• ...and so much more!
  • goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    How so? As you push the pistol into the holster it would have still engaged the trigger.

The point here is it is a worn out holster. Not because it's a glock or anything else.

On a side note I was taught to ride my thumb on the hammer as you re-holster a da/sa gun. That will tell you if you have anything caught in the trigger guard while you put it in the holster.

As well do I when I holster my XD for that very reason. Knowing your equipment is critical to safely operating it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fellers, (and a few wimmins), y'all are directing your disdain in the wrong direction.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Glock design. Might not be for everyone...

This could just as easily happened with SEVERAL different makes/models of firearms.

The issue here is that the HOLSTER was/is crap.

A poster on the linked site nailed it. "I don't know why people spend $1000-$2000 on a pistol and then carry it in a $20 holster". Granted, a G19 had better not cost $1000 anywhere but Don's Guns and/or Don's Guns East (shop formerly known as Pop Guns).

Personally, I'll also hazard this hypothesis: Given this guy's dress, physique, and choice of holster, a discharge like this could also easily happen with an XD.

For it does not take much force at all for the grip safety to be depressed...say by a cover garment. Or by love handles. Or a sad combination of a CHEAP holster, cover garment, love handles, and the act of twisting/turning in a vehicle seat to put on a seat belt.

The lesson learned from this? Don't by cheap holsters. And if you have to for financial reasons, inspect them often and be prepared to buy another cheap holster within a year of regular/daily carry.

-J-

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Chuck Norris carried a Taurus PT92 in the exact same holster, for "Walker, Texas Ranger"... the PT92 has a thumb safety.

PT92stainless.jpg

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The way I see it... any safety that allows you to pull (or force) the trigger when it's ON, isn't very safe.

The Glock has three integral safeties. 1) a trigger safety 2) a firing pin safety 3) a drop safety. The only way the gun will fire is if the trigger is pulled completely to the rear (while engaging the trigger safety). There is no external safety switch on these pistols.

I was told that you want your holster to keep its shape if the pistol is in the holster or not. That way you can reholster one handed. Any holster whose mouth will collapse when the pistol is removed is not used by me.

FYI, had the holster applied pressure to the side of the trigger, instead of the middle, the trigger safety would not have been actuated and the pistol would not have fired. How many times do you think that this situation happened before the leather actually tripped the safety?

PeaShooter

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    The Glock has three integral safeties. 1) a trigger safety 2) a firing pin safety 3) a drop safety. The only way the gun will fire is if the trigger is pulled completely to the rear (while engaging the trigger safety). There is no external safety switch on these pistols.

I was told that you want your holster to keep its shape if the pistol is in the holster or not. That way you can reholster one handed. Any holster whose mouth will collapse when the pistol is removed is not used by me.

FYI, had the holster applied pressure to the side of the trigger, instead of the middle, the trigger safety would not have been actuated and the pistol would not have fired. How many times do you think that this situation happened before the leather actually tripped the safety?

You'll get no argument from me that the holster was faulty... you'll also NOT change my opinion that the GLOCK was as well.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    One of the sites discussing this article pointed out that it appears to be a left handed holster, worn right handed.. so it was worn inside the belt. Not sure if this would add to the problem, but with that shallow of a holster, I am thinking it might...

I was wrong, it is a Right Hand holster, and IS supposed to be inside the belt..

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

It also is not a "cheap" holster at $65.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yep, bad combo. Poor holster choice for a gun with only a trigger safety. A revolver would have also been a bad choice.

Crappy holster carry (is that CHP?) seems to dictate a manual safety. Trigger-only external safeties seem to dictate a QUALITY holster that protects the trigger, and care when re-holstering.

Also a great example of why I don't have a Smart Carry!

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Frankly, I wouldnt dream of carrying this way with a Glock. But thats just me. I like the "CLICK" of a manual safety protecting my nads.

:yesway: Muscle memory has me sweeping that area on every handgun I handle even if it doesn't have a thumb safety. I too like the "CLICK" of a manual safety protecting my nads.

You should start a club..."The Clique of the Click of a manual safety protecting your nads." :D I'll be member #2.

Sorry...it's quarter past midnight and I'm loopy....oh yeah, good thread too!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    very eye-opening and informative...Thanks OP

I just want to make INGO to be safe as each incident makes us (collectively) look bad.

Holsters and clothing can cause incidents. It can happen to any of us and we all need gentle reminders (or boots applied to certain areas).:D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    :yesway: Muscle memory has me sweeping that area on every handgun I handle even if it doesn't have a thumb safety. I too like the "CLICK" of a manual safety protecting my nads.

You should start a club..."The Clique of the Click of a manual safety protecting your nads." :D I'll be member #2.

Sorry...it's quarter past midnight and I'm loopy....oh yeah, good thread too!

I used to feel that way too, until I took an 8 hour Handgun course using a pistol with a manual safety.. :n00b:

Observations:
    Even after hours of practice, I still occasionally "missed" the safety, imagine that in a real world situation

Thumb blisters are painful

My brain and finger are the only "manual" safety I need
    ---

I decided I want my firearm to be ready to go when I need it, no racking, no flicking off the safety, just... point, pull trigger, bang.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Boy, I wonder how I have managed to stay alive all of these years carrying a Glock and/or M&P appendix IWB. Of course that is with a baseball cap only at the range and not usually a misnamed "Van Dyke".

Oh, I know, because I use a good holster, reholster slowly, and keep my finger off the trigger.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    You'll get no argument from me that the holster was faulty... you'll also NOT change my opinion that the GLOCK was as well.

As others have stated the Glock was not at fault, it fired because the holster was worn out and fold inward depressing the trigger safety causing it to fire. This was not a AD from a design or other defect in the firearm.
    It was a ND due to the fact the man in question failed to maintain his equipment in proper working condition including his holster!
    Holster selection is very important with all firearms but paramount with the Glock,M&P, XD or any striker fired weapon that uses a trigger safety.

The most important thing to learn from all this is that holsters have a finite life span and exceeding that is dangerous. A quality leather holster used EDC should be replaced at the first sign of getting soft enough to lose it shape when empty!
    You opinion is yours to have even though incorrect. There are millions of us who carry Glock's Daly that don't have these problems. This is only the second ND I have seen documented (there may be others) with holstering a Glock, the other was a LEO re-holstering on duty and the draw string slide catch of his jacket was in his holster and depressed the trigger safety and pulled the trigger as he forced the weapon into the holster.
    I can not understand how either did not feel the additional rest stance and continued to force the weapon home into the holster.

Plain and simple it was not the weapons fault nor technically the holster at fault, the fault lies solely upon the person for not keeping his gear in acceptable condition! There is far more to firearm safety than handling the weapon!
    Wwwildthing, I am not attacking or bashing your opinion at all, just pointing out it's fallacy in it's placing blame on a particular weapon as this would have occurred with an M&P, XD or any number of pistols regarded as top notch pistols by the "experts".

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    As others have stated the Glock was not at fault, it fired because the holster was worn out and fold inward depressing the trigger safety causing it to fire. This was not a AD from a design or other defect in the firearm.
    It was a ND due to the fact the man in question failed to maintain his equipment in proper working condition including his holster!
    Holster selection is very important with all firearms but paramount with the Glock,M&P, XD or any striker fired weapon that uses a trigger safety.

The most important thing to learn from all this is that holsters have a finite life span and exceeding that is dangerous. A quality leather holster used EDC should be replaced at the first sign of getting soft enough to lose it shape when empty!
    You opinion is yours to have even though incorrect. There are millions of us who carry Glock's Daly that don't have these problems. This is only the second ND I have seen documented (there may be others) with holstering a Glock, the other was a LEO re-holstering on duty and the draw string slide catch of his jacket was in his holster and depressed the trigger safety and pulled the trigger as he forced the weapon into the holster.
    I can not understand how either did not feel the additional rest stance and continued to force the weapon home into the holster.

Plain and simple it was not the weapons fault nor technically the holster at fault, the fault lies solely upon the person for not keeping his gear in acceptable condition! There is far more to firearm safety than handling the weapon!

Wwwildthing, I am not attacking or bashing your opinion at all, just pointing out it's fallacy in it's placing blame on a particular weapon as this would have occurred with an M&P, XD or any number of pistols regarded as top notch pistols by the "experts".

The first time I showed a Glock to my son, he asked... "where's the safety?". When I explained "Glock Perfection" to him (using photos from their website), he came back to the same conclusion "that gun has no safety". When told of this thread, his response was... "I knew it".

He's 29 next month.

My point being... not everyone who grew up in the "Age of Glock"... sees it as a safe weapon. Some of you actually have a brain and can think for yourselves. I say "good for you".

You are right - that this 'could' have happened to ANY of the guns you named - but ONLY because of poor design, in both the holster AND the weapon... a gun with a 'proper safety' would have never discharged.

That's my opinion and you can drive a nail in it.

Top Bottom