• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'll ask again: How many drone fly-overs do you get annually? And of that number, how many are hovering and leering at you?

I guess my point is, "is all this just hypothetical, or is there a very real practical component?" I'm really curious if people are actually having a problem with this.

The laws are on the books, so what's the issue now? Airspace rights? What do you want done?

Around a half dozen. My interest is mainly from property and privacy rights. Some targets will generate different levels of interest. An old guys butt crack gardening, low, a private pool and high school girls in bikinis, a whole different level. What about the space above a boat on public water? If the wife wants to tan in a bikini, a boat can go by and see what they can, a drone is a whole different thing because it gets to see what was impossible just a few years ago, down inside.

Make stalking by drone illegal, and allow land owners to take them out if the stalk private property.

M

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    IngoMike, I don't disagree with you. Anyone stalking private property needs to pay a price. I will say that most consumer drones have a 1x lens, so they're not really going to get any 'bikini' detail. Imagine looking through a 1x riflescope; you're not going to see anything really, unless you get real close. And like I said, drones are loud, so I can not sneak up on anyone. I did have one neighbor express concern, until I showed him the film I had taken. It did briefly show his house, but not detailed, and I kept moving. The picture below is what most drone flyers are looking for. It's my folks place down south. The pond is 12 acres of bass and bluegill fishing heaven, surrounded by pine forests full of turkey, quail, deer, coyote, etc.... This is a view you could never get any other way. I do believe I've seen 'special' crops of tomato-looking plants during my travels, but I especially don't hang out there with the drone.

DJI_0734.jpg

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Add to this Amazon has stated that they will be delivering merchandise via drones in the near future. So the drone you blast just may be carrying your latest purchase.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    IngoMike, I don't disagree with you. Anyone stalking private property needs to pay a price. I will say that most consumer drones have a 1x lens, so they're not really going to get any 'bikini' detail.....The picture below is what most drone flyers are looking for....

Judging from the height of the trees I'm guessing that photo was taken from at least 250' up.

What's the view the neighborhood teenage boy gets when he buzzes a pool at 30' up?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Judging from the height of the trees I'm guessing that photo was taken from at least 250' up.

What's the view the neighborhood teenage boy gets when he buzzes a pool at 30' up?

Depending on the circumstances, he might be committing a crime:

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-45-4-5 Voyeurism; public voyeurism; aerial voyeurism
    [/FONT]

. . .

[FONT=&amp](g) A person who, with the intent to peep, operates an unmanned aerial vehicle in a manner that is intended to cause the unmanned aerial vehicle to enter the space above or surrounding another person's occupied dwelling for the purpose of capturing images, photographs, video recordings, or audio recordings of the other person while the other person is:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) within the other person's occupied dwelling; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) on the land or premises:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](A) on which the other person's occupied dwelling is located; and[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](B) in a location that is not visible from an area:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](i) open to the general public; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](ii) where a member of the general public has the right to be;[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]commits remote aerial voyeurism, a Class A misdemeanor.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (h) The offense under subsection (g) is a Level 6 felony if the person has a prior unrelated conviction under this section or in another jurisdiction, including a military court, for an offense that is substantially similar to an offense described in this section, or if the person:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) publishes the images, photographs, or recordings captured;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) makes the images, photographs, or recordings captured available on the Internet; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](3) transmits or disseminates the images, photographs, or recordings captured to another person.

[emphasis added][/FONT]

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

I'll see if I can find a representative photo. Anybody buzzing my property at 30' is going to get the law called on them.

I do believe, by law (and states vary in their laws) your property rights extend 400 or 500 ft above your property. Of course, someone just passing through at 350 ft, and keeps moving, you're probably not even going to know they were there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'll see if I can find a representative photo. Anybody buzzing my property at 30' is going to get the law called on them.

I do believe, by law (and states vary in their laws) your property rights extend 400 or 500 ft above your property. Of course, someone just passing through at 350 ft, and keeps moving, you're probably not even going to know they were there.
    I believe it's 83'.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/05/30/317074394/drone-wars-who-owns-the-air

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    As drones get smaller, lighter, have better cameras and flight times you will not be able to shoot them down, swap them, spray them or even know where they are. Drones under 1/2 pound don't even need registered.

My next drone will be the Mavic2 Zoom with a 2x camera. Soon, they'll have 4x, 8x and who knows how much zoom. You won't be able to see nor hear them at distance but they'll see you. Better keep your pants on RobbyQ!

You might own the ground but you don't own the sky. You don't "own" x number of feet above your property & don't have a right to interfere with an UAS while in flight.

[edit - a good website to see where you can fly: https://app.airmap.io ]

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    2dh114.gif

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Yes, the good old days, before aircraft could violate a man's airspace above his castle....

and before vaccines, refrigeration, modern sanitation, modern medical care, etc, etc... :)

(Yes, I did have to Google it!)

Way off the topic of drones but... Most of these things are only needed once a culture surpasses the carrying capacity or a certain level of civilization (which mainly just means living on top of one another and relying more and more on science and technology for basic health).

One of the great quotes in the Leonard Crow Dog book is when he says something along the lines of "we moved before camp no longer smelled sweet." Now we as the majority of Americans only catch a glimpse of that freedom in an expensive elk camp out West where I took a mule packing/guiding class (Montana... Absuroka-Beartooth Wilderness Area).

The HIV/AIDS "transmission event" has been tracked back to the 1930s when Indigenous hunters in Africa caught the disease from bonobo chimps via nicks/cuts/scrapes while making meat. For generations in small populations a hunter or two (and perhaps his wife) in a given culture/population would die a terrible, mysterious death in the rainforest. Maybe someone else in that culture would get it 20 years later, again via an infected bonobo. It remained isolated.

The spread of HIV/AIDS was a symptom of the modern 20th Century world. As "civilization"/industrialized colonialism pressured more and more people and wiped peoples' cultures/lands/traditions away, you no longer had your isolated hunter/gatherer, pastoral, or herding culture. You had people forced into jobs like trucking, prostitution, rubber plantations, shop and bar keepers, etc. No longer did a handful of hunters die culturally isolated AIDS deaths in the forest. They became 20th Century workers who spread diseases for hundreds of miles between towns and cities, and eventually continents via air travel to Belgium and Haiti.

The Dark Ages were a European phenomena, not a global pandemic. When many of our ancestors were dying of cholera in crap-street disease-ridden Euro cities, the rest of the world was fine.

People here may be dealing with drought. People there with flood. People over there with unpleasant Comanche neighbors, but this notion of an entire continent or culture being miserable and unhappy or potentially infected (aside from the landed gentry, royalty, and religious elite) is a symptom of Western Civilization.

Last edited:

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Specifically on drones though, soon enough many municipalities will be using them in terms of code enforcement, etc. Maybe you're a construction worker/carpenter your whole life... Anyone who's seen even 5 episodes of any of the house-flipping shows on HGTV knows alot of houses have unpermitted additions. Now all those towns can fly over every backyard and say these people aren't supposed to have a deck, or that 10x14 bulge on the west/back side of the house isn't supposed to be there.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Specifically on drones though, soon enough many municipalities will be using them in terms of code enforcement, etc. Maybe you're a construction worker/carpenter your whole life... Anyone who's seen even 5 episodes of any of the house-flipping shows on HGTV knows alot of houses have unpermitted additions. Now all those towns can fly over every backyard and say these people aren't supposed to have a deck, or that 10x14 bulge on the west/back side of the house isn't supposed to be there.

As drones get smaller, lighter, have better cameras and flight times you will not be able to shoot them down, swap them, spray them or even know where they are. Drones under 1/2 pound don't even need registered.

My next drone will be the Mavic2 Zoom with a 2x camera. Soon, they'll have 4x, 8x and who knows how much zoom. You won't be able to see nor hear them at distance but they'll see you. Better keep your pants on RobbyQ!

You might own the ground but you don't own the sky. You don't "own" x number of feet above your property & don't have a right to interfere with an UAS while in flight.

[edit - a good website to see where you can fly: https://app.airmap.io ]

Not the world I want to live in, you guys sound excited by this. Others are excited about Amazon drone delivery, who the heck wants millions of drones darkening the sky delivering packages?

MM

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Not the world I want to live in, you guys sound excited by this. Others are excited about Amazon drone delivery, who the heck wants millions of drones darkening the sky delivering packages?

MM

I'm on your side. I wasn't happy. In the end, in most instances, drones will not be on the side of "the people". For sure there are some great scientific/oceanic and Scandanavian instagram pages based on drone videography, but the negatives will outweigh the positives.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Look at Google map and the Arial pics.They already can see this crap.

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    In terms of the previous posts about verticality ownership and air rights, of course major land "developers" think about this. It's the impetus behind the Hudson Yards project in NYC.

We Indiana have been sheltered from things that the West has long thought about, and now the East is creating their own version of. We all spent a fair amount of Montana horseback time crossing land to which we didn't have water rights. So we traveled it but we never watered our horses. Now the east is buying and selling sky.

A municipal drone in your backyard will not be illegal.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I gotta dig up that podcast... there's a company that offers 24/7 monitoring for cities. Did a robbery happen? Well then, review the tape and you can backtrack the suspects movement for days before, thus allowing you to find the residence of the suspect for easy nabbing. The footage was a grainy mess, but at least you could follow the blobs around the city.

That, of course, has a whole host of privacy issues.

Personally, I'm more concerned about being tracked around the city, rather than someone looking at my buttcrack while I'm gardening in the backyard.
    the military has been doing this over battlefields for a long while now
    Are we to believe the government hasn't deployed this technology over large cities? Honestly they would be negligent not to IMO with the threats against our country these days.
    I've said it before, I'm sure they use them DAILY over large cities for monitoring and rewind, possibly even Indy. I know they use them for large national and large sports events for monitoring.
    How big of a crime it has to be before they "review the footage" and who determines that who knows. I doubt a warrant would be needed, hell its been brought to light that the state police has been monitoring cell phone signals for a long time with no warrants. Huge grey area and constitutional issues.
    I'm sure they don't want to officially acknowledge they're using it over cities daily. Also how low down the line does the access to it go? State partners too or even some city law enforcement who have been federally deputized or whatever they call it. Sworn to secrecy you can be sure.
    We always hear from officials in government and in law enforcement that oh no no we dont have that technology or no no they dont use that technology or I would know about it, until we find out its been used for years and they hid it so they wouldn't get challenged in court or give up an investigative method. If you can think it, you can bet they have

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    In case some here haven't kept up with drone technology, there are flying drones that look like birds and flap their wings for propulsion. Giving a drone the ability to glide without using battery power to stay aloft gains a ton of flight time.

You soon won't know if that "bird" is law enforcement trying to locate a meth house, illegal still or illegal plant growers. They will be programmed to search specific areas and have no direct human control. They will fly autonomously.

I have a buddy who builds autonomous drones for competitions. The drones fly to programmed waypoint targets along a course designed by the organizers. No human input. Weight, speed, battery life, GPS, terrain mapping, all play a part in building your drone to win.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In case some here haven't kept up with drone technology, there are flying drones that look like birds and flap their wings for propulsion. Giving a drone the ability to glide without using battery power to stay aloft gains a ton of flight time.

You soon won't know if that "bird" is law enforcement trying to locate a meth house, illegal still or illegal plant growers. They will be programmed to search specific areas and have no direct human control. They will fly autonomously.

I have a buddy who builds autonomous drones for competitions. The drones fly to programmed waypoint targets along a course designed by the organizers. No human input. Weight, speed, battery life, GPS, terrain mapping, all play a part in building your drone to win.

Another tool in the belt of the totalitarian, AOC, "I'm the boss", will love this technology.

MM

Top Bottom