• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not that I'm in favor of scanning driver's licenses to purchase alcohol, I'm not. Just thought I'd leave a reminder of one corporation that stood by the rights of Gun Owners back in 2015 against the anti-gun demands of Mom's Demand Action. Yes, it was Kroger. And now that Cameramonkey clarified that the actual store policy is either to scan OR type in the DOB, I think I'd still Kroger and simply decline the scan when purchasing alcohol.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...-demand-actions-push-to-disarm-our-customers/

:yesway:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Since the local store has never tried to scan my license, and by using the card I've saved over a grand this year and I've used the card for a few years (that's some guns and ammo right there) and they support my right to carry...in a world where the .gov already has my info, DNA, iris scans, fingerprints...I guess I'll support Kroger. Also, buy 6 bottles of booze and get 10% off :rockwoot:and I regularly get 50c per gallon or more off of gas at their pumps. :rockwoot:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I have related this before, but it is worth repeating in this context. My wife and I recently went on a trip, and we were looking at hotels to stay at along the way. I was on my computer looking at Google Maps to decide which hotels were located convenient to where we wanted to stop for the night. My wife was on her computer to make the reservation since she gets better deals due to her frequent business travels.

The instant she made the reservation, my Google Maps suddenly showed that I was staying at that particular hotel on that particular night. The one and only thing that linked us together was that we both have the credit card she used. I am not listed on her hotel club membership, I was not named on the reservation she made, nothing else. The credit card alone was enough to link me to the reservation in Google Maps in real time.

Example 2: My wife and I recently went on another trip to Europe. I called one of my credit card companies to let them know I would be traveling and to ask them to add a note to my file. It wasn't necessary. They already knew everywhere I was going to be and when I was traveling. This was in spite of the fact that I hadn't actually used this particular credit card to make any reservations. It didn't matter, buy anything with one, and they all know it the instant it happens.

Example 3: I frequently grocery shop at Meijer, and pay with a credit card. I routinely get coupons in the mail from them for the items that I purchase the most. These are coupons specifically tailored to the things I actually buy, not just random stuff. I am not a member of their club or anything, the credit card alone does the trick.

If you use a credit card on any purchase, you have given up far more info than is on your driver's license.

Hmm.... I never have this issue. I'm partly off the grid I guess a this doesn't happen to us.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also spoke with the store manager. He assured me this was a “miscommunication” between one of his assistants And the front line manager and promised to clarify the corporate position with all relevant associates and stop the practice immediately. I assume they will still scan if the customer doesn’t care but will accept just typing in the number if they do. Still not a fan of scanning at all, but I understand why they try. (Speed through economy of scale)

ill give them them another shot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Also spoke with the store manager. He assured me this was a “miscommunication” between one of his assistants And the front line manager and promised to clarify the corporate position with all relevant associates and stop the practice immediately. I assume they will still scan if the customer doesn’t care but will accept just typing in the number if they do. Still not a fan of scanning at all, but I understand why they try. (Speed through economy of scale)

ill give them them another shot.

Reasonable response from them and from you. Well played!

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They're only interested in how often the holder of that license buys pseudoephedrine. Cookers are really good customers

Realistically they would only need to link DL# to the purchase date(s) and it is likely a state program, so if they want info on a particular license holder they can get it
    Right, but does the POS machine actually verify that the info scanned is valid or could one simply alter the info in the code and the scan monkeys wouldn't have a clue thus defeating the purpose of the entire process.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Right, but does the POS machine actually verify that the info scanned is valid or could one simply alter the info in the code and the scan monkeys wouldn't have a clue thus defeating the purpose of the entire process.

This assumes that cookers ever actually bought pseudoephedrine. I would be willing to lay a sizable bet that most of it was either stolen off the shelf or fell off the back of a truck.

It is also my understanding that our crackdown on local meth production has opened a market for imported meth.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not that I'm in favor of scanning driver's licenses to purchase alcohol, I'm not. Just thought I'd leave a reminder of one corporation that stood by the rights of Gun Owners back in 2015 against the anti-gun demands of Mom's Demand Action. Yes, it was Kroger. And now that Cameramonkey clarified that the actual store policy is either to scan OR type in the DOB, I think I'd still shop at Kroger and simply decline the scan when purchasing alcohol.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...-demand-actions-push-to-disarm-our-customers/

:yesway:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This assumes that cookers ever actually bought pseudoephedrine. I would be willing to lay a sizable bet that most of it was either stolen off the shelf or fell off the back of a truck.

It is also my understanding that our crackdown on local meth production has opened a market for imported meth.

https://www.fireengineering.com/art...1/features/response-to-one-pot-meth-labs.html
    Response to "One-Pot" Meth Labs

https://www.nydailynews.com/life-st...-meth-drug-laws-no-dangerous-article-1.397428
    New 'shake-and-bake' method for making crystal meth gets around drug laws but is no less dangerous

But now drug users are making their own meth in small batches using a faster, cheaper and much simpler method with ingredients that can be carried in a knapsack and mixed on the run. The "shake-and-bake" approach has become popular because it requires a relatively small number of pills of the decongestant pseudoephedrine — an amount easily obtained under even the toughest anti-meth laws that have been adopted across the nation to restrict large purchases of some cold medication.

The do-it-yourself method creates just enough meth for a few hits, allowing users to make their own doses instead of buying mass-produced drugs from a dealer.
    "It simplified the process so much that everybody's making their own dope," said Kevin Williams, sheriff of Marion County, Ala., about 80 miles west of Birmingham. "It can be your next-door neighbor doing it. It can be one of your family members living downstairs in the basement."
    A typical meth lab would normally take days to generate a full-size batch of meth, which would require a heat source and dozens, maybe hundreds, of boxes of cold pills.
    But because the new method uses far less pseudoephedrine, small-time users are able to make the drug in spite of a federal law that bars customers from buying more than 9 grams — roughly 300 pills — a month.

"Killing themselves to live"

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    300 pills a month? That's the limit? Holy ****! What kind of cold requires 10 pills a day? Well...maybe if everyone in your house had a cold and you were the only one who could go to the store.

More evidence of the free market in action. Innovation breaking through barriers!

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    300 pills a month? That's the limit? Holy ****! What kind of cold requires 10 pills a day? Well...maybe if everyone in your house had a cold and you were the only one who could go to the store.

More evidence of the free market in action. Innovation breaking through barriers!
    Interesting, i was told i could only buy 48. I'll have to be more persistent next time. A family of cold victims can easily go through that at 2x pills every 4-6 hours.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Here is what I got back today from Kroger customer service:

From: CustomerService@kroger.com [mailto:CustomerService@kroger.com]
    Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2019 5:59 PM
    To: xyz
    Subject: Response from Kroger Family of Stores (#31526172)

Dear Mr. xyz,

Thank you for contacting Kroger Customer Connect.
    I am sorry to read that you have to show ID when making alcohol purchases. Due to state law, each cashier has to scan the back of the state issued ID. The data is not stored in our systems at all. This is done to reduce the number of typos when entering the date of births and to speed up checkout processes as well. If you do not feel comfortable with the cashiers scanning the back of the ID then you can request to have the cashier enter the date of birth manually instead. We can not change the policy that is required by state law. I do apologize for any inconvenience on this.

Please feel free to reply to this email or call us at 1-800-576-4377 and reference case number 31526172 should you have further questions or concerns. We appreciate hearing from our valued customers and will assist in any way possible.

Thank you for shopping with us and have a great day.

Sincerely,

Michael
    Kroger Customer Connect
    The Kroger Family of Stores

And I replied:

Hi Michael,
    Would you please direct me to the Indiana state statute that says cashiers have to scan my id? I am a member of an Indiana forum that has had this discussion about Kroger and I cannot find anyone that agrees with you.
    Thank you for the “manual” suggestion. They have done that in the past but all I got last night was NO.

Sincerely,
    xxx

Now I will wait and see for a second email. I also will take a copy of the email with me next time. I am also considering taking any liquor item to the cashier every time I shop and if they pull this again I will let them keep it to put away. We shall see...

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    They're only interested in how often the holder of that license buys pseudoephedrine. Cookers are really good customers

Realistically they would only need to link DL# to the purchase date(s) and it is likely a state program, so if they want info on a particular license holder they can get it

Years ago I used to be able to buh those in bulk without difficulty. Then all of a sudden they needed to limit the quality and put my DL in their system. This was in Illinois. I thought it was just a bogus Walgreens policy until our hospital pharmacy (where I worked) started the same. I questioned it and was told that they were controlling the product and monitored via DL. Moved to Indiana last year, same policy here.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Michael from Kroger is lying.
    It's my understanding that state law says to card anybody who looks younger than 40.
    And nothing says it must be scanned.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Michael from Kroger is lying.
    It's my understanding that state law says to card anybody who looks younger than 40.
    And nothing says it must be scanned.

Yes. Doesnt even say it must be entered in. The entry is a CYA to prove they checked and to theoretically force the check vs the cashier telling the manager "yes, I check everyone" even when they dont.

Saying "its the law" seems to be the thing the cool kids do to shut up the ignorant masses that dare to push back. "Oh, he said its the law, so I need to stop pushing him because he didnt make the decision and it is not his decision. They have no choice, its not their fault. Its THE MAN causing the problems."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bloomington IN. Kroger south (KroCountry, in local speak)

Call corporate and ask to speak to an executive manager (513) 762-4000. Dont call the customer service line and following the prompts because they are just peon message takers and cant actually solve any problems that arent in their book of scripts/answers. (I lost my Plus card, My fuel rewards arent being applied, etc) you have to call the corporate switchboard and ask to talk to an executive team member due to a bad store experience.

When I did that I had the local store manager on the phone with me within an hour apologizing and correcting their actions. Still waiting for the cashiers to stop being butthurt, but in time... LOL

And it will dramatically speed up the resolution with the first folks you were dealing with if you send THEM a copy of the appropriate excise laws and ask them where in the language it says "scan". Asking them to look it up and show you is too much work. You have to actually open the book to the appropriate page and hand it to them to be really effective. (otherwise they wont look it up and try to deflect more)

Top Bottom