Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I notice you also didn't answer your own questions, or those of anyone else.

I'm also waiting to find out (not from you) how we secure weapons/car keys from teenagers, and how that'll be enforced.

Unless you put everything of value in the safe every night and never share the combo or emergency key locations you will not secure anything from a dedicated teen.
    Some kids are just on a mission regardless of intervention.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I hid things from my parents. I was eventually found out...

For the most part, I never got caught.:shady:

I'm in my mid 40s, and still don't want my mom to know all the stuff I did as a teen. She'd give me a retroactive wooden spoon beating.:crying:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the most part, I never got caught.:shady:

I'm in my mid 40s, and still don't want my mom to know all the stuff I did as a teen. She'd give me a retroactive wooden spoon beating.:crying:

My parents have both passed. Many secrets were not shared.

That is some of whats changed. We knew full well what was right and wrong. We still slipped into the "Wrong" on occasion. We feared being caught.
    Many many many kids these days have no fear of consequences. None.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...That is some of whats changed. We knew full well what was right and wrong. We still slipped into the "Wrong" on occasion. We feared being caught.
    Many many many kids these days have no fear of consequences. None.

And far to many parents don't give two ****'s anyways.

I can't tell you how many parents I know, who are around my age, that carry on like they're still kids. Apparently, 45 is the new 21.:rolleyes:

They are too wrapped up in their own drama to give any thought to what their teens are doing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And far to many parents don't give two ****'s anyways.

I can't tell you how many parents I know, who are around my age, that carry on like they're still kids. Apparently, 45 is the new 21.:rolleyes:

They are too wrapped up in their own drama to give any thought to what their teens are doing.

And this is the basis for so many of our social issues.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Unless you put everything of value in the safe every night and never share the combo or emergency key locations you will not secure anything from a dedicated teen.
    Some kids are just on a mission regardless of intervention.

My wife was parroting the standard line about the parents being responsible with their guns and sharing the blame. Our boys (West Middle Schoolers BTW) were sitting right there.

I said "Do you really think your sons couldn't get in the safes if they wanted to?"

She looked at them. They had stupid grins on their faces.

They're too smart. They've probable watched me put in the combination. They know every code we use. They know where to look for keys. The safes really aren't meant for them. I trust them. Now we have everyone telling us we can't trust our teens...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The shooters parents certainly "trusted" him, at least to the degree we're talking here.

Are we back to this is "nobody's" fault? :dunno:

Oh, maybe it's the gun's fault...

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I know it's not my fault, so the "gun confiscation as a solution" groups have no reason to want me not to have guns.

Our justice system is designed to be reactive, do something wrong, get punished for it. The idea of taking guns away from those who don't break laws might be considered proactive, but it's really just punishing the innocent.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I can’t give you answers I don’t have. I’m just pointing out that it’s a very complex issue.

It's not complex. Still need the details which may sadly be lost until some kind of juvenile charges are filed. At 13 he should have a long hard road ahead. thankfully nobody died. unfortunately a 13 yr. old girl has a very long hard road too, and my thoughts and prayers are for her and Mr. Seamon. Some information coming forth would benefit everyone. Everyone involved in this has gotten punished already. Sad thing, so close to home.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are we back to this is "nobody's" fault? :dunno:

Can't it just be the fault of the 13 year old kid?

That's why these school shootings continue to happen, in greater frequency. And why the anti-gun crowd continues to gain ground, especially in the hearts and minds of the next generation.

As long as we continue to hold no one in authority of or witnessing the mentally deranged accountable for allowing/enabling then school shootings will get more and more common.

Where will the next school shooting happen? Your kid's or grandkid's school? Maybe Noblesville again?

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville

As long as we continue to hold no one witnessing the mentally deranged accountable for allowing/enabling then school shootings will get more and more common.

Unlike the cases where a teen posts pictures on social media with guns or makes an overt threat against the school or fellow students, exactly what trigger mechanism are you looking for? What behavior indicates to you that violence is imminent?

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel

That's why these school shootings continue to happen, in greater frequency. And why the anti-gun crowd continues to gain ground, especially in the hearts and minds of the next generation.

As long as we continue to hold no one witnessing the mentally deranged accountable for allowing/enabling then school shootings will get more and more common.

Where will the next school shooting happen? Your kid's or grandkid's school? Maybe Noblesville again?

Sorry, until we harden schools this can happen and possibly happen again. My grand-daughter goes to school in Hamilton Co. very close to that middle school!

No amount of laws on the book can stop this. However, since school buses still are not equipped with seat belts it may be a long time until elected officials

pony-up funds to secure and harden our schools.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Unlike the cases where a teen posts pictures on social media with guns or makes an overt threat against the school or fellow students, exactly what trigger mechanism are you looking for? What behavior indicates to you that violence is imminent?

We cannot know in this case due to the shooter and all associated being "protected" by the shooter's young age.

In most other cases the failure to stop a known threat by those surrounding and in authority are glaring.

There is absolutely no doubt that this shooter should NOT have had access to the guns he used.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The easiest understatement ever with the benefit of hindsight. Now try to make that determination from the left of bang.

I'm sorry this happened in your child's school.

Early teens and often older teens lack maturity to make critical life changing decisions. That is why they have guardians and people of authority supervising them.

When we start holding the people in charge of supervising our youth responsible for the harmful actions of those youths, these school shootings will end.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I'm sorry this happened in your child's school.

Early teens and often older teens lack maturity to make critical life changing decisions. That is why they have guardians and people of authority supervising them.

When we start holding the people in charge of supervising our youth responsible for the harmful actions of those youths, these school shootings will end.

Holding a parent or guardian responsible for the actions of minors has been addressed in contract law and such so that everyone involved can take steps to

successfully deal with minors

;however, criminal actions and school shootings by a 13 year old Will Not Stop by holding parents or guardians responsible.

No laws, which transfer criminal or civil penalties will stop teens and only make the tragedy worse.

All such transfers do is make the "must do something" proponents feel good.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... criminal actions and school shootings by a 13 year old Will Not Stop by holding parents or guardians responsible.

No laws, which transfer criminal or civil penalties will stop teens and only make the tragedy worse...

Yet, recent history shows the opposite. :dunno:

These people and all associated NOT being held accountable have substantially increased school shootings.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom