• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, not looking negligent...looking intentional.

Mohamed Noor reached over and shot Justine Damond, 40, multiple times from the passenger seat of his squad car while she spoke to his colleague on the drivers side in a back alley behind her upscale Minneapolis home.

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    Nobody will shoot a person who is just talking to his companion. He is mad, or there are other facts and reasons which they don't disclose. But his professionalism is under the lowest level anyway.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Multiple shots. There's something more to this than sitting there, calm conversation, then BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. There's something not being said yet.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Mad or perhaps featured in the next episode of American Jihadi.

Even this makes less and less sense.

Let's say this guy was some sort of sleeper. Why in the name of all that's f'd up would he off this woman with other officers RIGHT THERE. I mean, as an LEO, he'd have all the info and expertise (if he were any good at it) to go full Dexter/Jon Burge on his enemies surreptitiously.

Seriously, if this guy were Undercover Jihadi, he'd actually be worse at that than being a police officer. Ostensibly, he's probably made some "good" arrests in his time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Let's say this guy was some sort of sleeper. Why in the name of all that's f'd up would he off this woman with other officers RIGHT THERE. I mean, as an LEO, he'd have all the info and expertise (if he were any good at it) to go full Dexter/Jon Burge on his enemies surreptitiously...

Most ineffective use of a sleeper cell ever.

"OK, Mohamed, what I'm going to need you to do is lay low for about 20 years, become a cop, then, when the time is right, in front of another cop, shoot an Australian immigrant of no particular import. Don't harm the infidel cop. Just one victim. Make sure she's in her jammies. Allah will be eternally pleased."

Good plan.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I've seen this pointed out already, and i fail to see the significance/connection. Correlation does not prove causation. This incident makes absolutely no sense as a closet-jihadi coming-out party.

As for why he shot her: the only thing that I've seen mentioned thus far is that she was holding a cell phone in her hand. Could he have reasonably (or otherwise) thought/feared that her cell phone was a gun or other weapon? (Cue the story of the officer in NYC who recently was executed point-blank by someone who approached her while she sat in her patrol car?)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Family, city want answers after officer fatally shoots 911 caller - StarTribune.com

Local reporting that the corner listed the cause of death as a GSW to the abdomen.

Yep. Abdomen.

My first thought is that she might've been standing at the door, and maybe didn't even see the shot coming. IMHO, makes it less likely that she - for whatever reason - might've been attacking the officer driving the car. (Which, if we're allowing for any possibility, would've been on the list.)

ETA:
    The partner/driver also apparently only had been an officer for a year. So, basically had 2 n00bs in the car. That doesn't sound like a great idea. The agencies I'm familiar with have Field Training Officers that have good experience - like, I think at least 5 years maybe even more.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Interesting side discussion about "should I call the police?" Its funny, because some of our LEOs bring up, "should I go to a doctor?" The answer is the same for both. Probably not unless you really need to. Both can save your life but contact with both increases your risk of accidental injury or death. Everything in life is a risk benefit ratio. The most adamant people I know that say to avoid unnecessary medical attention or LEO encounters are, wait for it, doctors and LEOs. On the other hand when you need them, you accept the additional risk in hopes that the benefit will outweigh it.

Amen to that. My dad did everything in his power to avoid other doctors as a patient (until he couldn't), even back in the day when no doctor or hospital would even think of charging a colleague for services.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only way we're ever going to know what really happened is if the shooter tells the story completely and truthfully.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Lack of Police Bodycam Video in Minneapolis Shooting Astounds Experts

The department's policy states that a body camera should be turned on for situations as minimal as traffic stops and for incidents as serious as use of force as long as it is safe to do so. The policy also states that if cameras are not turned on before an incident use of force, they should be turned on afterward.

Lack of Police Bodycam Video in Minneapolis Shooting Astounds Experts - NBC News

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, in practice, I'm not sure the "turn this on now" criteria were met, based on available information.

Its nice to have a policy that says the cameras should be on prior to an officer using deadly force. It would be REALLY nice if that were always possible. But its not. The victim does not appear (based on available information) to have been doing anything illegal. So, if they are still in the car, nothing illegal happening, then there's no reason to turn on the camera.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    I think it's possible that the body cams are activated by lights, and/or sirens, and not running continuously.

SD cards are dirt cheap now... even the civilian dash-cam models run continuously and record 4 - 6 hours on an average 32 gig card before it begins to reloop. Drop a 128 gig card in and you've got a whole shift plus.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    SD cards are dirt cheap now... even the civilian dash-cam models run continuously and record 4 - 6 hours on an average 32 gig card before it begins to reloop. Drop a 128 gig card in and you've got a whole shift plus.

Relooping destroys "evidence". Every card must be uploaded and stored or "evidence" is destroyed. It doesn't matter nothing happened during a shift, it'll be a "cover up" if the footage isn't uploaded. Same as it's now "evidence" the cameras weren't on while sitting in a car.

https://www.policeone.com/police-pr...olice-body-cameras-big-costs-loom-in-storage/

[FONT=&amp]ST. PAUL, Minn. — The rush to outfit police officers with body cameras after last summer's unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, threatens to saddle local governments with steep costs for managing the volumes of footage they must keep for months or even years, according to contracts, invoices and company data reviewed by The Associated Press.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The storage expenses — running into the millions of dollars in some cities — often go overlooked in the debates over using cameras as a way to hold officers accountable and to improve community relations.[/FONT]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Relooping destroys "evidence". Every card must be uploaded and stored or "evidence" is destroyed. It doesn't matter nothing happened during a shift, it'll be a "cover up" if the footage isn't uploaded. Same as it's now "evidence" the cameras weren't on while sitting in a car.

https://www.policeone.com/police-pr...olice-body-cameras-big-costs-loom-in-storage/

[FONT=&amp]ST. PAUL, Minn. — The rush to outfit police officers with body cameras after last summer's unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, threatens to saddle local governments with steep costs for managing the volumes of footage they must keep for months or even years, according to contracts, invoices and company data reviewed by The Associated Press.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The storage expenses — running into the millions of dollars in some cities — often go overlooked in the debates over using cameras as a way to hold officers accountable and to improve community relations.[/FONT]

The naive among us may say: "well if you have an uneventful shift, just re-use the card."

Sometimes an uneventful shift will be described quite differently by a mope in the tort claims notice about 180 days later and in the civil complaint 2 years later.

Then there's this:

Spoliation consists of “[t]he intentional destruction, mutilation, alteration, or concealment of evidence, usually a document. If proved, spoliation may be used to establish that the evidence was unfavorable to the party responsible.” Black's Law Dictionary 1409 (7th ed.1999). “In Indiana, the exclusive possession of facts or evidence by a party, coupled with the suppression of the facts or evidence by that party, may result in an inference that the production of the evidence would be against the interest of the party which suppresses it.”
    Cahoon v. Cummings, 734 N.E.2d 535, 545 (Ind. 2000)

You are storing every recording on every shift for a long, long time.

Top Bottom