• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    I was in your shoes in January. I grew up shooting hunting rifles and .44 magnums, and in January was trying to make this very decision. I personally ignored the glock guys because they feel like a 2x4 in my hand. The xd, xdm and m&p were my three options.

I started out convinced I would buy the xdm, but in the end o bought the m&p pro model. The reasons:
    1. It felt perfect in the hand. Pure comfort.
    2. The Pro model has an enhanced trigger. I was looking for a production gun to shoot USPSA and this helped. A trigger job right out the box.
    3. The M&P has a lower barrel profile so muzzle jump was less. The barrel on the Springfield's rides higher above the hand so muzzle control was not as good for me.

I agree with the overall theme here, go shoot and the answer/choice will be your easy.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    If you are looking to an M&P40 check out the M&P40 Pro Series. On line they can be found for around $570 and will be either a 4.25" barrel model with night sites or a 5" model with a fiber optic front and standard rear sites. Trigger is better on the Pro than the standard models plus no mag safety.

I've owned and shot all 3 and the Glock is still king with the M&P coming in close behind. The XDm is a great gun but I don't think it adds anything more to the mix to justify the higher price especially when you get the same things with either the Glock Gen4 or the M&P Pro Series models.

Those are my opinions and worth exactly what you paid for them! Either 3 are great guns and will serve you well for a long LONG time to come. Just know that with either of the big 3 of poly you really cannot go wrong. Post up what you get!

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Kind of bitter .... The range i went to (buddy has a membership hich allows him 1 guest) didnt have the XDM or S&P full size, just the compacts (which pissed me off because ITS A HANDGUN ONLY RANGE!), not too sure how different they would have been compared to full size but i passed on renting either of those. Did get to shoot my buds S&W P99 which was sweet! If the S&P is anything like the P99 it's going to be hard for the XDM to top it. I was getting some amazing groupings for it being my first time shooting a pistol.

Hopefully ill get a chance to go to a real range tomorrow, this time ill be calling to make sure they have the guns i actually want to try out before i go.

My cc gun isnt set in stone, i was/am leaning towards the glocks because of the good reliability ive read on em, though i havent heard much negative about the xdm or s&p compacts. Will have to try some glocks out along with some compacts before i make that call.

If you like the P99, buy one of those. Really most firearms sold today are good guns and run close to 100%. At least the main stream quality brands.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have shot both, and they both performed very well. Personaly, I'm in favor of the S&W. The main determining factor is because of size. The Xdm is a large handgun. I do not think that the Xdm has a better trigger, again my personal opinion. Both would serve you well, it's going to come down to what you prefer.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I was in a similar boat a few months ago and I was looking between the xdm, mp, and the glock. All it took was picking them up and holding to knock the glock off the list.

I went with the xdm just because it felt good... but it was a close match between the to you are looking at.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Awful really think again

Though it's hard to tell by your complete lack of punctuation, I assume you're questioning my critique of the M&P trigger. If that is the case I have thought about it several times and shot a dozen different factory M&P's. If I didn't have trigger time with them I wouldn't have commented. The trigger is awful. It is stiff and gritty. Smith and Wesson has never been good at semi-auto triggers. That's just the way it is. I know the trigger can be improved and I hear the Apex kit makes it quite good but there is no contest between factory triggers.

Kbouma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Howe, IN
    I can't speak for the M&P because I don't own one, but I do have an XD .45 and it is a very nice pistol. It is very accurate, comfortable to shoot, and IMHO, a very nice looking pistol. You can't go wrong with the XD. But try both and make your decision from there.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    If you buy a current M&P made in the last month or so, you'll find out that S&W made the triggers a lot nicer than they were. Still missing the reset but the grit and stiffness is pretty much gone.

SharkyZiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Fishers
    I was in the same position a year ago. I shot all three and decided on the M&P.

I am now the proud owner of three M&P's:
    M&P Pro 9
    M&P 9 Standard with Crimson Trace
    M&P 9 Compact with Crimson Trace

Go with what feels right to you! :ar15:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    If you buy a current M&P made in the last month or so, you'll find out that S&W made the triggers a lot nicer than they were. Still missing the reset but the grit and stiffness is pretty much gone.

That is good to hear. I'll try one out as soon as someone I know buys a new one. :yesway:

Scotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Anderson
    I have the XDM and love it! Although, I think the M&P is a better looking gun. After reading all these replies, I'm going to have to try out an M&P!

Top Bottom