• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Hello all,

Short time reader 1st time poster. Ive recently gotten back into guns and have been looking to get my first gun/handgun (growing up we had .22 long rifles). Ive done a few searches (maybe im horrible at it) and wasnt able to find much info about the questions i have for the Smith and Wesson M&P 40 cal or the Springfield XDM 40 cal. Ill be going to the range today or tomorrow to try them out in a side by side comparison, but was wondering if anyone here could help me out with a question or 2.

As of right now im leaning more towards the XDM, but was wondering if any of you could provide some feedback on reliability and durability of the 2 guns. I understand some people cannot stand the grip safety the XDM has which is why they dont like the gun, im not sure if that will be a problem for me or not, will find out soon though!

Thanks!

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Both models are reliable and durable. This comparison is common (including the Glock 22). Really you are doing the right thing by going to the range and trying them both out. How the gun fits in your hand, and your ability to manipulate the slide stop, safety, ect will be what you should be focusing on when deciding which pistol is best for you. Joshua

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I highly recommend the XDm. There's not much to complain about on the M&P but you will find out when you shoot it that it has an awful trigger. The XDm has an exceptional factory trigger, an additional round in the magazine and the benefit of the grip safety.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I highly recommend the XDm. There's not much to complain about on the M&P but you will find out when you shoot it that it has an awful trigger. The XDm has an exceptional factory trigger, an additional round in the magazine and the benefit of the grip safety.

Well, I absolutely love my MP. It just fits my hand batter than any other model I looked at when I was shopping and just feels right. If I could change anything, I would add a grip safety like the XDm. I think you can't go wrong either way.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    The grip safety is of no concern to me, but I can't stand having trigger safeties. Admittedly the 2 guns in 1 is attractive for the XDm, but for me, neither magazine seem to fit my hand well and just felt cheap in the hand. I'm sure it's an exceptional gun but for these reasons I'm going with an M&Pc

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    M&P all the way. Ive had comparable models from all 3, and sold the glocks and XDs once I got my first M&P.

But that being said its all personal preference. All 3 are good, reliable firearms. The M&P fit me better. Drop in some Apex Tactical parts and its unbelievable! :)

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Yes M&P. Mine had a gritty trigger, but after installing the Apex parts kit-excellent!! I looked for over a year and went with the M&P, it fits my hand good and carries well also. It does not like the Winchester white box ammo though. It shoots them fair, but by far the worst ammo I have put through it so far. Congrats on a great gun!:rockwoot:

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    No contest. Get the M&P. Made in the US, excellent customer service, excellent ergonomics, quicker back on target due to the lower bore axis, more accessory options, can be had with or without thumb safety or magazine disconnect, and no useless grip safety. The trigger has been improved on recent models, and at any rate, can be turned into the best trigger available on a polymer frame pistol with an Apex kit.

The XDm looks like the hideous child from a one night stand between a Glock and a 1911. :):

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Well, I absolutely love my MP. It just fits my hand batter than any other model I looked at when I was shopping and just feels right. If I could change anything, I would add a grip safety like the XDm. I think you can't go wrong either way.

Don't get me wrong. I like the M&P. The trigger is just a deal breaker. While very few guns I buy go very long without a trigger job I won't get one that requires one. An XDm has a good enough factory trigger that I could leave it alone and be quite content. A few springer precision parts make it rival a 1911 trigger though. I hear nothing but good things about Apex parts but I haven't shot an Apex equipped M&P yet. I just don't want my only options to be factor in the cost of a necessary trigger mod to the price of the gun or deal with the stiff, gritty trigger.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    My personal choice is the M&P - I've got an M&P9FS and love it. My brother has one as well, and likes it so much he bought an M&P45C and then an M&P40C. He also has an XDm - it's in the safe most of the time.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Try a glock 23 if you have an opportunity.

Out of the two you listed, though, id say m&p. Granted ive only shot an xd .45, but caliber aside its the same exact thing as the .40.

I enjoyed the m&p .40. I actually thought it was a 9mm at the time which is rather impressive for such a snappy caliber. The textured rubberized grip was phenomenal. I believe both have metal magazines (negative for me, but since they both do...).

Honestly, I dont think you could go wrong with either. Get some range time in, spend time in a funstore fondling them, and pick the one you like. Good luck!!!

(I carry a glock 27 (.40) and a 19 (9mm), but I do not personally own either gun you asked about, take my advice with a grain of salt)

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Ford? Chevy? Nike? Adidas? Colts? Bears? Just go to the range and take the Pepsi challenge. They are all very reliable and pretty easy to maintain. Just go see what works for you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    ^what he said, except for that colts garbage.

ROFL ....

Seems like both are pretty good guns and it comes down to preference. Ill be going to the range in the next hour, seems like i couldnt go wrong with either judging from the reviews you have all given.

To the person who suggested a glock, Ill moer than likely be looking into the glocks for CC. Ive held the M&P and the XDM and glock 23(i think it wa sa 23) really liked the way the S&P and XDM feel in my hands.

Thanks everyone!

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I've owned both, but I kept the M&P. Neither trigger is something to brag about, but with some work they can both be great. The mags are roughly the same average price even though the XDm has 2 more rounds, and aftermarket sights are easily found. M&Ps can be had with a factory threaded barrel; not so with the XDm. M&Ps slides and the frame structure are through hardened stainless steel; XDms have a surface hardened alloy slide and alloy internals. The backstraps on the M&P don't require tools to change; a punch, hammer, and patience is needed to change the XDm backstrap. All of that and the M&P is still cheaper than any XDm. Even though the M&P has an edge, choose what feels best to you. I'd trust my life to either gun.

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I don't know if you have already decided or not but here is my 2 cents. I have both. The XDm (mine is SS) has a a smooth trigger. I think it might be slightly more accurate a longer distances (at least for me) due to the smooth trigger and the slightly longer barrel. However, it is definately bigger and heavier, so I prefer the M&P as a carry gun. Initially the trigger was an issue for me, but I have gotten used to it and now, I kind of like it. It feels like a two stage trigger. You can draw in the slack as you are extending your arms from a draw or as you transition targets which allows slightly shorter target neutralization times. If I had to sell one, I would keep the M&P... In fact I recently tried to sell the XDm, LOL.

You mentioned the Glock as a carry gun. IDK why. Glocks are wider than either of these guns and certainly no better at the range. I have never had a malfunction with either of these, but I have with a Glock and I will never buy one. Get the XDc or M&Pc depending on which full size you get and that way your guns have the same feel and you are used to them. If you are considering NOT carrying the full size gun (ie using it for matches) and you decide on the M&P you should have a look at the 9mm Pro with the fiber optic front site. It has an extra 3.4" on the barrel and the trigger doesn't have the annoying "crunch" between the first and second stages.

OK, well GL. You will like either one of these.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Kind of bitter .... The range i went to (buddy has a membership hich allows him 1 guest) didnt have the XDM or S&P full size, just the compacts (which pissed me off because ITS A HANDGUN ONLY RANGE!), not too sure how different they would have been compared to full size but i passed on renting either of those. Did get to shoot my buds S&W P99 which was sweet! If the S&P is anything like the P99 it's going to be hard for the XDM to top it. I was getting some amazing groupings for it being my first time shooting a pistol.

Hopefully ill get a chance to go to a real range tomorrow, this time ill be calling to make sure they have the guns i actually want to try out before i go.

My cc gun isnt set in stone, i was/am leaning towards the glocks because of the good reliability ive read on em, though i havent heard much negative about the xdm or s&p compacts. Will have to try some glocks out along with some compacts before i make that call.

Top Bottom