• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I fly a drone. It's a lot of fun, and you get some amazing photo opportunities. Of course, I don't 'target' anyone elses property. You can't really zoom in on anything either, so it's not like I can see you in the shower. And it's pretty loud, so you really can't sneak up on anybody. Is someone targetting your place?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I fly a drone. It's a lot of fun, and you get some amazing photo opportunities. Of course, I don't 'target' anyone elses property. You can't really zoom in on anything either, so it's not like I can see you in the shower. And it's pretty loud, so you really can't sneak up on anybody. Is someone targetting your place?

I think you bring up a good point here. Drones are like many other tools, are not a problem in and of themselves. It is all in how they're used.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never have seen one out here in the GSF. Might be a good way to check up on trespassers.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I fail to get to excited about my privacy re drones. When you take a look at the Google earth satellite views of my house it shows pretty much every thing in my yard. Considering it is a private satellite with far less resolution than the military/Government ones, I am sure those can read a newspaper in my yard! My sons and nephews verified that statement as they have viewed images from those cameras.

I seriously doubt there is a day anyone that is outside their home without a video recording or pictures taken. I seriously doubt it will get any less in the future.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To me an often overlooked point here is the courts allowed for airplanes and the like to fly over private property, air rights, now they are coming back and allowing drones in what previously was my property. Is this a Constitutional "taking" for government to take the air rights I had?

MM

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I fail to get to excited about my privacy re drones. When you take a look at the Google earth satellite views of my house it shows pretty much every thing in my yard. Considering it is a private satellite with far less resolution than the military/Government ones, I am sure those can read a newspaper in my yard! My sons and nephews verified that statement as they have viewed images from those cameras.

I seriously doubt there is a day anyone that is outside their home without a video recording or pictures taken. I seriously doubt it will get any less in the future.

You also are failing to get excited about someone watching your little granddaughter play in the back yard? There is a difference between satellite surveillance and the neighbors flying over your backyard watching your family. And while true the resolution you describe, I cannot fathom there is a way currently possible for them to watch all of us in that resolution and store all that data. The local drone is an in your face intrusion in your pursuit of happiness that the satellite is not.

MM

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    You also are failing to get excited about someone watching your little granddaughter play in the back yard? There is a difference between satellite surveillance and the neighbors flying over your backyard watching your family. And while true the resolution you describe, I cannot fathom there is a way currently possible for them to watch all of us in that resolution and store all that data. The local drone is an in your face intrusion in your pursuit of happiness that the satellite is not.

MM

For what it is worth, using a drone to peep is already illegal. Subsection (g) of Indiana Code 2018 - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

MM

Well, my house is on a corner with a lot of foot traffic, and fences are verboten, so a drone is the least of my concern.

How many drone fly-overs do you get annually?

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    If I may weigh in here. I am a drone pilot and I follow the rules regarding unmanned vehicle flight. One of them being about privacy of others. It is illegal to use drones on people’s private property but flying over above certain altitudes is not. The property lines don’t stretch up to the atmosphere and drones are only allowed to fly below 400ft per FAA regs. I don’t personally fly into other peoples yards and photograph them. I’m sure there are people that do and I think it’s fine for you to knock one out of the sky if it invades your privacy. Not everyone’s going to follow the laws for anything so I try to stay in the “right” when I fly. Hopefully one doesn’t see my use of drones as a nuisance, there’s also laws about flying in parks and wildlife refuges as to not disturb the wildlife.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I miss the old days.

Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Yes, the good old days, before aircraft could violate a man's airspace above his castle....

and before vaccines, refrigeration, modern sanitation, modern medical care, etc, etc... :)

(Yes, I did have to Google it!)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, my house is on a corner with a lot of foot traffic, and fences are verboten, so a drone is the least of my concern.

How many drone fly-overs do you get annually?

Your personal decisions pertaining to privacy at your home have nothing to do with the drone issue other than to illustrate you do not prioritize privacy, and that is your free choice.

Drones are being sold by the thousands and are getting cheaper by the day so incidents involving them will continue to increase. Most people do not even think when they get one, they just start checking out the neighbors property, it seems like fun.

MM

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The saving grace of consumer-grade drones as they exist today is short flight time. I'm not especially concerned about flyovers and "tactical" use, akin to taking over some of the missions that police helicopters currently do.

What keeps me up at night is the idea of persistent surveillance by aerostats or high altitude, high endurance drone aircraft. The kind of thing we used in Kabul or Baghdad: A surveillance "time machine" that records everything, everywhere, and stores it indefinitely for later review. The kind of system I could definitely see rolled out over DC or Chicago, and probably exists already in the NYC CCTV network.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Your personal decisions pertaining to privacy at your home have nothing to do with the drone issue other than to illustrate you do not prioritize privacy, and that is your free choice.

Drones are being sold by the thousands and are getting cheaper by the day so incidents involving them will continue to increase. Most people do not even think when they get one, they just start checking out the neighbors property, it seems like fun.

MM

I'll ask again: How many drone fly-overs do you get annually? And of that number, how many are hovering and leering at you?

I guess my point is, "is all this just hypothetical, or is there a very real practical component?" I'm really curious if people are actually having a problem with this.

The laws are on the books, so what's the issue now? Airspace rights? What do you want done?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The saving grace of consumer-grade drones as they exist today is short flight time. I'm not especially concerned about flyovers and "tactical" use, akin to taking over some of the missions that police helicopters currently do.

What keeps me up at night is the idea of persistent surveillance by aerostats or high altitude, high endurance drone aircraft. The kind of thing we used in Kabul or Baghdad: A surveillance "time machine" that records everything, everywhere, and stores it indefinitely for later review. The kind of system I could definitely see rolled out over DC or Chicago, and probably exists already in the NYC CCTV network.

I gotta dig up that podcast... there's a company that offers 24/7 monitoring for cities. Did a robbery happen? Well then, review the tape and you can backtrack the suspects movement for days before, thus allowing you to find the residence of the suspect for easy nabbing. The footage was a grainy mess, but at least you could follow the blobs around the city.

That, of course, has a whole host of privacy issues.

Personally, I'm more concerned about being tracked around the city, rather than someone looking at my buttcrack while I'm gardening in the backyard.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Ever consider the advantages of being "that crazy man" in the neighborhood that everyone knows you don't go anywhere near? I knew a few growing up.

I didn't move out to east butt nowhere just to be remotely drug back into the crap I left behind.

I don't plan on painting my woods purple, putting up signs or rolling out the welcome mat to aerial visitors. What comes to Mongo's place stays in Mongo's place.

I will be a modern version of "that crazy man" if that is what it takes...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I did see one of these at a big car show flying over. Thought it was pretty risky, considering if it crashed into an expensive show car underneath it would be a very costly crash.

Top Bottom