• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will you be at the 2A rally on February 8th?

• Total voters

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Comparing what I am saying about trying to win in the court of public opinion and not have gun owners made out by the media to look a little nuts as how they will portray carrying rifles in front of the state house or by giving people who are unfamiliar with the law heart attacks by carrying long guns in front of the state house to what the Nazis did by making the Jewish people wear stars to make sure all know who they are or by people making Ms. rosa Parks sit in the back of the bus is just plain silly. I take offense to those types of remarks. The second amendment is something to be held high and to be protected. I understand this very much and I also understand how public opinion works. You want to educate people and the best way to do that is not by carrying long guns in front of our state house. It will not go over well. We are fortunate to live in a state that honors our rights as well as they do. We should be thanking the State and our legislators that have stood up for our rights. If we went to the state house and looked like we do everyday with our pistols either OC or CC like we normally do and dressed appropriately and have our flyers and signs that present us in a non confrontational manner it will have a much better result. But you do what you feel is right and I will do what I feel is right.

However do not compare how I believe is the best way to gain support for the second amendment cause to the completely horrible actions of Jim Crow Laws or Adolf Hitler. I had family fight for freedom against The Axis and even though my grandmother is white she is darker skinned and was made to sit in the back of the bus on a trip from Indiana to Florida in the early sixties and BS comparisons like what you did are not appropriate and does not show well on you. I simply have stated what my thoughts on the matter where I did not once say that it is not legal or that you should not do it if you feel it is the best way in your opinion to express your feelings. Just be prepared to reap what you sow in the court of public opinion.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Comparing what I am saying about trying to win in the court of public opinion and not have gun owners made out by the media to look a little nuts as how they will portray carrying rifles in front of the state house or by giving people who are unfamiliar with the law heart attacks by carrying long guns in front of the state house to what the Nazis did by making the Jewish people wear stars to make sure all know who they are or by people making Ms. rosa Parks sit in the back of the bus is just plain silly. I take offense to those types of remarks. The second amendment is something to be held high and to be protected. I understand this very much and I also understand how public opinion works. You want to educate people and the best way to do that is not by carrying long guns in front of our state house. It will not go over well. We are fortunate to live in a state that honors our rights as well as they do. We should be thanking the State and our legislators that have stood up for our rights. If we went to the state house and looked like we do everyday with our pistols either OC or CC like we normally do and dressed appropriately and have our flyers and signs that present us in a non confrontational manner it will have a much better result. But you do what you feel is right and I will do what I feel is right.

However do not compare how I believe is the best way to gain support for the second amendment cause to the completely horrible actions of Jim Crow Laws or Adolf Hitler. I had family fight for freedom against The Axis and even though my grandmother is white she is darker skinned and was made to sit in the back of the bus on a trip from Indiana to Florida in the early sixties and BS comparisons like what you did are not appropriate and does not show well on you. I simply have stated what my thoughts on the matter where I did not once say that it is not legal or that you should not do it if you feel it is the best way in your opinion to express your feelings. Just be prepared to reap what you sow in the court of public opinion.
    The media will portray it however they wish to regardless of what you do to counter it. That will largely be out of your control. I've experienced it first hand.

The best you can do is act professional and have well spoken representatives deal with the media, as well as some other little things to minimize risk. The problem is though, they will find fault somewhere no matter what because that is their intent and so you reach a point of diminishing returns. In the current climate especially, you will be made out to be "crazy" in some light no matter how well you handle the situation.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You must'nt carry because people aren't used to it.
    People will only get used to it if they see you carry.
    Catch-22.

congrats, I also had relatives fight (die) fighting Nazis.
    Their sacrifice isn't your sacrifice.

No I don't like comparing gun rights to race.
    Easier to conceal a weapon.

But the right erosion began when people started covering up.
    Not everyone carried, but most were not disturbed by the mere sight.

If you don't like that comparison how about...
    We have a march about a politician (any) being a bum.
    And you said, don't exercise that right.
    They'll fry us in the court of public opinion.
    We'll lose the right.

Or,
    They can search my house anytime.
    You're only against it if you're guilty.

What's the difference?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What about NRA and or other gun organization's backing?

Who is the local organizer/PR person in charge of this? National PR person spokespeople?

Is there a web presence/press release site that is not encompassed in a social network?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    What about NRA and or other gun organization's backing?
    NRA was informed of the rally, but to my knowledge they have not gotten any hands involved. :dunno:
    Who is the local organizer/PR person in charge of this? National PR person spokespeople?
    Nobody laid out in stone yet to my knowledge. Just a mass gathering of free individuals.
    Is there a web presence/press release site that is not encompassed in a social network?
    No website, because they cost money. Facebook is free and reaches the largest mass of people the fastest. I believe there are links to the organizing page in this OP.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You're reading intent in IMPD's actions that wasn't there. And I can assure you that no one observing our group could have mistaken us for LEOs. A good deal of education took place, via both personal conversations and literature.

There ARE times when LEOs are simply fulfilling their responsibility to maintain public order. This was one of those times.

Liberty,
    While I agree with you that those times do happen, and even that they happen frequently, and further, that most LEOs do enter and remain in the profession with noble intentions, my concern with having officers accompanying such a walk would be that public perception was that the group was being "shepherded", accompanied to keep a close eye on them. This would have the opposite effect from what is desired, of course, and should be countered in advance by several public statements from both sides that police are accompanying at the groups own request, primarily to avoid the necessity of multiple responses when the thumb-sucking, bed-wetting, scared-of-their-own-shadow pansies out there see people with guns and make the usual 10-32 calls.

Obviously, it would have to be phrased much more politely than my above example.

Blessings,
    Bill

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Liberty,
    While I agree with you that those times do happen, and even that they happen frequently, and further, that most LEOs do enter and remain in the profession with noble intentions, my concern with having officers accompanying such a walk would be that public perception was that the group was being "shepherded", accompanied to keep a close eye on them. This would have the opposite effect from what is desired, of course, and should be countered in advance by several public statements from both sides that police are accompanying at the groups own request, primarily to avoid the necessity of multiple responses when the thumb-sucking, bed-wetting, scared-of-their-own-shadow pansies out there see people with guns and make the usual 10-32 calls.

Obviously, it would have to be phrased much more politely than my above example.

Blessings,
    Bill

NAH...that'll work :D

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I plan on going. I will however not carry a hunk of metal and plastic. All firearms I carry on a daily basis are loaded, so if I decide to carry a long gun with sling that would be slung on the front of my body, it will be loaded just like any other day of the week.

This is my opinion. We preach long guns ("assault rifles") are safe and don't shoot people on there own and pistols are just as dangerous and so on. So why should we go against what we preach and unload these long guns? Would it not have a negative view by the liberals? They could say "look, even gun owners don't carry loaded "assault rifles" because they know they are dangerous". Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but what is the point of having long guns unloaded?

Edit: not trying to stir something up, but just curious.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I plan on going. I will however not carry a hunk of metal and plastic. All firearms I carry on a daily basis are loaded, so if I decide to carry a long gun with sling that would be slung on the front of my body, it will be loaded just like any other day of the week.

This is my opinion. We preach long guns ("assault rifles") are safe and don't shoot people on there own and pistols are just as dangerous and so on. So why should we go against what we preach and unload these long guns? Would it not have a negative view by the liberals? They could say "look, even gun owners don't carry loaded "assault rifles" because they know they are dangerous". Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but what is the point of having long guns unloaded?

Edit: not trying to stir something up, but just curious.

I encourage you to responsibly carry as you normally would, or as you see fit :)

Top Bottom