• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That was my concern as well, and I refused for that reason.

I've never known anyone to be in that predicament. YMMV.

However, I have seen several movies where the plot revolved around finding a way to come up with the money for the property tax.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That was my concern as well, and I refused for that reason.

I prefer to have my taxes and insurance in escrow. Two less things to contend with. I know exactly how much is being paid for everything, so the properties that have escrow means I don't have to hold X amount monthly to pay the taxes in the spring. I usually pay yearly unless I feel I will be selling the property soon.

Have had a few escrow shortages as well as some overages but that always seemed to be the fault of the county.

That reminds me... I need to make an appointment with my insurance agent to go over my policies again. Can usually save more doing that then fighting over the property tax increases (even though I still do).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Besides "the principle of the thing", the other reason I pay out-of-pocket on the due date: I do not like making interest-free loans to the government. I prefer MY money to stay in MY accounts, earning even a little interest. It isn't much, but it does add up over time. And it is MINE.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Besides "the principle of the thing", the other reason I pay out-of-pocket on the due date: I do not like making interest-free loans to the government. I prefer MY money to stay in MY accounts, earning even a little interest. It isn't much, but it does add up over time. And it is MINE.

I get that. That's the same reason I never over paid for my income taxes. Now I have to pay ahead, which sucks.

But with the other things I pay ahead because my time is worth more than the few cents in interest I will make with a regular savings account.

Again I am not talking about one household. That might make a difference for me.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I've never known anyone to be in that predicament. YMMV.

However, I have seen several movies where the plot revolved around finding a way to come up with the money for the property tax.

We are EXTREMELY blessed to live in such a great state where personal property tax is capped at 1%. My parents live in IL and their property tax is close to 10%.

The next step is to get rid of it all together. Indiana finally abolished the death tax, next on the block is property tax, IMO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are EXTREMELY blessed to live in such a great state where personal property tax is capped at 1%. My parents live in IL and their property tax is close to 10%.

The next step is to get rid of it all together. Indiana finally abolished the death tax, next on the block is property tax, IMO.

Some truth here. But again, when your kids are no longer using the schools or the other things that this insidious tax covers it should be reduced or just go away. If you give these turds a bottomless pit of funds to take from it is like a drug. We saw this school year that there are some huge round balls set beside the entrances to all the schools on the west side. Huge ornate spheres. WTF purpose is served. How much money was wasted on these useless ornate pieces and why. It makes zero sense. IPS is closing schools due to the exodus from the city to the burbs. Yet they continue to suck funds from property owners at an alarming rate and cry for more. This has got to stop.
    We sent our kids to private schools and still paid this terrible tax. We are now retired and long disconnected from that responsibility. Yet the state is still a burden.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Some truth here. But again, when your kids are no longer using the schools or the other things that this insidious tax covers it should be reduced or just go away. If you give these turds a bottomless pit of funds to take from it is like a drug. We saw this school year that there are some huge round balls set beside the entrances to all the schools on the west side. Huge ornate spheres. WTF purpose is served. How much money was wasted on these useless ornate pieces and why. It makes zero sense. IPS is closing schools due to the exodus from the city to the burbs. Yet they continue to suck funds from property owners at an alarming rate and cry for more. This has got to stop.
    We sent our kids to private schools and still paid this terrible tax. We are now retired and long disconnected from that responsibility. Yet the state is still a burden.

Were those actually security measures disguised as art? And even if they're just art, well, what's wrong with making a school look nice?

I have no kids. Yet, I benefit by having an educated society and pool of potential employees. Are we really trying to argue that public education isn't an essential service? I can guess which country don't have public schools, and I know what nickname the president gave them...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Just a technical point, on property taxes, it is an interest free loan to the bank...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Were those actually security measures disguised as art? And even if they're just art, well, what's wrong with making a school look nice?

I have no kids. Yet, I benefit by having an educated society and pool of potential employees. Are we really trying to argue that public education isn't an essential service? I can guess which country don't have public schools, and I know what nickname the president gave them...

Art. Just decoration.

Here is what's wrong with this. Anything Gov. does costs 3 times at least what it would cost in the private sector. The little darlings did just fine before the art. Never missed it. 1 of the schools my spouse attended in her G-school time. No art. No issues.
    The school I drop the 12 year old at was my High School. I was in the 1st graduating class out of that campus and.........wait for it.......No Art by the doors. Who cared. Nobody thats who. A total waste of "Our" dollars.

Just more waste. Spend this money where it is needed. Pay the teachers better. Do something from a results oriented mind set.

Oh Pulleeese...Of course we need the schools. But in this lets reduce the burdens on the tax payers. Use the money wisely or let it set util it is needed.
    If you retire your property tax burden should be greatly reduced. No more dogs in that fight. Like I already stated....we never used the Public school system fr our kids and yes we paid.

Hey if you are OK with it then pay away.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    We absolutely do not need schools operated or controlled by any level of government.

Yes we do! How else are you going to make sure all those young minds are indoctrinated,...er...I mean educated to the same high standard? :dunno:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm fine with public schools.

I'm also fine with a portion of my tax money (and that of the parents) going to the family to use towards the kid's education as they see fit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You said this:

But then agreed with this:

Would you care to explain what your thinking?

I sent my kids to private schools (or did you miss that part) to get as far away as possible from gov intervention. They still set the standards but no way to get out of that. If possible we would have.
    Let me rephrase here to clarify....we need the education.

What in the heck are you pushing. Are you doing your standard Kut imitation here because that is the vibe I am getting from you. Stirring the pudding early methinks.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    We are 5 for 6 voting in School referendums here in Noblesville.
    The last 2 will be running concurrently.
    The schools have a ready made tax payer funded organization that they use to full effect especially in off year elections.
    I know it is “for the children” but as I understand it the school referendum option was supposed to be used in emergencies.
    It seems to me that they are taking advantage of the process to circumvent the 1% property tax cap.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We are 5 for 6 voting in School referendums here in Noblesville.
    The last 2 will be running concurrently.
    The schools have a ready made tax payer funded organization that they use to full effect especially in off year elections.
    I know it is “for the children” but as I understand it the school referendum option was supposed to be used in emergencies.
    It seems to me that they are taking advantage of the process to circumvent the 1% property tax cap.

Referendums aren't the only way they get around that cap. Almost immediately after that law went into effect, miraculously nearly everyone's assessed property values took a major jump. Funny that, huh? I mean, what a coinky dink! :rolleyes:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I sent my kids to private schools (or did you miss that part) to get as far away as possible from gov intervention. They still set the standards but no way to get out of that. If possible we would have.
    Let me rephrase here to clarify....we need the education.

What in the heck are you pushing. Are you doing your standard Kut imitation here because that is the vibe I am getting from you. Stirring the pudding early methinks.
    No stirring here. It sounds like you want public schools to exist, but only in the bare minimum. You want to call it an atrocity, but all don't seem to want to adequately fund it - or want to complain how the money is spent.

I am for vouchers. I'm not a fan of current state of public education in the US.
    But, I am also for making public schools good places to work and learn.
    I'm seriously in favor of shaking up bloated, bureaucratic districts.

I don't agree with the attitude, "I don't directly benefit, so I shouldn't pay." The "taxation is theft" gets old, fast.

I should be allowed voice my opinion on the subject, and shouldn't be accused of being a troublemaker just because I don't toe the libertarian line.

We have prop. tax caps, so now there's referendums. If the local people want higher taxes to get nicer schools, well, then at least it's not someone in the Statehouse (or worse DC) making that choice.

Top Bottom