• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah I was there. Was eating at a sidewalk table when a bunch of school kids ran by in uniform laughing. About 10s later a homeless appearing guy was hobbling after them yelling and swinging a chain.

watched a lady keep falling on the beach because she was too drunk to stand. Our VRBO was a bait and switch and they never told us they switched rooms and we got a non-beach view and a non-working hottub. Took me three days to get my money back.

the only thing that impressed me about Miami was this one place called the Naked Taco or something like that. Mmmm...

I was there for a conference once, and then another time on vacation.

Both times, I left thinking, "I really don't understand what the big deal is."

Of course, I was a married with kids on both occasions, too. Had I been young, single, wealthy, and good looking (or any 3 of the 4), then I might've understood the appeal a bit more.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yes it’s home of the pretty young people. And Zika :runaway:

if you’re into vices and debauchery probably a great place. Poor al gore was scarred when he saw fish swimming in the street at high tide thanks to global warming

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut may be many things (to many people), but slamming someone just for "not towing the line" isn't like him.

Heck, he doesn't often "tow the line" himself, IMHO. ;)

Rather, I wonder if people are attributing to him a belief that he doesn't have, only because they expect him (Kut) to have that belief.

Printcraft was 100% right. But, it's not about "towing the line." I don't expect that from anyone.... but I do expect people to have some self respect for themselves. It should hard for a POC to support a person who has repeatedly shown his disdain for other POC.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Printcraft was 100% right. But, it's not about "towing the line." I don't expect that from anyone.... but I do expect people to have some self respect for themselves. It should hard for a POC to support a person who has repeatedly shown his disdain for other POC.

Well thanks.

Please cite specific examples to support your position.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Ok. I get that. I like to think it is hard for non-POC people to support Trump. For instance, Christians and people with integrity should find it hard to support Trump because he has repeatedly shown disdain for both of those groups!

But, that doesn't clear up the reference to me. If anything, if it is a minstrelsy reference, it doesn't make sense.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am amused by the concept and use of "POC" as if everyone who is not "white" is a part of some sort of monolith of multi-hued humanity, marching in lockstep with the same world view and opinions as all of the others in the hive mind. It's ridiculous.

And in my world, POC = Point of Contact, not "people of color." Or "colour" for those among us from the British Empire.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Printcraft was 100% right. But....

Heart-attack.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok. I get that. I like to think it is hard for non-POC people to support Trump. For instance, Christians and people with integrity should find it hard to support Trump because he has repeatedly shown disdain for both of those groups!

But, that doesn't clear up the reference to me. If anything, if it is a minstrelsy reference, it doesn't make sense.

It's a minstrel reference. It's the notion of presenting oneself in the least threatening way, approaching buffoonery, to be accepted. Diamond and Silk being the Gold Standard of the idea today. It's a real thing, and most black people have done it. Proving how much you aren't like what other people think black people are.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am amused by the concept and use of "POC" as if everyone who is not "white" is a part of some sort of monolith of multi-hued humanity, marching in lockstep with the same world view and opinions as all of the others in the hive mind. It's ridiculous.

And in my world, POC = Point of Contact, not "people of color." Or "colour" for those among us from the British Empire.

Obviously, not ALL POC. Plenty still will show you all their teeth.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It's a minstrel reference. It's the notion of presenting oneself in the least threatening way, approaching buffoonery, to be accepted. Diamond and Silk being the Gold Standard of the idea today. It's a real thing, and most black people have done it. Proving how much you aren't like what other people think black people are.

Ok. That still doesn't make sense for this guy.

I mean, Trump's been described as many things, but "non-threatening" is not one. Wearing MAGA gear, in Miami, as you note, carries with it a certain... challenge. It seems like that gear, in that environment is begging to NOT be accepted.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok. That still doesn't make sense for this guy.

I mean, Trump's been described as many things, but "non-threatening" is not one. Wearing MAGA gear, in Miami, as you note, carries with it a certain... challenge. It seems like that gear, in that environment is begging to NOT be accepted.

Not Trump, the guy wearing the hat. I thought about the situation pretty in-depth before I posted it. I wondered it this was situation was staged, on purpose. It didn't make sense. So I put myself in his situation. First, if I was going to a restaurant, I wouldn't be wearing a baseball cap indoors. So, my first inclination was that he was trying to get a response... then I discovered that he was with his girlfriend and her family... and I immediately had a good idea why he wore the hat.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not Trump, the guy wearing the hat. I thought about the situation pretty in-depth before I posted it. I wondered it this was situation was staged, on purpose. It didn't make sense. So I put myself in his situation. First, if I was going to a restaurant, I wouldn't be wearing a baseball cap indoors. So, my first inclination was that he was trying to get a response... then I discovered that he was with his girlfriend and her family... and I immediately had a good idea why he wore the hat.

So do you think he is actually a Trump supporter, or do you think it was just for show?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The guy was mistreated. There's no defense for what occurred to him. However, wearing MAGA hat in Miami... whew, that's probably not going to end well.

That's Jungle mentality. Jungle mentality is immoral. No law-abiding person acting lawfully should kowtow or cower to the threat of unlawful action of others.

As far as my personal thoughts on the individual. It baffles me that an educated POC would ever support a person who has routinely shown his disdain for POC.

Does that apply to the Democrat party's treatment of POC as a voting bloc, while driving the communities of POC into the ground for over half a century? Of specific Democrat politicians who have been in charge of specific US cities, where the communities and livelihoods of POC have been completely destroyed?

Or does that only apply to Trump, who was never considered to be "racist" until the day he made a certain descent on an escalator in 2015?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    cheese.jpg

Here he is with his girlfriend. Don't know if she's a POC or not, she looks vaguely Hispanic or something. Therefore, I have no idea how she thinks. :):

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yeah I was there. Was eating at a sidewalk table when a bunch of school kids ran by in uniform laughing. About 10s later a homeless appearing guy was hobbling after them yelling and swinging a chain.

watched a lady keep falling on the beach because she was too drunk to stand. Our VRBO was a bait and switch and they never told us they switched rooms and we got a non-beach view and a non-working hottub. Took me three days to get my money back.

the only thing that impressed me about Miami was this one place called the Naked Taco or something like that. Mmmm...

Naked Taco Miami

well I shouldn’t say that. Every uber driver was cool and had a neat story about their lives

The PortMiami cruise port is nice. Our hotel stays before and after cruises have been nice - but I credit that to Marriott.

Ironically, I've had most of my biggest problems with ride share drivers. I had multiple rides dropped, multiple times, trying to get from MIA to the hotel, from the hotel to the cruise port, and back - and in one case, I watched the driver go right by me/us, and then I got charged $5 (later credited back) for not being at the pickup location. I'm not very impressed with ride sharing in Miami, thus far. But, the drivers that did eventually take our fare were incredibly friendly, and made for some interesting discussions during the ride.

Miami is not monolithic, though. There are great, non-bigoted people there, including conservatives - especially the Cuban constituency.

Top Bottom