• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Go to the hardware store and buy some acetone (old-school nail polish remover). Peel off some laminate in select places (or all of it) with a razor blade. With some Q-tips, take enough swipes at any barcodes, making it un-scannable. The ink will come right off and it will just look like you have taken it in and out of your wallet a thousand times.

Order a backup driver's license (~$12) and keep that one in your safe until you use it to fly, vote, etc.

Seems like a lot of trouble to keep people from knowing that you buy booze. I mean, you wouldn't write a check to your dealer and put "For dope" in the memo line. (for those of you old enough to know what checks are. :):) Maybe a home brewery/distillery would be easier.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Seems like a lot of trouble to keep people from knowing that you buy booze. I mean, you wouldn't write a check to your dealer and put "For dope" in the memo line. (for those of you old enough to know what checks are. :):) Maybe a home brewery/distillery would be easier.

I'm with you, scanning my drivers license for booze is not, one of my real world problems. :dunno:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

I'm with you, scanning my drivers license for booze is not, one of my real world problems. :dunno:

The year... 2028

President Cortez, after a recent drunk-fueled mass shooting, has ruled that alcohol usage should be considered a "red flag" when it comes to owning firearms. Thanks to Former President Trump's 2022 "Red Flag" enactments... she has the authority to look into alcohol purchase history with the assistance of grocery store chains... and see if your purchasing habits are over the arbitrary amount, no questions asked.

Whelp, we have DoggyDaddy here... and we know he owns guns. Send the goons to his place.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The year... 2028

President Cortez, after a recent drunk-fueled mass shooting, has ruled that alcohol usage should be considered a "red flag" when it comes to owning firearms. Thanks to Former President Trump's 2022 "Red Flag" enactments... she has the authority to look into alcohol purchase history with the assistance of grocery store chains... and see if your purchasing habits are over the arbitrary amount, no questions asked.

Whelp, we have DoggyDaddy here... and we know he owns guns. Send the goons to his place.

You have a vivid imagination.

OmarR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Westfield

I personally don't care who scans my license. I am also in the "that ship has sailed" category as far as a digital footprint is concerned.

But for the people in this thread that do care and is important to them, its not a lot of trouble at all. 10 minutes on their workbench or kitchen table. Done.

Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Purchased a bottle of Maker’s at Kroger the other day. Cashier scanned my DL. Kind of felt like back in the day when RadioShack would ask for SSN at checkout.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You have a vivid imagination.

So did George Orwell, yet here we are in 2019 looking like the book 1984 was a how-to guide.

I personally don't care who scans my license. I am also in the "that ship has sailed" category as far as a digital footprint is concerned.

But for the people in this thread that do care and is important to them, its not a lot of trouble at all. 10 minutes on their workbench or kitchen table. Done.

or 15 seconds with a sheet of removable labels (or black target pasters).

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    So did George Orwell, yet here we are in 2019 looking like the book 1984 was a how-to guide.

or 15 seconds with a sheet of removable labels (or black target pasters).

I'm NOT letting KROGER OFF the Hook. I would Never buy at Kroger but the Wife does and I'm not silly enough to go Against the Wife's Shopping habits. I'm NOT surprised at the lack of non outrage of the Privacy Intrusion here. IF KROGER has a Store Policy, Enforce it Consistently or Not at All. Then I'll decide If you deserve my money. One store in particular has RUDE TSA trained under aged Cashiers who damn near Insist on a Pat Down and then they cannot ring up the Purchase. I will No Longer shop there. NONE of the Rude Cashiers Know the Law but Mimic a non existent Kroger Policy. KROGER CORPORATE says that this is NOT Kroger Policy. I do NOT mind giving My DOB but scanning the License is Over and Above. If the POLICE asked for Your License without PC or a very good Explanation, the Indignant Outrage here would be Thunderous but a HS age Cashier Demands it and You BEND OVER. NEVER a Problem at Sam's, or Wal-Mart. I'm no where close to 21 and way over the 40 Year Age Requirement.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Labels are more obvious and can be un-done. My way can't.

Labels work well for this level of privacy. The moment they try to peel it off you can tell them to stop or even snatch it back if necessary. I’ve only had to tell one cashier no, and she didn’t fight me on it. She seemed genuinely surprised it was there and thought it was a mistake and tried to remove the misplaced sticker for me.

And in the case where I needed legitimately to scan the barcode, I was able to quickly remove it. YMMV

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Wouldn't it just be easier to refrain from handing your license to the cashier? If they ask to see ID, hold it out for them to look at it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    just checking in to see if Chez was being Reasonable and Relevant yet ( or still, which I find it hard to believe he was ever either of those)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    When my grandson was like 3 (he's 17 now) he drew me a new ID card, and I have carried it in my wallet (!!!) ever since. I proudly display it when asked by cashiers that don't really need to see my real driver's license.
    Always good for starting a rant.

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I bought beer at Kroger (on a Sunday!) and don't even remember showing them my ID. Guess I look old or something :dunno:

Yup. You crusty ol' baxxxxx....

But maybe you don't look as old as I do.

One thing I fail to understand is why IN only sells COLD beer....

I live in Ohio and travel to IN from time to time to....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yup. You crusty ol' baxxxxx....

But maybe you don't look as old as I do.

One thing I fail to understand is why IN only sells COLD beer....

I live in Ohio and travel to IN from time to time to....

Do you mean NOT cold beer? Because its the opposite. Only liquor stores may sell cold beer. Everyone else (grocery, etc) it must be warm. Even more confusing is wine and wine coolers are A-OK to sell cold at a grocery.

We have been fighting for years for Sunday sales and cold beer everywhere and we ended up with alcohol on Sundays BUT only from noon to 8. The liquor lobby is pretty powerful in this state and they are able to protect their members pretty well.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe our letters have made an impact, who knows.

Went to Kroger today, went through self-checkout. Same guy as before, I brought up to him the whole "scanning ID" thing. He said it's nonsense. I mentioned the cashiers saying they absolutely must do it... he said no, they don't.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Maybe our letters have made an impact, who knows.

Went to Kroger today, went through self-checkout. Same guy as before, I brought up to him the whole "scanning ID" thing. He said it's nonsense. I mentioned the cashiers saying they absolutely must do it... he said no, they don't.
    Crisis averted.

Top Bottom