• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    I bought my XDm 3.8 last year for $575 and it quickly became my EDC. After putting nearly a thousand rounds through it without a single hiccup I can honestly say I trust my life to the gun. I've never had a problem carrying it whether using my braces or stuck in my wheelchair. I found the XDm to be light, comfortable, well balanced, easy to shoot, and balls on accurate.

I do think the best advice has already been given to you though. Try each of the guns yourself and see which is a better fit. We all have our personal favorite and the bias that goes along with it. Don't let that color your perception of either gun. Whichever way you decide to go remember that practice makes perfect. The best gun in the world is only as good as the operator. Get to know your gun and train with it as often as you can. Happy shooting!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    More problems.... I live in Northern VA (Hope yall dont hate outsiders :patriot:) The closest range to me that has the guns i want to try out is rather far away (close to 100 miles). The local range i do have access to has the XDM and M&P compacts, which is as close as im going to come to testing the two guns side by side shooting wise, short of buying them first. My question is, how different would the compacts be from te full sizes? Would trying the compacts give me a good idea of the differences of the full sizes?

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I'm not certain about the M&P line but the XDM compacts can use magazine extensions that make the grip the same as a full-size XDM. If the range has those available then it would be all but identical to the full size XDM, with the exception of the shorter barrel (assuming you're looking at the 4.5" XDM).

I believe the M&P compacts can use magazine extensions as well but I don't know how closely they mirror the full size pistols.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I've owned 2 XDm pistols and really liked them both. My very gun was a full size XDm in 9mm. I had it close to 2 years when I traded it for a full size XDm in .40 with a stainless slide. Both have been great guns.

I've shot Glocks, but never owned one and I've never shot an M&P. I'm not trying to say anything is wrong with either, just that my personal experiences with 2 XDs has been very positive.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I'm not certain about the M&P line but the XDM compacts can use magazine extensions that make the grip the same as a full-size XDM. If the range has those available then it would be all but identical to the full size XDM, with the exception of the shorter barrel (assuming you're looking at the 4.5" XDM).

I believe the M&P compacts can use magazine extensions as well but I don't know how closely they mirror the full size pistols.

Thanks!!! Looks like ill be testing the compacts to see which full size i will be getting

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    Well, you've heard a variety of other peoples preferences, now you hafta go see which one you like. That's the big thing, what YOU like. You're doing the correct thing by going to the range and handling and firing each one. Go and form your own opinion on what works for you...you've done enough research to know that you are choosing between two quality polymer pistols (you could have thrown Glock in there as well), so you really can't go wrong once you decide which one fits you better and shoots the way you want it. Good Luck buddy!!!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood

IMHO, it fits pretty close with the X-grip on a full size mag in a M&PC. For that matter, I don't honestly think I need the X-grip when shooting the fullsize mags. Do I notice when they aren't on the mags? Maybe a little, but not enough to drastically effect accuracy.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks!!! Looks like ill be testing the compacts to see which full size i will be getting

Bad plan.
    Stay away from compacts period is my advice. The thing about the gun is how it will fit in your hand. With a compact you are still guessing.

Regular XD's are not as durable. I had three and broke them all multiple times. They just do not hold up. I went to the M &P and it has run like a sewing machine. Same owner. The XDm is supposed to be better than the Xd. I have access to one and shoot it from time to time. I like the feel but I am ruined on XD or Xdm from carry or competition.

I have sold enough M&P's that I should work for Smith and Wesson. I put them in students hands during a class and they often go buy one.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have sold enough M&P's that I should work for Smith and Wesson. I put them in students hands during a class and they often go buy one.

I'm one of those students, I now have 2 (a pro and a regular). Coach on a related note where does one get an airsoft gun that mimics the S&W M&P? Does this animal exist?

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm one of those students, I now have 2 (a pro and a regular). Coach on a related note where does one get an airsoft gun that mimics the S&W M&P? Does this animal exist?

They do. They did.

I saw one once somewhere and didn't buy it. Could have been Dicks. Might have been Meijer. I keep looking when I'm in those departments.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Can't speak to the XD but my wife and I both love the 9mm S&W M&P. I find the trigger on this MUCH better than many others I have tried. I own Glock, Tok TT-33, Astra, Kimber, Kahr, and several revolvers. Actually, I liked the double action Kahr trigger better than any other semi-auto.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Bad plan.
    Stay away from compacts period is my advice. The thing about the gun is how it will fit in your hand. With a compact you are still guessing.

Regular XD's are not as durable. I had three and broke them all multiple times. They just do not hold up. I went to the M &P and it has run like a sewing machine. Same owner. The XDm is supposed to be better than the Xd. I have access to one and shoot it from time to time. I like the feel but I am ruined on XD or Xdm from carry or competition.

I'm with Coach on this one; maybe further down the line looking for a compact to complement your full-size nine would be in order but for a first go full-sized. The only exception for me on this is the Glock 19 since it is a tad bigger than most other compacts but still compact enough itself to make a difference. Full-sized versions are so much easier on the hands to learn on and once you find the gun for you then move towards the compacts. Just my :twocents:.

For CC it is more about dress, a good holster/belt and attitude than the size of the gun. I carry a Glock21 all the time and haven't been made yet. I currently carry an M&P9 full size for the warmer weather OWB with just long/oversized t-shirts and still haven't been busted. If you act like you are doing something wrong people will assume you are doing something wrong! :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I'm with Coach on this one; maybe further down the line looking for a compact to complement your full-size nine would be in order but for a first go full-sized. The only exception for me on this is the Glock 19 since it is a tad bigger than most other compacts but still compact enough itself to make a difference. Full-sized versions are so much easier on the hands to learn on and once you find the gun for you then move towards the compacts. Just my :twocents:.

For CC it is more about dress, a good holster/belt and attitude than the size of the gun. I carry a Glock21 all the time and haven't been made yet. I currently carry an M&P9 full size for the warmer weather OWB with just long/oversized t-shirts and still haven't been busted. If you act like you are doing something wrong people will assume you are doing something wrong! :D

Short of driving 100 miles im not going to be able to try out the full size versions. I was just hoping that shooting the compacts would give me a feel for the full size versions (the compacts are the only ones the range around here has). If i like the M&Pc better than the XDMc is there a pretty good chance i would like the full size better as well is my question now.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Short of driving 100 miles im not going to be able to try out the full size versions. I was just hoping that shooting the compacts would give me a feel for the full size versions (the compacts are the only ones the range around here has). If i like the M&Pc better than the XDMc is there a pretty good chance i would like the full size better as well is my question now.

Ouch! Being in that predicament stinks! If that is the best to go on then that is the best you can do. There is probably some merit in that; I misunderstood thinking you were looking to purchase the compact over the full-sized...I tend to skim rather than fully read and it gets me in trouble on occasion! :D

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Bad plan.

Just curious on the Xd's of yours that broke. What was the round count?

Top Bottom