oatmeal cookies (2-pack) from the Circle S on the corner of Sharon Road though!

Ben generally gives me a hard time about being a Magpul fan,but I co-purchased with Brad (looney2ns) the video Magpul: The Art of the Dynamic Handgun and there is a wealth of information in there that translates from daily carry, to self defense to the competition world. It's talks about trigger control, grip, proper reloading techniques and firearm manipulation during any malfunction. The thing it does stress is dry fire practice. Practice trigger, draw, reload, sight picture and transition. Great GREAT stuff, I learn something new every time I watch it.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I would have to agree dryfire is the way to go. If improvement is your goal you will need reps, dryfire = cheap reps. Keep in mind though that split times and shot cadence are not possible... Sadly dryfire is not a end all practice method and ammo is $$.

If only I played the loto I would be sure to have tons of $$'s.:D

Parker

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld

I've shot 4 matches and a classifier in the last three weekends. I could see improvement in my accuracy and times by the last match I shot. I had my first "zero" down course last weekend and had another course that I was only down 3, it even had a swinger that I zero'd.

As I mentioned to you a couple weekends ago, I shoot steel challenge for the practice as well. I figure any time I can get behind the trigger is time well spent. Sure, you're not moving or shoot moving targets in steel challenge but you do get to draw from the holster and sight acquisition.

Dry firing is good practice as well. But one of the areas that I know I can make time up in is the draw and mag changes. I have practiced the draw, acquired my sites and then went straight to a mag change. I've practiced all three types of mag changes. For anyone that has watched Jr do a mag change, there is time to made there!!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    trigger - sight - transition.

Appreciate the advice from all.

You get these epiphonies during practice that sometimes seem good to hold onto and sometimes turn out to be chimeras (I'm practicing odd words that I don't really understand).

Seemed like I could shoot more accurately last time if I sort of inserted a mental step between sighting and pulling the trigger. Sort of aim-recognize-fire instead of aim-fire. Adding steps is bass ackwards to improving speed one would think, but maybe to get to where you can call your shots it is neccessary to have some sort of a recognition step twixt the ears?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Dry firing is good practice as well. But one of the areas that I know I can make time up in is the draw and mag changes. I have practiced the draw, acquired my sites and then went straight to a mag change. I've practiced all three types of mag changes. For anyone that has watched Jr do a mag change, there is time to made there!!

That will make or break you right there. The draw is important and so is the reload and very few people practice it. The great thing is that it costs nothing to practice the draw or the mag changes, it can be done at home while working on trigger control.

It may sound silly, but actually visualizing yourself doing something properly can help, too. If you think about the proper way to hold the gun during a reload and visualize yourself performing the reload it helps cement that technique in your mind and muscles when you actually start the physical practice of those techniques.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Appreciate the advice from all.

You get these epiphonies during practice that sometimes seem good to hold onto and sometimes turn out to be chimeras (I'm practicing odd words that I don't really understand).

Seemed like I could shoot more accurately last time if I sort of inserted a mental step between sighting and pulling the trigger. Sort of aim-recognize-fire instead of aim-fire. Adding steps is bass ackwards to improving speed one would think, but maybe to get to where you can call your shots it is neccessary to have some sort of a recognition step twixt the ears?

Speed is not the goal in competitions- score is. The precipice (see, now you've got me throwing out odd words) between speed and score comes when speed is detrimental to score. Scratch all of that- just do like Scott says "shoot as fast as you can accurately.":D

I am by no means a top level shooter, but these things seem to help me improve.

1.) Dryfire. I put small dots around the house or just aim at small things like the center of a fan and deliberately try to gain a good sight picture and keep the front sight still.

2.) Dryfire. Including draw, reloads (every kind). I practice with a vest on and off. Also, particularly for IDPA but sometimes helpful in USPSA, I'll pick a corner or door and practice slicing the pie while doing this. Throw in a few reps of shooting/reloading on the move, advancing and retreating.

3.) Dryfire with particular emphasis on "running" the gun with my eyes or "cutting" my eyes to the next target. This helps with target transition and acquisition.

3.) Rimfire. Even though I reload on the cheap because I cast, I find it helpful to run a lot of rimfire through my 617 and M&P22. All the fundamentals are still the same, but you're not burning centerfire to practice. Generally every other day (if not every day on match weeks).

4.) Centerfire. At least twice a week, 3 on match weeks, 25-100 rounds.

5.) Matches. Obviously, a good place to practice.

6.) Course visualization. I try, if possible, to run a course in my mind at least 10 times before LAMR. I want things to go as automatic as I can when the buzzer sounds off. I visualize it first person and third person.

7.) Seek Continual Improvement. This, to me, is key in all of life.

I could add more, but this is probably sufficient to give everyone a good laugh. :laugh::laugh:

ETA: OK, I'll add these anyway- hand strength and trigger finger strength. Personally, I practice these with my own guns. My 617 has a trigger that is fully 3lbs heavier than my 625- makes a nice little workout for the finger when practicing.

For specific drills and general technique and mindset advice, check out Brain Enos' book.

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

Here is one of the best things I heard while watching the Magpul training stuff and is one of the reason why I like them so much. They tell you that there isn't THE way to do something...they tell you there are WAYS to do things and you find your way that works the best and most efficiently for you...they call it the 95% rule...and you choose to do something that will work in 95% of all situation and that is what you stick with.

Some people are naturally accurate and others are naturally fast. You can't make a fast person slow down to get better hits...they will simply miss slower. You have to find what way works for you, that is an effective and efficient way of doing things, and then take what you do know and work towards a failure point...and then see what caused you to fail in your goal whether it was bad trigger control, poor grip, slow mag changes, etc and then work to correct that...always moving forward, always pushing yourself to the point where you fail and the reevaluate and push forward again...always growing.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    TJ, #6 is HUGE! Visualizing yourself doing anything, whether it is the proper technique for reloading or trigger press or draw... your mind is what you are training, the body will follow!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You know, I completely forgot a key part of my competition regime. If you truly want to perform at the very top.............................................

Find a division there is literally no one else in- ESR or SSR are great candidates:D

Top Bottom