• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Privacy vs Piracy...it's the same. Please don't steal my right to privacy.

As for Bing Maps and Google Maps, they have the satellite images, yes. The street views of my property and homes however, have been blurred out on both maps at my request.

To answer the how many times question: probably 5 or 6 times per year during the warmer months. Probably because I have daughters.
    Maybe I just need to move to a cabin in the woods (off grid) and be done. :dunno:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Privacy vs Piracy...it's the same. Please don't steal my right to privacy.

As for Bing Maps and Google Maps, they have the satellite images, yes. The street views of my property and homes however, have been blurred out on both maps at my request.

To answer the how many times question: probably 5 or 6 times per year during the warmer months. Probably because I have daughters.
    Maybe I just need to move to a cabin in the woods (off grid) and be done. :dunno:

The daughters are probably a big reason, but you also live in an area where most have disposable income to spend on toys, so they are more likely to be able to own a good quality drone with all the toys.

MM

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Question, when one gets a new drone, does the documentation reference user responsibility to follow all laws and help new users find what those laws are?

MM

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Question, when one gets a new drone, does the documentation reference user responsibility to follow all laws and help new users find what those laws are?

MM

Forgive me, but I would think it's like a gun - other than a bunch of warning and safety rules...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ that's pretty stupid imo. The poor eagle needs some armored leggings. The props are really sharp & spin at ~600 rpm. There are pics all over the web of cut up hands where people tried to hand catch the drone.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    ^ that's pretty stupid imo. The poor eagle needs some armored leggings. The props are really sharp & spin at ~600 rpm. There are pics all over the web of cut up hands where people tried to hand catch the drone.

I never hand-catch the drone. 4 hard plastic blades that sound like an angry hornets nest is not my idea of rational behavior.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    [video=youtube;tKNN49idCUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKNN49idCUo[/video]

There's video on utube of hawks 'capturing' drones and taking it back to the nest for chicks to consume. Obviously, they couldn't consume it, but it is a danger for drone operators. I have followed vultures in the sky (that showed no interest) but land quickly if birds of prey show interest.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I really don't want to hurt any of these awesome birds while spying on your bikini clad girlfriend from 400' up (she sunbathes topless btw). :shady:

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I really don't want to hurt any of these awesome birds while spying on your bikini clad girlfriend from 400' up (she sunbathes topless btw). :shady:

Pics, or it didn't happen!! Seriously, though, the view from 400' is amazing, almost anywhere. I've got a higher end consumer drone, and even at 40 mph speed, could not get close to the buzzards I was trying to follow. The updrafts hit their wings, they're just gone!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I thought eagles had the best armored legging nature has to offer.

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma
    I'm not a fan of drones.
    My other hobby is rc planes.
    I am a member of the AMA, fly 95% at a designated field, and closely follow safety guidelines and common sense.
    Drones are a big issue for sport rc pilots as many of the people that fly them have no regard for sensisibility, safety, or the privacy of others.
    Once again the few mess it up for the many.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I'm not a fan of drones.
    My other hobby is rc planes.
    I am a member of the AMA, fly 95% at a designated field, and closely follow safety guidelines and common sense.
    Drones are a big issue for sport rc pilots as many of the people that fly them have no regard for sensisibility, safety, or the privacy of others.
    Once again the few mess it up for the many.

Well, I'm one of the many that does not mess it up. The aerial shots and video you can get from a drone is not like any other craft that I know of . We can go places, responsibly, and get footage that you can get nowhere else, and play it back in 4k on the biggest screen and look great. I don't argue your points about idiots, but they exist in any field of endeavor. I am a little bit scared of the Ultra-light aircraft that flies in my area (and over my house) at about 200 feet. Looks way cool when he's flying, and I'm sure it's a blast, but with my ceiling being 400', we may one day have an issue. Of course, I try to be aware, but it still scares me when he's in the same general space I am.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I do not like these things being anywhere near my home. Thinking how to take one out without violating firearms laws.
    IIRC there is a device (transmitter) with a Yagi antenna that someone makes to essentially jam any signals from reaching it. Wonder how much those cost?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...-looks-for-missing-dogs/ar-BBU0XLS?li=BBnbcA1

Wait until it gets quite low and close to obstacles and then jam the video link, which generally is on one of only two frequencies. If you can't see to fly it many unfortunate things can happen

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Well, I'm one of the many that does not mess it up. The aerial shots and video you can get from a drone is not like any other craft that I know of . We can go places, responsibly, and get footage that you can get nowhere else, and play it back in 4k on the biggest screen and look great. I don't argue your points about idiots, but they exist in any field of endeavor. I am a little bit scared of the Ultra-light aircraft that flies in my area (and over my house) at about 200 feet. Looks way cool when he's flying, and I'm sure it's a blast, but with my ceiling being 400', we may one day have an issue. Of course, I try to be aware, but it still scares me when he's in the same general space I am.

Note the key word describing how you use this tool.

Unfortunately, irresponsible use of all kinds of stuff, like cars, guns, and alcohol, have led to restrictions that affect the majority of (responsible) users.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am almost hoping for a major solar coronal mass ejection to happen and fry every high-tech gadget in existence.
    Imagine all those cellphone addicted kids jonesing for their social media for months/years.

I think it would be a good thing to hit the reset button on tech for awhile.

I shouldn't be hoping for that since I am an IT systems administrator and that would end my job (although I would probably get well paid in the aftermath to help rebuild all those systems)

That reset button for tech is a relatively low yield fission warhead optimized for enhanced gamma output and detonated in the upper atmosphere. Unfortunately the only optional tech setting is 18th century and we're low on whale oil

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You might not be the only one.

The scary issue here is not as much "private" concerns as governmental. What happens when the "crazy man" collides with doxing and or red flag laws?

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. How do you hide from these things?

I'm surprised that there is more concern about peeping than using them to case property for burglaries

Vic Z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Tacoma

Like I said, the few mess it up for the many.
    I appreciate that you are skilled and careful with your drone. You my friend are not the problem. It's the dumba$$ that has no clue what he is doing and no regard for the safety of himself and others. He just spends a couple hundred bucks and thinks he has a clue.
    Like mentioned, there is "that guy" in every hobby.
    There are a bunch of regulations that have come about in the rc world due to "that guy".
    Drone photography is awesome. Like you said, you can get some great shots.

Top Bottom