• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock17 Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    N. Manchester
    What if people in Fort Wayne started carrying rifles instead? No license needed for that, so no reason to detain and check. Exercising your rights is NOT reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.

Right?

How about we all get together this summer and do that? I'd be up for that... I hate a**holes with badges (as opposed to most cops), and think this would open their eyes to what might happen if they don't stop hassling people.

If it will help I'll get my mini 14 or the M1 garand and come.:patriot:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    So you think leaving would be a good idea if you thought the person called it in saying you was "brandishing it and pointing it at people"? I'm thinking you take off it's going to make you look like you've got something to hide. Just me but if I'm not there to defend myself then who knows what the first officer on scene is going to here. So when they get your vehicle's description and track you down they are going to think the worse or at least I would if I was LEO.

What I would do if I was in that situation, if opportunity allowed I would call 911 first if it looks like they are going to get called anyways. That way I could explain what exactly is going on. If I couldn't call first I would go back in the store buy a 40oz Mountain Dew and a Slim Jim, sit on the curb, wait, and just hope I get the LEO who isn't a Die Hard fan and knows the gun laws.

OP I'm sorry you had to go through this. I'm a OCer and I've always had proffessional run ins with LEO's. Alot of times it makes a good converstation between us.

I leave the area when thing's start to go south, if someone is mad about me having a gun then who know's if he will got get some buddies and come back to confront me again? In leaving it defuses the situation, the cop's show and I am gone, if they got my plate number and show up to my house I will tell them that they were upset about me having a gun so I left to defuse the situation and would be happy to look at the security tape with them.

If the cop's say that I should have stayed when they said they would call the cop's then well........... people say they will call the cop's all the time buy how many really do?

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I leave the area when thing's start to go south, if someone is mad about me having a gun then who know's if he will got get some buddies and come back to confront me again? In leaving it defuses the situation, the cop's show and I am gone, if they got my plate number and show up to my house I will tell them that they were upset about me having a gun so I left to defuse the situation and would be happy to look at the security tape with them.

If the cop's say that I should have stayed when they said they would call the cop's then well........... people say they will call the cop's all the time buy how many really do?

Sorry misread your post. I thought you were meaning as the guy was dialing 911 you were gonna scat. I completely agree with you. Sometimes people approach out of curiosity and then you have the few who are just out to stir the waters. I can usually tell which on just how they approach, which determines on how much I'll entertain them.

:cheers:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Maybe you should make a youtube video telling your story, might put some pressure on FWPD if enough people see it and see that your a average guy standing up for his rights, heck you might even get some donations for legal fees.

What ever happens. I respect you standing up for your rights.

I like this idea. Take it viral. Follow these clowns around in public with a camera, asking them questions, get a non OCer to hold the camera, of course :):

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I posted this over on Fort Wayne Police Department. Let's see if moderation lets it through.

"Not advisable?"
    Any true freedom loving American doesn't need his rights under "advisement" by anyone.

Some people will always be scared of something. That is 100% their own problem. Some are afraid of black people, should black people stay inside, or be "advised" to wear makeup to cover their skin?

Open carry is the true expression of support of the 2A. It is our God-given right to be armed for self-defense. Open carry is a deterrent to crime, and this country would be better off if we didn't limit our own freedoms based on the whims and opinions of others who care nothing for them.

redsuperduty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    New Paris - Northern
    Today I was in the office at my body shop talking guns with a friend.
    I had my 45 auto laying on the desk when a paint salesman walked in, he said ''Hey, did you hear about the guy in Ft. Wayne that the cops harrassed about carrying a gun?'' I said, ''yep, sure did.....
    I thought you might like to know the story thats on the street from a non gun guy like my paint salesman - (You got harrassed by the cops).
    Good luck, Tim.

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    I would like to know whatever happened to the art of assessing a situation before going into action. When the police came on scene, didn't they bother to assess the situation before going in "guns blazing"? If they did, maybe they would have seen that yes, a person was openly carrying a handgun, and no, it wasn't out of its holster being brandished in any manner.

Officers, exit your vehicle with your hand on your sidearm, but don't draw it. Ask questions: Do you have an LTCH? May I see it with your picture ID? Please keep your hand away from handgun (ok, technically not a question).

See that? A little good old fashioned police work and this would have gone down so differently.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Like I said, I would be asking to watch/listen to the dash cam video of what went down with the chief and now that I think about it having IA there also..... the longer you wait though the easier thing's get "lost".

People can get fired up all they want on here but the best thing to do is take action rather then talking about it. Having a meeting with the cheif is good, but watching the video with him is another....... then filing a complaint.

Sorry misread your post. I thought you were meaning as the guy was dialing 911 you were gonna scat. I completely agree with you. Sometimes people approach out of curiosity and then you have the few who are just out to stir the waters. I can usually tell which on just how they approach, which determines on how much I'll entertain them.

:cheers:

Yeah if someone is calling 911 I will gladly stand their and wait with them....... :D

LAZY DOG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    SOUNDS LIKE THOSE OFFICERS NEED TO BE EDUCATED, INSTEAD OF BEING SO EGER FOR A FIGHT. I BET THEY WERE YOUNG AND ARROGANT \.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    *WoW*

Wow, I caught the end of Pat White yesterday and wanted to know more about what happened. 2hrs of reading through this thread and I am puzzled.

- Two of the cops acted improperly - period (If event is as described)

** Just a thought that came into my mind, I actually had the cops called on me for brandishing a handgun once. It was about 2 years before I even owned one. It was pure and simple harassment by a neighbor who thought it was funny. The County Mounty did not. He came speeding (120mph) in, vest attached, and hand on weapon. He was professional and all, but scared. He was told someone was threating children with a handgun. He asked to search the car, permission was given and no gun was found. IN discussions with him, I explained that the neighbor thought it funny to call the cops on us.

I had no ill will towards the cop at all, he was fine and explained to me his actions, of which I totally understood.

So I therefore asked if I could file a false complaint etc. He explained I could but this was a small town and it was not the first time they had been called. It was HIS first time to respond.

Anyhow giving him the benefit of doubt, I was not angry with him at all. He was not with me either.

Outcome, I let it go, it was not worth it at the time. But it did NOT stop there.

The next time it was reported that I had 'taken a crap' in their garage. The police were called again. I did not find that one funny, especially after it was 2 weeks after the call that I found out about the call. I was the "Happy Crapper" for awhile.

The next call was REAL, the wife threatened my child with death. I stood in the street calling her husband out and of course he did not come but called the cops. In this case I was not amused in the slightest. Here is where it gets weird, the deputy walked me around my house to the backside and told me to get the man in my yard and have him hit me, so I could then beat the crap out of him. At this point the police realized where the problem was, it was not me....

The last incident occurred when the neighbors got a proxy to whip my ass. He lost, broken nose and all. The results from the police? They asked ME if I wanted to press charges. The proxy admitted he started it and would stay away so I did not press charges (Later actually we became civil with each other). The neighbors moved away and the problems stopped. Go figure.

Moral of the story, the cop was called about a gun, he did not know details, but came prepared for the worst. As the statement of the call above states the cops did not know 'what' was amiss. Did they act poorly? Yes. Are they to be held responsible for their actions? I would like more details first.

I am maddest at the 'good' cops who just stood there and said nothing to their counterparts. Their silence in the matter is the most alarming to me.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I have thought about calling the department myself and just asking if anything is being done to make sure this does not happen again. Of course not telling them Im from this site. Curious as to if they have a official statement yet.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Sorry buddy your wrong. i have the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty unless the officer witnesses for himself, me committing a crime, or has sufficent witnesses to give him probable cause to believe i did. the act of carrying a gun if your lisenced is not illegal, so the first and only rthing the officer has the right to open his mouth and say to me is: can i see your LTCH?" thats it. he dont need to be asking for my drivers license or any other questions, cause if he does hes not getting an answer. they dont have the right to know where youve been or why you went there, or ask you to walk a strait line on your hands, etc. the only purpose those questions are for is for him to build a case against you!!! dont forget it. you are innocent in the beginning and they know it, so as long as you dont open your big mouth and give them probably cause for something else like ilegal spitting on the ground then you are going home that night. i cant believe all the people (criminals) on the show COPS that i see who if they would have kept their mouth shut would have never went to jail.

SIMPLE BREAKDOWN: The ONLY reason a cop ask you questions is to build a case to hand over to a prosecuter, end of story. KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT!!!

Tell you what-You get asked for your permit by a LEO responding to a call, refuse to provide an ID, stand there not talking and see how that works out for you.

Keeping your mouth shut as you say works good for the criminal element. For the law abiding with nothing to hide,bad advice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Tell you what-You get asked for your permit by a LEO responding to a call, refuse to provide an ID, stand there not talking and see how that works out for you.

Keeping your mouth shut as you say works good for the criminal element. For the law abiding with nothing to hide,bad advice.

But it is a constitutional right to not speak.

Yes you are required to show proof of ID if the police ask for it, but if forced to talk more you are being violated of your constitutional rights.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    All you have to do is state your enacting your Miranda Rights nothing really the can do from there, take you to jail maybe? Nope on charges of what? If you are not in the act of a criminal offense of have been caught in the act there isnt a thing they can really do.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have thought about calling the department myself and just asking if anything is being done to make sure this does not happen again. Of course not telling them Im from this site. Curious as to if they have a official statement yet.

There is allway's two side's to a story so I would not pass judgement just yet........ I think calling/e-mailing asking if they have an offical statement regading that incedent would not hurt though.

Top Bottom