• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    SO, when are you making the decision? Don't forget to post it. Everyone wants to hear all about your new M&P:rockwoot:

HAHAHA, Funny you should say that.... I was at the gun store pricing the 2, and the XDM was $195 more than the M&P, and i also just found out Springfields (except maybe the 1911's?) are made in Brazil which shocked me, i always thought they were made in the U.S. which is another strike for the XDM. So unless i shoot the XDM a hell of alot better than the M&P its pretty much no contest. Now im not sure if i was pricing a standard M&P or the Pro series which seems like a much have if i go with the M&P. On another note, looks like there will be a gun show here on June 4th and 5th, so i may try to hold out till then to buy one (I hear guns are typically cheaper at shows). Should be a good time.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    HAHAHA, Funny you should say that.... I was at the gun store pricing the 2, and the XDM was $195 more than the M&P, and i also just found out Springfields (except maybe the 1911's?) are made in Brazil which shocked me, i always thought they were made in the U.S. which is another strike for the XDM. So unless i shoot the XDM a hell of alot better than the M&P its pretty much no contest. Now im not sure if i was pricing a standard M&P or the Pro series which seems like a much have if i go with the M&P. On another note, looks like there will be a gun show here on June 4th and 5th, so i may try to hold out till then to buy one (I hear guns are typically cheaper at shows). Should be a good time.

I bought my M&P9 Pro 4.25" with night sites from Bud's Gun Shop for $564 +/- a few dollars... I like the XDm but don't think it's worth the extra $100 or so more than the Glock or M&P :twocents:

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    i also just found out Springfields (except maybe the 1911's?) are made in Brazil which shocked me, i always thought they were made in the U.S. which is another strike for the XDM.

Springfield 1911 frames are made in Brazil. The XD and XDm pistols are made in Croatia. "Springfield Armory," the company, has nothing to do with the actual Springfield Armory in Massachusetts, which closed in 1968. The company name is merely a marketing gimmick.

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    Correct. XD and XDm are made in Croatia. I bought my M&P Pro 9mm for $579. It was the same price at the Indy 1500 gun show as it was in the shop. I've been to the last two shows and i was personally disappointed in the lack of deals. Again, my opinion, don't hold your breath.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IMHO, go with the M&P. I have the M&P 9, 45 Full, 45 Mid and 45c. The M&Ps are simply great guns. At a class once I put over 1800 rounds through it without cleaning. Never failed, one time!
    Not to throw a wrench into your thoughts, but here goes: If you are open to it, try the 9MM and the 40 you mentioned. IMHO the 9mm is a better round for many in the accuracy department and does not give up much at all in effectiveness in a defensive round. The 40 is a bit more kick, without that much added effectiveness.
    That said, I usually carry my 45. :-)

Not thread-jacking or reigniting the endless ammo debate. Just asking, if you are trying the two guns, have you thought through the caliber question as well.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    for the OP, my dad went through the same last year. He ended up with the M&P 40 as his carry gun.

I saw some talking about the price differences. Remember, the XDm is the "upgraded" version of the XD, like the M&P Pro is the upgraded version of the M&P. I know a lot of people who pass on the Pro and get the M&P and spend the difference on the Apex trigger... makes all the difference in the world.

I saw some commenting on Glocks, but Glocks don't fit everyone. All one has to do is pick up up, either they like it or don't.

I was all set on an XDm last year after seeing all the upgrades and watch Rob Leatham's videos, but I didn't like the high slide.

Everyone else's opinions shouldn't matter to you, they are both popular and good guns. Find what you like.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    $100 more? I paid $584 for a XD tactical and $598 for a XDm45.

Last time I checked out XDm they were $625 or more...seeing some M&P9 or 40 for $478 - $525 plus Glock's Gen 3 are $525....After my first experience with XDm I had no interest in one so haven't checked to see if some places are dropping prices.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I stumbled on the link below off of an ammo ballistics thread. The source is a well respected LEO. I've never fired an XD. I know there are MANY on here that love them. Not to thread jack, (or "bash" the ED), but is the comment below accurate? Is it an issue on early generations or still current?

"XD's are a no go for serious use--the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult with the XD--this is a deal breaker for me. In addition, in some government tests, XD's (particularly the .40's) have broken a lot of parts compared to other pistols being tested...I'll take a 9 mm Glock or M&P any day of the week over an XD."

Link to thread: Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

swtoombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Indianapolis - Southside
    I recently purchased an M&P9c and quite frankly couldn't be more happy with it. The trigger does take a little getting used to but I have warmed up to it and actually like the feel of it.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Have both XDm and M&Pc in .40. Both great so far, but the M&P fits the hand perfectly. The higher bore axis on the XDm is also noticeable but not a deal breaker IMO. Personally can't wait to try a full size M&P, might just end up replacing the XDm. But as always, try both and pick your favorite flavor.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    There isn't a right answer since we are all working from option. Quality, reliablity, accuracy, weight, and more are all similar to each other (Glock,XDM, M&P, FN....). My preference is the XDM line. I have a 9mm and 40 S&W model (both full size). I found I prefer the grip and get the best results out of the XD pistols.

The only good advice is to just suggest you borrow or rent and see which works for you best.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I stumbled on the link below off of an ammo ballistics thread. The source is a well respected LEO. I've never fired an XD. I know there are MANY on here that love them. Not to thread jack, (or "bash" the ED), but is the comment below accurate? Is it an issue on early generations or still current?

"XD's are a no go for serious use--the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult with the XD--this is a deal breaker for me. In addition, in some government tests, XD's (particularly the .40's) have broken a lot of parts compared to other pistols being tested...I'll take a 9 mm Glock or M&P any day of the week over an XD."

Link to thread: Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

It is an accurate statement that the slide does lock up unless the grip safety is depressed. I can't attest to the breaking of parts vs. other pistols, but I do know that almost no LE agency issues XD pistols, for whatever reason. I used to own an XD, and it was reliable over a few hundred rounds, although heavy for its size (for a polymer frame pistol) and too high of a bore axis, causing more muzzle flip than a Glock or M&P.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    The only good advice is to just suggest you borrow or rent and see which works for you best.

Thats the plan... my main question was about durability as i havent been able to find any feedback of how they pass the test against time. But both seem to be pretty good from what i have managed to find out about them without shooting them yet

@Mike Indy.... I like the 40 cal as a first handgun, but i do plan on getting a variety of cals down the road, im thinking maybe a 9mm for carrying purposes (not set in stone). I do appreciate all the feedback though, thanks everyone.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I owned an Xd for two years and never had a single issue. I just happened on something I liked better. I was watching a show one day. It was either DEA or Fugitive Man Hunters. I know I saw at least two agents with Xd's. I do not see the grip safety as a hindrance, but I do not think it's necessary either. I like the Xdm's, but they are a big gun. I would not want to be carrying it every day. I also have an M&P, but it's strictly for range and competition.

Truckie174

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Pendleton
    I haven't read through the thread, but, I own\carry a XD40 sub-compact. My wife owns\carries a M&P40 compact. Both are awesome shooters.

What it boils down to is feel. I don't like the trigger on hers, she doesn't like the grip on mine. If it feels right, its the right gun.

Top Bottom