• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Ben generally gives me a hard time about being a Magpul fan,but I co-purchased with Brad (looney2ns) the video Magpul: The Art of the Dynamic Handgun and there is a wealth of information in there that translates from daily carry, to self defense to the competition world. It's talks about trigger control, grip, proper reloading techniques and firearm manipulation during any malfunction. The thing it does stress is dry fire practice. Practice trigger, draw, reload, sight picture and transition. Great GREAT stuff, I learn something new every time I watch it.

Yep, I agree! Good stuff.

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Dry fire practice has helped me a ton. Especially mag change practice.
    When practicing you don't have to go for speed, just do it right each and every time. The speed will come.
    All it really takes is one or two 10 minute sessions every day or every other day.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Just got in from doing some practice while prone. Found out three things- 1.) it's hot here and it's going to be really hot Saturday. 2.) I'm glad I left the hammer spur on my 625, single action is sweet sweet when you're prone at 30 yards. And 3.) I should probably concern myself more with reloads prone than the shooting:D

I've never been in a bathroom that would allow a 5 yard shot anywhere, much less 30, but evidently it can happen- they wouldn't make an IDPA course up out of nothing. Practical baby:laugh:

Outhouse.:rockwoot:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    3.) Rimfire. Even though I reload on the cheap because I cast, I find it helpful to run a lot of rimfire through my 617 and M&P22. All the fundamentals are still the same, but you're not burning centerfire to practice. Generally every other day (if not every day on match weeks).

4.) Centerfire. At least twice a week, 3 on match weeks, 25-100 rounds.

Now you're gloating because you can walk out the back door and do all this. Not fair and its surely against IDPA rules, ASPCA rules, NBA rules or something. :ar15:
    No I'm not calling you Shirley.

ETA: OK, I'll add these anyway- hand strength and trigger finger strength. Personally, I practice these with my own guns. My 617 has a trigger that is fully 3lbs heavier than my 625- makes a nice little workout for the finger when practicing.

I have a 14lb (not really) Ruger GP100 I've started using for this sort of workout. It does help.

Good luck on the TN match!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Now you're gloating because you can walk out the back door and do all this. Not fair and its surely against IDPA rules, ASPCA rules, NBA rules or something. :ar15:
    No I'm not calling you Shirley.

I have a 14lb (not really) Ruger GP100 I've started using for this sort of workout. It does help.

Good luck on the TN match!

It is really nice to be able to walk 10 yards out the back door, set some targets up, and have at it. My advice for those who can't is: move to the country.:D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It is really nice to be able to walk 10 yards out the back door, set some targets up, and have at it. My advice for those who can't is: move to the country.:D

Reminds me, we need to have a 'shoot from rocking chair on porch' stage some time.
    Matt already had a 'friendly dog' 'zombie poodle' thing going a while back so if we can just get a prop chair we are golden.

The Tennessee thing just sounds way cool.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The Tennessee thing just sounds way cool.

It was:bacondance:

002-2.jpg

I'm asking for no phone calls as I expect S&W to want to talk about signing me anytime now:rofl:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Thanks everybody! The match was a great time- brutal in heat, brutal SOs, brutal COFs, but I guess I'm a sucker for that type of stuff cause I had a blast:D We ran 12 COFs with a round count at 216. My best runs were 3 18 round stages with 0 down. My worst run was a modified 3rd stage classifier. I was on deck when the guy in front of me was called, but he had to jet so the called me up. I hadn't filled up my moons and had 2. Buzzer rings, 6 on one side at 30 yards, reload, 6 on the other, reload....reload....NOPE out of ammo. Went down a swift 64 points on that one, but oddly enough pulled a score of 52 on it, which was better than I ran the classifier. I also managed to rake in 1 non-threat hit, 2 procedurals and 2 FTN. No one was more surprised than I was to see me at the top.:laugh:

I got to know one of the other ESR guys. He finished about 80 points behind me but he was really wanting the division win. As it turns out, if you finish first across your division you are out of the running for first in your class and the second place guy gets moved to first. So, he at least took home the first place SS trophy:D

Other interesting tidbits from the match:

Evidently Scott Hurt is legend enough to have guys talk about him clear down in TN. I overheard a conversation some guys were having about him, talking something about a major that he had to shoot one handed or something.

I was surprised, shocked really, at how much alcohol was at the match. One dude in my squad even had a flask in his pocket! I have a personal aversion to all things alcohol and I kept that in mind, but it just seemed really out of place. I don't believe anyone was sauced during the match, but a few of them better hope they didn't get stopped on the way home after the match. Sad, really.

This particular club holds 3 major matches a year, the next coming in August "The Summer Sizzler." I heard some rumors that they might turn it into a "Revolver Sizzler" to, get this, gain more attendants. If so, I'm on it :rockwoot:

ETA: Mike, just checked the IDPA database and I am still a SS. And I am very OK with that;)

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You realize, we are now expecting shock and awe at the classifier!!

Was hoping you'd share a little detail, you are now an "I've shot with a guy that" person.

I'm sure you will get it. The squad will be a buzz with murmurings of "are you really sure that guy is the TN champ????":laugh:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Way to go TJ. Well done.:rockwoot: Sounds like a fun match(other than the drinking:noway:).

Do you know how many shooters were at the match? Was there a good revolver turn out?

If IDPA is any thing like USPSA it takes a while to get the results into the system and get bumped into a different class.(if IDPA even does that)

CONGRATULATIONS:yesway::yesway::yesway:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You realize, we are now expecting shock and awe at the classifier!!

Was hoping you'd share a little detail, you are now an "I've shot with a guy that" person.

I think I'm going to try ESP in the classifier, which should be especially comical. I've ran nearly 1000 rounds of 45 through my 625 in the last month and that trigger pull will not translate well to a Apex M&P9 trigger:laugh: I might go SSR- don't know yet.

Congratulations TJ! That is pretty cool!

Thanks Steve!
    Way to go TJ. Well done.:rockwoot: Sounds like a fun match(other than the drinking:noway:).

Do you know how many shooters were at the match? Was there a good revolver turn out?

If IDPA is any thing like USPSA it takes a while to get the results into the system and get bumped into a different class.(if IDPA even does that)

CONGRATULATIONS:yesway::yesway::yesway:

Thanks Paul! I think there was about 9 revolvers shooting (which is HUGE for an IDPA match, even a major). As to shooters overall, I'm guessing somewhere around 125 or so.

In IDPA you get bumped right there on the spot. There were several bumps at this match. If memory serves, if there are 5 or more people in your class and you win 1st in class, you get bumped. Or, if you beat 5 in the class up from you, you get bumped (it's something like that). For me, there wasn't enough guys ahead of my classification nor in my class for it to matter. But, I'm really cool with it- I'm at peace with my mid-pack classification:D

Top Bottom