• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    have had lots of absences at work and I've had to pick up the slack. Guys i am being very honest with all of you and not lying. I have told the truth and if you don't believe or think i may be lying then fine thats your opinion....Would you like to talk to my wife? Shes still spooked.

I have asked and via a 'proxy' this was basically how it went down except for some details that I can not prove but make sense anyway.

To start State Police Trump County Mounties Trump City Police...

Remember this,

The first two officers did not want to hear the law, when the next two FWPD officers arrived they DID know the law but the first two started to get indecisive. They called a supervisor in. A county mounty heard about and also stopped by and he KNEW the law. The first two FWPD officers REFUSED to give the gun and License back UNTIL their supervisor got there. At this point the radio was ALIVE with this thing and a State Boy arrived and basically took control. The State boy supposedly handed the OP his weapon, his DL, and his LTCH back to him and sent him on his way.

:This is what I heard happened via someone who heard it go down via the radio.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have asked and via a 'proxy' this was basically how it went down except for some details that I can not prove but make sense anyway.

Remember this,

The first two officers did not want to hear the law, when the next two FWPD officers arrived they DID know the law but the first two started to get indecisive. They called a supervisor in. A county mounty heard about and also stopped by and he KNEW the law. The first two FWPD officers REFUSED to give the gun and License back UNTIL their supervisor got there. At this point the radio was ALIVE with this thing and a State Boy arrived and basically took control. The State boy supposedly handed the OP his weapon, his DL, and his LTCH back to him and sent him on his way.

I doubt many know that if you feel thing's are not being handles correctly you can tell the officer that you would like his or her supervisor to come out and they will........

I saw it happen in person with something that went down year's ago (some customers of a palce I used to work out accused me of stealing the ladies purse........ while the cop's were talking to me they found out her credit card's were being used about 15 miles away.........).

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    ive also heard that you can call out a state trooper if you feel the local police or county mounties arent handling things right, is this true? hopefully i would never need this option because i do believe the majority of police are good, so id hope by the time i talked to a supervisor (if needed) my concerns would be gone.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have never noticed anyone ever open carrying in my life.......... ever haha.

I will admit though that if I saw more doing it that I myself would feel more comfortable with open carrying once I get around to getting my LTCH....

By all means, if you would like to walk around with me in my daily chores out and about you're more than welcome to witness first hand the complete lack of attention I get. I go to the gas stations, walmart, TSC, bank, and various other places. I get no attention 99.999% of the time. Especially from local LE.

ive also heard that you can call out a state trooper if you feel the local police or county mounties arent handling things right, is this true? hopefully i would never need this option because i do believe the majority of police are good, so id hope by the time i talked to a supervisor (if needed) my concerns would be gone.

Yes, you can ask a state trooper be called to the scene. I've done it, I DON'T recommend it. Just trust me. Unless the supervisor is just as wrong as the officers and you can PROVE it, just let it be and let the courts deal with it. :twocents:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    By all means, if you would like to walk around with me in my daily chores out and about you're more than welcome to witness first hand the complete lack of attention I get. I go to the gas stations, walmart, TSC, bank, and various other places. I get no attention 99.999% of the time. Especially from local LE.

Yes, you can ask a state trooper be called to the scene. I've done it, I DON'T recommend it. Just trust me. Unless the supervisor is just as wrong as the officers and you can PROVE it, just let it be and let the courts deal with it. :twocents:

Im sure it is just an issue, just find it funny that I have never seen someone OC haha.

Yeah from what I have seen the Supervisor's are pretty level headed.... but then I have yet to really have a run in with a cop that was having a bad day. When the one got called out with the situation I was in they wanted the COP for IMPD to be called out, everyone got a good laugh (smile) at that..... then they wanted a dectective called out and they were told that a detective would not come out for a stolen purse because they are out investingating murder's and what not.

birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    I applaud the officers who acted professional, to the ones who werent, well that just shows the maturity of some of the Ft. Wayne PD-and they should not represent our city-nor be allowed to wear a badge.

:yesway:

I agree it would be good to comment on the friendlyness of the "professional" officers, but if they did not stop the others, they are as much at fault as the officers abusing the individual's rights!

If the tables were turned, you would by association, be as guilty as the ones commiting the crime!

I would get in touch with the NRA on this for sure.

MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana

Remember this,

This is what I know and what I was taught in the academy years ago. We really don't have a trump card system in place. I know we have had citizens call county and state to complain about our service. The response they have been given in the past is they need to deal with the agency that covers their jurisdiction. Now im not saying that State Police will not come, it just depends on how persitant the caller is and if we have a conflict of interest. If the Trooper does come to the scene he does not assume a supervisory role in the situation and often tells the person the same thing we already did.

Every sworn officer in the state of Indiana has state wide jursidiction unless your agency states otherwise in sop's. I have stopped cars in other counties and issued tickets. It is a huge hassle with having to contact someone from that county to use a citation from their ticket book. Our criminal law instructor taught us this as far as who has the most arrest power. We were told to figure it out :yesway:

State Police = enforce state law
    County Police = enforce state law, county ordinances
    City,Town = enforce state law, county ordinances, and local ordinances

We do often ask county or state to investigate a case that involves one of our own from time to time to avoid people saying we are covering for each other. But none of us are above each other and believe me I have witnessed pissing matches with state, county, and local officers threatening to arrest each other and tow squads... :draw:. It is very entertaining when it happens.

Now this is what i know from when I was last on the street. Ive been shining a seat in the bureau for the past 4 years and laws do constantly change.. :patriot:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    True - I just heard that the State Cop, settled it and it was a State Permit per se...

The way I took it was he was able to calm a situation and determine the proper course. I get the feeling the FWPD guys did not know the law as well as they should. It supposedly was a very 'big' deal when it happened. The state cop was not called in, he just overheard it and was near.....so I was told.

BTW, my experience with the Police of all types in NE Indiana has always been a pleasant one..

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    True - I just heard that the State Cop, settled it and it was a State Permit per se...

The way I took it was he was able to calm a situation and determine the proper course. I get the feeling the FWPD guys did not know the law as well as they should. It supposedly was a very 'big' deal when it happened. The state cop was not called in, he just overheard it and was near.....so I was told.

BTW, my experience with the Police of all types in NE Indiana has always been a pleasant one..

Kinda makes me wish I had a police scanner. I'm pretty sure that a few INGOers have one, for example I think alxjmrk does. That'd be interesting to monitor now and then.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Kinda makes me wish I had a police scanner. I'm pretty sure that a few INGOers have one, for example I think alxjmrk does. That'd be interesting to monitor now and then.

About 5 years back the Fort Wayne Police switched to trunked band system for their radios. A radio system that changes frequcency 8 times a second. A standard scanner will NOT pick up FWPD. There are scanners that will pick up the trunked band system but your going to pay a few hundred dollars for one. If you goto THE ABOITE INDEPENDENT >>>> and click on the scanner link on the left hand side of the page, you can listen in for free over a PC or iPod/iPhone. You will have to install a Windows Media player plug-in if you don't already have it installed.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Our radios had the capability of being scrambled to prevent folks from listening in. Problem was, in that mode they did a pretty good job of making sure WE couldn't hear anything either, at least with the radios we had.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    A little cooperation can put you in jail. Let me tell you what happened to me when I cooperated once upon a time, about 21 years ago.

I was pulled over after leaving a bar. I hadn't been drinking, and passed the FSTs. The officer asked if I had any guns, drugs or atomic bombs in my car. Keep in mind, this was in California. I said no. He asked if I minded if he take a quick look. I had nothing to hide, so I said, "sure, go ahead." When he got to my trunk, he found my toolbox with a bunch of tools in it. I had filed one of my screwdrivers down to use as a valve cover gasket scraper. It worked really well for that. Without a single question, he arrested me for "possession of burglary tools." I was shocked and amazed. I went to jail. I sat there overnight until my dad was able to bail me out.

I showed up for my court date, intending to plead not guilty, only to find out that they withdrew the charge. I thought... Sweet. I'm done with this stupid BS. So I went back to the police station to retrieve my tools, which they had confiscated. They refused to return them to me without an order from a judge. So I went back to court, and put myself on the afternoon docket.

The judge was pissed at me for wasting his time, and told me he couldn't release my property because it wasn't seized pursuant to a search warrant. So I went back to the police station. This time they told me they wouldn't release them because they MIGHT decide to charge me some day.

So I called a lawyer friend of my dad (the guy who instructed me to plead not guilty, but couldn't make it in to court that day due to another trial he had to go to). After a whole truckload of phone calls and letters, they finally released my tools. I went to pick them up, and half of them were missing.

Fast forward 10 years. I'd moved here to Indiana, and got a job as a securities broker. The firm ran my background check, and guess what shows up? An arrest 10 years prior for "possession of burglary tools." Now... have fun getting a job as a broker with something involving the world "burglary" on your background check.

I had to fly out to California, on my own dime, to obtain paperwork showing the disposition of that case. I went to the courthouse, and they didn't have anything. They sent me to the police station. I went to the police station, and they didn't have anything, and sent me back to the courthouse, who then sent me to the SHERIFF'S station. Now... the sheriff's station was in the same building as the police station, shared the same front desk, and had the same person standing there when I got there. They told me I had to go to the OTHER sheriff's station, the main one in the county seat. By now it was the end of the day and I was going to miss my flight back in the morning because this wasn't taken care of.

Next day.

When I got to the other sheriff's station, I had to wait in line for about 3 hours while people registered their assault weapons. When I finally got up to the desk and explained what I needed, with the file number, etc., they said they didn't have anything after not even checking. So I called my lawyer right in front of the girl, and asked him to refer me to somebody good in Calif. because I was going to sue the Ventura County Sheriff's department for ruining my career by putting bogus crap on my record and then refusing to provide any documents showing it was bogus. 30 seconds later, the girl somehow miraculously produced the documents I needed. Amazing. And after all that, being a day late back to the job got me a written warning and probationary status. One more unapproved absence and I was out. There's nothing like starting a job with things like that in your personnel file.

This arrest cost me a lot of time, a lot of money, and a lot of aggravation, and almost cost me my career. I beat the charge, but I almost lost everything later on.

Long story short... don't ever answer questions, don't ever consent to searches. Even if you've got nothing to hide. You have nothing to gain by cooperating, and everything to lose. I learned this the hard way. And this is why I've got several statutes printed out, and I carry them with me. I read that statute later, that I was initially charged under, and came to find out the officer, in order to charge me with it, had to have specific knowledge of a crime that I had either committed, or was about to commit, using those specific tools. They dropped the charge because he didn't have that knowledge. This is what makes me absolutely detest when officers blather on about the law when they're wrong. In hindsight, I should have sued them into oblivion, because who knows how many other people got hosed like me, after me.

The same goes for if you want to be hired at a department... watch what you voluntarily tell a dept. I don't condone outright lying about stuff in your past, but I've heard of guys cuffed and carried out for stuff that they voluntarily gave up... some of the charges seemed somewhat trivial to me.

Goes to show you that LE is quickly becoming almost gestapo like in some areas. I loved the dept. I worked with and there are a lot of great cops, but I tell my friends and family to not give up voluntary info. or okay a search of a vehicle if asked. When I did traffic, I wouldn't ask that question b/c I didn't find it ethical to do so seeing as I knew they were protected from it.

LE has to operate on the edge sometimes to keep up with the bad guys, but good judgement always needs to be exercised also.

fight the good fight, SV.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not in Indy. They rarely leave the Interstates and we rarely leave the City streets. With their "performance standards" they don't have much time to do anything other than writing tickets. We all enforce the same laws, one does not trump the other. One does not have more "arrest powers" than the other. The only difference is that ISP can enforce federal trucking laws and we can enforce city codes. ISP will transfer calls about us TO us and vise versa.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Not in Indy. We all enforce the same laws, one does not trump the other. One does not have more "arrest powers" than the other.

I don't know the answer but that is not the impression I had of how this happened.As posted earlier, it must be a jurisdiction issue and since the 'permit' was ISP, they took control of the incident.

I would like to know if this is truly what happened. As I said this was 2nd hand but the original source was FWPD.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Not in Indy. They rarely leave the Interstates and we rarely leave the City streets. With their "performance standards" they don't have much time to do anything other than writing tickets. We all enforce the same laws, one does not trump the other. One does not have more "arrest powers" than the other. The only difference is that ISP can enforce federal trucking laws and we can enforce city codes. ISP will transfer calls about us TO us and vise versa.

I thought ISP could pull you over and ticket you off-duty but IMPD couldn't?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I thought ISP could pull you over and ticket you off-duty but IMPD couldn't?

Any police officer in Indiana can pull you over and ticket you, as long as they meet one of two criteria. The officer has to either be in a fully marked car that is easily recognizable as a police car by the general public, or they can be in an unmarked car but have to wear a full police uniform that is easily recognizable as a police uniform by the general public. That is only to enforce the traffic code. If you are being stopped for an investigation of a crime that isn't in the traffic code, such as public intoxication or theft, there is no requirement for uniforms or vehicles.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Any police officer in Indiana can pull you over and ticket you, as long as they meet one of two criteria. The officer has to either be in a fully marked car that is easily recognizable as a police car by the general public, or they can be in an unmarked car but have to wear a full police uniform that is easily recognizable as a police uniform by the general public. That is only to enforce the traffic code. If you are being stopped for an investigation of a crime that isn't in the traffic code, such as public intoxication or theft, there is no requirement for uniforms or vehicles.

So if you pull me over in your patrol car, but in jeans and an ACDC shirt, you can still ticket me? I wouldn't accept the ticket until a uniformed officer was called to the scene. No offense.

Top Bottom