• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been down to Atterbury hundreds of times over the last couple of years, with some weeks seeing three trips down there. I've collected a lot of brass, mostly my own, but some when mine was mixed with that of someone that left a mess by not sweeping when they departed. I've never had a word said to me about it except for appreciation for cleaning up when we left.

The ROs can be a bit abrasive at times, but when you look at what some shooters do, it's easy to see why. Atterbury is the first place many shoot their brand new firearms and so there are a lot of complete newbies there. Most of the newbies learn pretty quickly and want to follow range rules. Some of the worst offenders seem to be guys that have been shooting for years and think that has earned them the right to ignore rules. They tend to be the ones that get butt-hurt when yelled at.

I appreciate what the folks at Atterbury are trying to do. They run a complex that has safely introduced shooting to thousands of new shooters. Most of those folks would not be shooting enthusiasts today if their introduction was at a loosely run range. The folks down there also try to take care of the shooting community by selling stuff a lot cheaper than can be bought most other places. Reloading supplies are priced better than anywhere else and their firearms prices are pretty good too.

The range is not for everybody, but even if you don't like the rules being set to allow for the newest of shooters, you have to give them credit for supporting the shooting community.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I just wonder why we are required to pay to use property we already own in a manner it was safely used in for decades prior.

Take your complaint to the DNR. Most of the money used was Federal. The State leases the property from Atterbury. The DNR makes the rules and leases the range, as they did not want to mess with it. You want it back to the former POS it was? Or rather have a well maintained range, which does cost money to up keep. I have seen more then one State ran range with no RO's. People trash them.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I couldn't agree more with US Patriot and the post above his by Tim. I'm sorry if somebody got a case of the Butt-Hurt over being corrected at the Range, but I really enjoy the emphasis on safety. Too many rookies and 1st or 2nd timers there to allow anything to slip bye. What, do you think if you was doing something dangerous at work that your supervisors wouldn't correct you on it?

I have only been into serious shooting for a year and was a first timer at Atterbury back in March. I have never been "yelled at" because I read the rules and follow them.

At the family range, I can do as I please, but at a public range you must follow the rules for everyones safety. If you don't like the rules, don't go.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I think we agree, some folks are just too dumb to be allowed to shoot at a public range.

Which private gun club did you join?

:ar15:

But wait a minute...:dunno:...since the range officers and facility are paid by taxpayers money, doesn't that make every dummy the boss?!?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I went to Atterbury a few times when I first moved to Indiana., before I knew better. Now that I belong to a private gun club I would never go back. They run the place like we owe tem something. Aren't my tax dollars payin
    g their salary? How about just a little customer service.

This is what I was referencing, fyi. I might try this on the next LEO that pulls me over, and see what happens. :D

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    To Pbaker, Is it ever acceptable for your staff to yell at a grown man? Whether the OP is telling the truth or not I have seen many people saying either they have been yelled at or have seen other people being yelled at. I personally have no interest in going to a place that would treat customers in such a way. I also find in amazing that would find it to be ok and even go as far as to defend such a action. If somebody is doing something dangerous by all means get their attention and correct the situation. Yelling at a grown person is not the way to do that.

I've seen people react there to minor correction as if they were "yelled at" because they don't like being corrected. It is a very subjective assessment. Also, it is a range with lots of noise and people wearing hearing protection. They many times have to be loud to get someone's attention.

Maybe, however they can be more polite and do it like this:

Ex--...uh....please excuse my unfortunate interruption, sir, but may I ever so softly and politely please ask you to, and again please pardon me for sounding harsh, not sweep the barrel of your AR15 across the faces of the gentleman and his young children next to you? Thank, you, and please accept my compliments on your stylish and tacticool weapon and its 100 round mag. Is that pink camo job Duracote? My, but that is so pretty! Please continue to enjoy your day at Atterbury.

Last edited:

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I've seen people react there to minor correction as if they were "yelled at" because they don't like being corrected. It is a very subjective assessment.
    You beat me to the punch. This applies to more than just a shooting range. It is amazing to me what constitutes being "yelled at" these days.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've seen people react there to minor correction as if they were "yelled at" because they don't like being corrected. It is a very subjective assessment. Also, it is a range with lots of noise and people wearing hearing protection. They many times have to be loud to get someone's attention.

Maybe, however they can be more polite and do it like this:

Ex--...uh....please excuse my unfortunate interruption, sir, but may I ever so softly and politely please ask you to, and again please pardon me for sounding harsh, not sweep the barrel of your AR15 across the faces of the gentleman and his young children next to you? Thank, you, and please accept my compliments on your stylish and tacticool weapon and its 100 round mag. Is that pink camo job Duracote? My, but that is so pretty! Please continue to enjoy your day at Atterbury.

Well said. I was nearly ejected from a local indoor range for grappling with an idiot for some sever safety infractions. Nothing to do with brass as this a-- would not know what to do with it. Point here, lack of guidance and such at a range equals pain, suffering and loss.
    On the OP's original point, I took a friend with me to MCFG a while back. He got excited about all the brass laying about and formulated a plan to harvest it and pocket some money. It took me a minute to convince him this was not an option. People are just getting freaky stupid and so self centered. I have avoided this fellow since. Freedom
    does not mean the world is yours to do as you see fit. We have become so sensitive and tender as a society. The OP may have been policing only his brass, maybe not. Should he have been yelled at, maybe not. Is he alive and well for the experience, yes he is. Let it go, move on, join a private club and pay big fees so you can still be observed and told to follow guidelines. You have the right to move on and be happy somewhere else.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    But wait a minute...:dunno:...since the range officers and facility are paid by taxpayers money, doesn't that make every dummy the boss?!?

Where in the heck do you get the idea the range officers are paid by taxpayer dollars? They don't work for the state, the DNR, or Camp Atterbury. As a matter of fact, the people running the range, PAY the state to be there. The facility was improved from the nightmare it used to be to the current modern facility thanks to federal grants over 2 million dollars.

Have you even been there?

Go check the place out, it's a NICE facility but you will be expected to follow all the rules.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Where in the heck do you get the idea the range officers are paid by taxpayer dollars? They don't work for the state, the DNR, or Camp Atterbury. As a matter of fact, the people running the range, PAY the state to be there. The facility was improved from the nightmare it used to be to the current modern facility thanks to federal grants over 2 million dollars.

Have you even been there?

Go check the place out, it's a NICE facility but you will be expected to follow all the rules.

Read my next post. I was responding to someone else who made the comment.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    As far as the other range being "safely used" for decades, do you have stats to back that up, or are you just going by the fact you never heard anything bad happen? Can you say, with 100% certainty, that an ambulance was never called for an injury caused by the reckless action of a shooter?

Actually I remember a time +12 years ago before the range was revamped when my grandfather took me there. We showed up and were not allowed to shoot because the cops and an ambulance were there. Apparently some idiot shot himself in the foot.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just wonder why we are required to pay to use property we already own in a manner it was safely used in for decades prior.
    Yeah! Some one else thinks like I do. Our tax money has already paid for that range! I don't like paying for something twice. That's why I shoot at Wilbur Wright where the DNR guys will leave you for the most part. Or got the extra distance to Crosley where there is a 200yrd range which is a fit distance for men to shoot at!

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I've seen people react there to minor correction as if they were "yelled at" because they don't like being corrected. It is a very subjective assessment. Also, it is a range with lots of noise and people wearing hearing protection. They many times have to be loud to get someone's attention....

Yeah. One of my favorite exchanges with Buzz, after I watched him call out three times trying to get through the transgressor's $12 earmuffs and so each time a little louder: "Get off the bench!":

Me: "Man, Buzz... You're a surly ole b@$tard. And I know this to be true because they say it on INGO."

Buzz: "Ahhhh. I've got 60 lanes to watch. I can't be walking all the way down to kiss 'em on the lips and ask 'pretty-please, get off the bench!' They should try these electronic muffs. I can hear a guy call me an @$$hole from 50 yards."​

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    In my 3 times being to the range I get the impression that who ever is working that day runs it their way. One day I was told chamber flags were not necessary if the gun stayed in a case/not loaded/slide back. My last visit this is what I did and was told at right before the very last session of shooting, I would have to buy a flag even though it was ok for the past 2.5 hours

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    What did they look like? I have been shooting there for some time. I pick up my brass, others, and even go through the buckets. No one says a thing to me. You have to understand one thing. There are a lot of idiots that shoot their that can not follow simple rules. I would probably be bitter as well if I had to deal with morons on a daily basis.

:+1:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I was not trying to start anything back and forth with anybody, simply wished to state my opinion. I did email them afterwards in regards to their brass policy and was told exactly this " We acutally prefer that you don't pick up brass on the range. You are more than welcome to pick up your own but already have a great use for it once it is colllected."

I'm not asking to carry out buckets, just didn't know there would be a problem if I grabbed a few that weren't mine and I am 99% sure that anything I grabbed was mine since it was still all warm.

That is all I needed to say, not going to get into a fight with anybody about it.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    They should try these electronic muffs. I can hear a guy call me an @$$hole from 50 yards."

+1 for electronic muffs, I would wear them on the range and could hear what the Privates were saying behind me, then go and administer corrective action, it usually only worked a couple times before they figured out I wasn't a ninja and the electonic muffs just amplified the conversation.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The last time I was there Frank yelled at this guy during a seize fire. During the seize fire the guy left his cell phone on the shooting bench. The phone started ringing so he approached the bench to grab it. Frank immediately started screaming over the speaker system. He and the guy yell at each other, then frank tells the guy to leave. The guy goes to get his stuff to leave and he screams at him to not touch his stuff until the seize fire is over. The guy says if you are going to force me to leave then I'm going now. Frank continues yelling as the guy collects his things and leaves.

Also, there are signs that say no holstered weapons? Seriously?!?! After seeing some of the characters shooting I decided to keep my EDC concealed.

Would that have been during a cease fire? Or was someone having a seizure?

Top Bottom