• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How do you guard against that.

You build a better mousetrap. Maybe a better light, maybe a better holster, maybe go with a handheld light until something is figured out?

This is not the first time this has happened.

Lodi Police Chief Mark Helms addresses gun concerns - Lodinews.com: News

From the 2013 story:
    ...You’ve looked into whether these accidental discharges have occurred in other departments that use the same holster. What have your findings been?
    Since this has occurred, we have found that this is not an incident that’s been isolated to Lodi. This has happened elsewhere all over the country. We have received inquiries, phone calls, emails from other agencies that have experienced similar incidents and have asked us questions so they could avoid it, too, or to let us know the findings of their own reviews. It has happened with agencies that have used the identical model holster and similar model holsters that allow greater access to the trigger...

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You build a better mousetrap. Maybe a better light, maybe a better holster, maybe go with a handheld light until something is figured out?

This is not the first time this has happened.

:rolleyes:

I suppose you don't plan to travel in a vehicle ever again as there hasn't been one designed or built which is 100% impervious to accidents. Better go back to riding a horse, stop using electricity and never eat anything you didn't grow or raise and kill yourself as well.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Well, just because I want to Denny your Denny of a Denny, a sizable portion of the department is plain clothes, admin, UC, etc. and does not wear the duty belt and there's some old timers (err...sorry, seasoned officers) who still use the old style holster. It's probably closer to 1.5 million. So nyah.

That's still better odds than Lloyd got so excited about and he was only given one in a million.

[video=youtube;KX5jNnDMfxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA&list=RDKX5jNnDMfxA&sns=em[/video]

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That is 5 peace officers that I know of with bullet holes from ND's with glock duty equipment. I was present for one, but they have all been well publicised. I knew a City of Chicago patrolman who died from a revolver, but he did himself when he found out he had cancer.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The Clintons when in the White House, wanted cops to carry empty guns. Just Stupid.
    Some other idiot on the left recently started suggesting it again, although I don't remember who.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Clearly we should ban all weapon mounted lights. It's the only solution.

Something like the Safariland 7390 holster and Surefire XC-1 compact WML allows you to both have a weapon mounted light and have a fully covered trigger...but of course it isn't as bright as some of it's bigger brothers (200 lumen vs 600) There's always a trade off.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Something like the Safariland 7390 holster and Surefire XC-1 compact WML allows you to both have a weapon mounted light and have a fully covered trigger...but of course it isn't as bright as some of it's bigger brothers (200 lumen vs 600) There's always a trade off.

Unfortunately they aren't as easily activated either. I'm an admitted Surefire fan boy but I was disappointed in the XC-1. It's better than nothing but I don't consider them to be a good option. Hopefully they'll make some improvements to them.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Unfortunately they aren't as easily activated either. I'm an admitted Surefire fan boy but I was disappointed in the XC-1. It's better than nothing but I don't consider them to be a good option. Hopefully they'll make some improvements to them.

And the mounting system sucks too in my opinion. Or at least early ones did. Like Daniel Defense mount screws. If I'm paying that much for a light or a mount then they can afford better screws
    Another surefire fan here too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

It may not be Surefire who does it, but someone will keep pushing the limits until we see super tiny WML that produce huge amounts of light. Whether or not they will be accepted by the LEO community? Probably not until Surefire and Streamlight catch up.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It may not be Surefire who does it, but someone will keep pushing the limits until we see super tiny WML that produce huge amounts of light. Whether or not they will be accepted by the LEO community? Probably not until Surefire and Streamlight catch up.

Oh, I'm sure. The tech gets better and smaller every year.

I *think* the 7000 holsters have a narrowing opening/higher sides than the 6000 as well. No idea if it would be enough of a difference to have prevented this incident.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh, I'm sure. The tech gets better and smaller every year.

I *think* the 7000 holsters have a narrowing opening/higher sides than the 6000 as well. No idea if it would be enough of a difference to have prevented this incident.

We made need to rethink the paradigm given the geometry constraints. Virtually all "serious" holsters are essentially buckets into which a the gun is inserted and withdrawn from the top. It would be worth looking at other concepts that cover the trigger guard, but the gun is inserted/withdrawn from the front. Think the kind of race holsters used in USPSA/IPSC. That idea could be extended to something that secures the gun. In fact, Surefire has a holster along the same lines.

Surefire Masterfire Holster

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    We made need to rethink the paradigm given the geometry constraints. Virtually all "serious" holsters are essentially buckets into which a the gun is inserted and withdrawn from the top. It would be worth looking at other concepts that cover the trigger guard, but the gun is inserted/withdrawn from the front. Think the kind of race holsters used in USPSA/IPSC. That idea could be extended to something that secures the gun. In fact, Surefire has a holster along the same lines.

Surefire Masterfire Holster
    Looks like that would solve the problem. I do not see any drawbacks to this design, does anyone else?

Top Bottom