• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Just a quick question for the OP. If you shot 5 then picked up your brass how much brass did you pick up. Even if it was warm, if you picked up more than 5 it could not have been yours. I would have felt better if you said you shot 5 and picked up 5.

And I would not go back there either. Let us know when you get your own range built so you can deal with the public on a day to day basis.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    You did the right thing by not arguing with the rangemaster at least... Best to listen and not try to object in their area.

BTW hello Lebanon gun owner, I'm a Lebanon native myself. Atterbury isn't located down in Brown County near Columbus, is it? I know that's where Camp Atterbury is... Kinda unsure if they're one in the same.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You did the right thing by not arguing with the rangemaster at least... Best to listen and not try to object in their area.

BTW hello Lebanon gun owner, I'm a Lebanon native myself. Atterbury isn't located down in Brown County near Columbus, is it? I know that's where Camp Atterbury is... Kinda unsure if they're one in the same.

Southern Johnson Co, the Atterbury Shooting Complex is just adjacent (to the north) of Camp Atterbury proper.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yeah! Some one else thinks like I do. Our tax money has already paid for that range! I don't like paying for something twice. That's why I shoot at Wilbur Wright where the DNR guys will leave you for the most part. Or got the extra distance to Crosley where there is a 200yrd range which is a fit distance for men to shoot at!

Crosley is a dump, people trash it. Your tax money paid for it, but you are ok with people trashing it, hyprocisy.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thank you sir! I visit family down that way all the time, mother-in-law's cousin is Air Force and works down at Camp Atterbury

You're very welcome! Head to an Internet map page and find Camp Atterbury.

The Shooting complex is very near the intersection of Edinburgh Rd, Co. Rd. 800 S, and Mauxferry Rd. NNW of that intersection, actually.

-J-

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I haven't been to Atterbury since the remodel. At the old range, Buzz and I got along fine - it was the other guy that created problems.

I'd have a truckload of guns and I'll be damned if he didn't try and make an excuse why I couldn't shoot any of them.

Can't shoot a Mosin here...."it has a bayonet on it."

Can't shoot that semi-auto Mac 11..........."looks like full auto."

Can't shoot an AR with a vertical grip............"make you fire faster - we don't like that here"

and my favorite............."are you gonna shoot that ENTIRE case of ammo today????"

Not sure if this "Frank" is the same guy?

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Crosley is a dump, people trash it. Your tax money paid for it, but you are ok with people trashing it, hyprocisy.
    I'm not ok with anyone trashing anything. And I don't thnk Crosley is s dump. Of course I'm usually on the 200yrd range don't go to the other parts much. But most of the people I've met there seemed pretty cool. In fact I met a gentleman with a rare sniper Garand that got me interested in collecting milsurp rifles. Quite an interesting rifle the offset scope mount was the oddest thing I'd ever seen on a rifle, but it was the only way to get the clips in. Only problem I've had is one bad experience with a brass hound!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I just wonder why we are required to pay to use property we already own in a manner it was safely used in for decades prior.

Keeping each other safe on the range is not free.

This range was not always safely used. The person who posted that Atterburys range was a Wild West Show before they started using range officers was right on.

I've had people shoot at their target while I was downrange on the 50 yard line more than once. Even after I had them clearly acknowledge that I was clear to go downrange.

A guy was shot in the leg with a 357 while teaching his girlfriend to shoot on the pistol range. This happened with an officer there in 2003 or 2004 while I was mobilized down there and shooting everyday.

I have seen several people trying to blow up propane tanks.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Crosley

Yessir. Crosley is sometimes a dump. I have never been to Crosley without picking up trash at the target line, firing line, or both. I always post new cardboard, if necessary, and leave cardboard in good condition for the next shooter. If I shoot it to the point it can't be used, I take it down when I leave. I often take more clean cardboard silhouettes than I end up using and routinely offer some to other shooters.

It can be a dump but it takes two kinds of people to create and maintain the dump. First, there are the jerks who leave their trash and........ Second, are the jerks who come along behind them and do nothing to fix it. If you're either of these, you have no right to complain! If you're neither, good on you.

I like Crosley.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    4 of us went to Atterbury about a year ago for some mid winter practice.

3 of us had chamber flags and used them.

About a half hour into our shooting, the RO we knicknamed "Ol' yeller" started going off on the member of our party without a chamber flag.

He went off and continued down the firing line. When permission to fire was given, I gave my chamber flag to my buddy without one. He gave me a funny look and I gave him my smart assed "I'm gunna have fun" smile.

At the next cease fire order, I removed the complete bolt from my bolt gun and stuck in the front pocket of my jeans.

When "Ol' yeller" got to us to check to make sure our weapons were clear, he looked at my gun, started on to the next lane, stopped, returned to look over my gun again and pulled a flashlight out of his pocket and started shining it on the rifle receiver.

My buddies and I were standing BEHIND THE LINE and were wondering what was going on with the RO and my rifle. I gave em my smart assed smile and pulled the bolt from my pocket. All cracked up laughing.

The RO had gotten down on his hand and knees to examine my gun then started yelling at me for not having a chamber flag.

I told him the gun was safe and could not fire.

He started yelling at me again and I pulled the bolt out of my pocket and held it up for him. He looked at my gun again, got up and continued down the firing line.

My buddies were still laughing when he left.

Next cease fire, all of my buddies removed the bolts from their rifles and the RO didn't say a thing as he checked our guns as he went down the firing line.

The people on either side of us saw what was going on and pulled the bolts out of their bolt guns and AR's at the next cease fire and were snickering at the RO when he checked guns.

We had as much fun giving it back to "Ol yeller" as we did shooting

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Anyone want to ask the ROs if they've seen injuries from improper handling of firearms? Maybe we need a little perspective on where they have been in life before critizing and taunting them?

I only get yelled at there for dumb mistakes. All ROs have been pleasant with me, but then again I'm just about the best person in the world...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I haven't been to Atterbury since the remodel. At the old range, Buzz and I got along fine - it was the other guy that created problems.

I'd have a truckload of guns and I'll be damned if he didn't try and make an excuse why I couldn't shoot any of them.

Can't shoot a Mosin here...."it has a bayonet on it."

Can't shoot that semi-auto Mac 11..........."looks like full auto."

Can't shoot an AR with a vertical grip............"make you fire faster - we don't like that here"

and my favorite............."are you gonna shoot that ENTIRE case of ammo today????"

Not sure if this "Frank" is the same guy?

You sure that was not the old managment? I'm sorry, but that all sounds like BS.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you read the post it is very clearly the old RO. I haven't been there since the construction. Just wondering if the "Old RO" got a "New Job".

My Dad worked there for a couple of years, but he was a nice guy. There was a guy that Dad said was a prick. I thought you where talking about before Phil took over.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    When Eric used to work there. He said a LEO came in with a 1911 on his hip. The LEO said the gun was clear, but, when he racked the slide there was a round in the chamber. An accident ready to happen.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    When Eric used to work there. He said a LEO came in with a 1911 on his hip. The LEO said the gun was clear, but, when he racked the slide there was a round in the chamber. An accident ready to happen.

Is that Eric that works at Plainfield Shooting Supplies now? I like him, nice guy, he spent quite a bit of time with us when I was getting my wife into firearms.

Top Bottom